Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Mountain bike tool kit
  • reedspeed
    Free Member

I’m thinking of buying a complete bike tool kit with a budget of £50 !,whose the best & where’s the best deals for it please ?.

damascus
    Free Member

What do you need?

For example if you run sealed bearing hubs you don’t need cone spanners.

Are you going to install your own headsets?

You might be better off just buying the bits you need/know how to use

I just have

Hollowtech bb remover (I use shimano xt cranks)
    Chain whip and cassette remover
    Chain tool/splitter
    Chain checker
    Pedal spanner
    Park tool allen key multi tool x’s
    Syringes for bleeding shimano xt brakes
    Rubber hammer
    Plyers and good quality cable cutters
    Hope bottom bracket tool for pressing bearings
    A few screw drivers
    Tyre levers

Never needed anything else and when I do I use my lbs

Ive probably missed a few things.

tmb467
    Free Member

Work out what you need to fix your own bike

Allen keys are an essential so get decent ones.
    Bottom bracket tool is always useful as are the bits to bleed yer brakes.
    A decent bike stand will save your back much pain

Torx keys and a screwdriver set can be useful as is a decent set of cable cutters

Grease (many kinds), bearings of various sizes and a pedal spanner and a socket big enough to take apart your forks to service em

Once you’ve got those bits then look to your wheels to build em

£50 is a good start!

TiRed

Buy as you need and don’t buy cheap. Any tool set for £50 will have some (perhaps not all) duff tools.

For example, my cable cutter cost £25 from Screwfix. It is fantastic and I wish I’d bought it years ago. I used it to trim SKS mudguard stays. Try that with a set of pliers 😉

butcher

Buy as you need and don’t buy cheap. Any tool set for £50 will have some (perhaps not all) duff tools.

This is mostly true of tools, I think. But, I got my toolkit from Aldi for £25 and it’s great. Sure it’s not all top quality, but I’m yet to break anything despite it being well used, and it does most jobs on the bike. Whenever I need anything else I can fork out for some top quality tools as and when, without dropping a huge lump sum. It’s worked out well for me.

There are similar kits all over eBay, and in various stores (usually for a little more £). But as above, choose one that is best suited to your bike.

unsponsored
    Free Member

I have bought loads of tools over the years but really only use the following –

A range of Bondhus (they make park stuff) allen keys that fit the bits on my bike. Less than £10 if you shop round – http://amzn.to/19Mmtqq £10

Park External Bottom Bracket Tool – http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/park-tool-external-cup-bb-hollowtech-ii-tool/rp-prod4062 £16

Good quality cable cutters. I use Park – http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/park-tool-cable-cutters-cn10/rp-prod7202 £22.50

That’ll take you to £48.50 or there a bouts. You’ll probably already have a range of screwdrivers. Syringes from ebay etc are super cheap along with some tubing from a petshop will make up a goof bleed kit.

8mm and 10mm spanners I find super useful for bleeding brakes and other bits.

A great deal depends on your bike and what kit of kit can be fitted. But you can create/make tools for pressing/removing headsets/pressfit bottom brackets.

reedspeed
    Free Member

[list]I hear what you guys are saying ,as I too do have good quality tools,my snap on box was £3000 without tools,I can’t get that in my van !,However I wanted a small comprehensive kit to take with me ..

So I mite just make up a kit ,thx anyway.

joolsburger
    Free Member

http://www.probikekit.co.uk/bicycle-tools-and-maintenance-nc/ice-toolz-essence-bicycle-tool-kit/10772672.html?utm_source=googleprod&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=gp_sports&affil=thggpsad&switchcurrency=GBP&gclid=CLWa49qjzLsCFUzHtAodvmAAfQ

I’ve stripped and rebuilt several bikes with this as well as maintaining several others. Tools for Sq taper and HTII BB’s and all the bits you need for most jobs + a decent set of allen keys. nothing’s broken or rounded out.

The only additions I’ve made are some good cable cutters, a selection of torx keys, spoke key and a home made headset press.

I’m set for pretty much any job and the good lady got me a workstand for christmas.

robhughes
    Free Member

Nice one unsponsored.Needed a new set of allens as mine are getting a wee bit worn on the smaller sizes.
    Well spotted for that price. 🙂

jkomo

I got an icetools kit a couple of Christmases ago, I’ve probably used every one, it’s great.
    On one have a nice one cheap:
    http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/TOJWTK/jobsworth_tool_kit

Edit that icetoolz one above is the one I’ve got, it’s ace.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Mountain bike tool kit’ is closed to new replies.