Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Mountain Bike Race/Marathon over Cross Fell – would you?
  • ir_bandito
    Free Member

Testing the water here. As far as I know there’s never been any mtb races* over Cross Fell. If one was organised, as a 40/60/100km cloverleaf layout would you consider entering it?

*I know it can’t be a race as it would be on public rights of way, so its an event. Which could be timed, with random prizes. 🙂

If a small amount of the entry fee were to go to a good cause, how much would you be prepared to pay to enter? Assume event organisation would be done by a reputable company with lots of experience of similar events elsewhere, so would be well organised and supported.

br
    Free Member

Whatever you do, look at getting someone experienced (at organising) in to help/assist, and keep costs to a minimum.

And don’t date-clash.

martinhurton
    Free Member

I’d be interested.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Cheers. I think http://www.durtyevents.com/ are on board to organise it, so that’s sorted.

As for dates, I need to check the BC calendar. 20th July is the proposed date, which clashes with the British Heart Foundation South Downs Way ride, which could attract some of the same people.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Ah, clashes with National DH champs too, but I don’t see that being a major issue either, given who’s likely to enter something like this.

nonk
    Free Member

I would turn up for sure

peli

Would be interested were are you thinking of starting it from?

GaVgAs
    Free Member

I thinks its a great area to ride, but don’t underestimate the terrain and exposure up there, I have seen gale force winds over the ridge near Greggs hut yet its been a calm summers day in the valley.

If the weathers cloudy or even wet you would need to be sure the clients are well experienced in navigation as the trail disappears on the higher parts and its very easy to get lost,Its proper adventure stuff though and falls nicely into a loop via cow green reservoir and high cup nick.

I think there could be some interest in the keswick group so yep, sounds good.. 😉

martinhurton
    Free Member

Contact the Teasdale and Weardale MR Team and see if they’d be interested in providing medical cover as well. I know they do for some other events.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Cheers.
    Plan is to use Garrigill as a base.
    I know what the terrain and conditions are like, I’ve been up there loads. Snow in May? why not…

I’m hoping it can be marketed as a way to get people up there who may not otherwise go, ie safety of an organised event, so navigation is not/less an issue etc.

I think Mountain Rescue have already been contacted.

As soon as website is live I’ll ask the nice people in charge of STW to mention it. Nice to know we’ve got some entries from these parts 🙂

Thanks!

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I would expect that a horserider or rambler who uses Google to notice your description of the event and get it shut down after a suitable letter to the local PROW team

That’s assuming you manage to get all the necessary landowner permissions to even get to register it

Good luck

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Oh, as for route, I think the plan is to keep it simple: Over past Greg’s Hut to Kirkland, then back over Melmerby Fell on the Maidens Way. I know High Cup Nick is more dramatic (and a better ride) but given the potential for having inexperienced people out on the fell, it makes it a smaller area to marshal.

There’ll be an eastern loop or 2, too, heading over to Allendale, and up onto Hexhamshire Common for the hardy.

bajsyckel

Could be interesting, but it’s worth bearing in mind the N.Pennines mtb sportive was cancelled (due to lack of interest/conditions(??)) and probably offered as good a course as this might.

If you’re doing things officially, much of the tops are footpaths AFAIK which might cause you problems. And given a mid summer date is peak for walkers doing the Pennine Way, you’d likely want to minimise using stretches of that to avoid any potential antagonism. If you don’t go to the top then will that put people off??

There are a couple of obvious routes that aren’t ROW that you might look to secure landowner permission to use to loop round in the Eden valley and Cow Gill if you are going this way – you are probably onto this though.

Given the unpredictability of ‘summer’ there are a couple of potential routes that I definitely wouldn’t be interested in ‘racing’ or riding in groups on as they’d likely get even more trashed than they have been in the last few years. Can you get good and bad weather options that are fun to ride and would help you to keep the event on in all conditions without royally buggering the tracks up if it’s like last year?

Might be worth getting on to someone at the AONB in Stanhope and see if they could help out marketing it – might be especially willing if you are going for the whole ‘helping increase accessibility for people who wouldn’t otherwise go…’.

jonba
    Free Member

I would.

There is a relatively good number of racers and “event riders” in the NE so you’d probably get a good few. You’d need to get good publicity through the club websites.

Personally I think you’d need to offer something over me just going for a ride on a normal day that I can pick to get the best of the weather. I can pick an event any weekend so why pick yours?

bajsyckel

Just seen your rough route ideas – I’ve done similar variations quite that a few times and I think the cancelled sportives were similar(ish). And jonba +1

big_n_daft
    Free Member

There are a couple of obvious routes that aren’t ROW that you might look to secure landowner permission to use to loop round in the Eden valley and Cow Gill if you are going this way – you are probably onto this though

Why do you think you can organise any event on PROW without landowners permission?

What is your plan if someone wants to ride a horse in the opposite direction to your “event”

ir_bandito
    Free Member

the N.Pennines mtb sportive was cancelled

This IS the N Pennine MTB sportive I’m planning :-). I’ve had the organistion sort of passed onto me, so I’m testing the STW water as it were, to see what sort of support I’d get from you lot. Which on the whole is positive. Thanks!

I’m hoping we can market it a lot more succesfully this year. I liked the look of the Long Mynd mtb race that was on the front page the other week, thats the style I’d like to put on it.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Mountain Bike Race/Marathon over Cross Fell – would you?’ is closed to new replies.