Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Mountain Bike Pedal Sparks 122-Acre Forest Fire !
  • bartesque

Mountain Bike Pedal Sparks 122-Acre Forest Fire After Scraping Rock in California

clicky

MSP

Well I can’t access the page, but I am going to call bullshit on it anyway.

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

Apparently there were marks on rocks consistent with pedal strikes. Wonder if magnesium pedals are worse for starting forest fires. 😉

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’m impressed at the skills of the fire investigation team. Can they tell me if it was a steel pin or a magnesium body that started it? After all, it says they found scrapes on a rock AND fragments of metal. Amazing, as I can’t find a valve cap if I put it down in the grass but they found fragments of metal at the epicentre of a 122 acre fire.

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

And @ the OP. Missed opportunity for thread title of “which flat pedals for…..starting forest fires.”

MSP

Now I have read it, I will stand by my initial assessment.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’m impressed at the skills of the fire investigation team

I thought that, and even more impressed the riders skillz, perhaps they were riding one of these

bartesque

And @ the OP. Missed opportunity for thread title of “which flat pedals for…..starting forest fires.”

Ashy

good point I’m still fairly new to all this 🙂 and just out of time to edit as well

very apt user name for this thread tho

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

😆

BearBack
    Free Member

I’ve seen a pretty big spark come off a rock pedal strike, and in tinderbox conditions, it’s not beyond the realms of possibility.
    Trouble is what sort of trail closures might we see for bikes if its decided by the authorities or conflicting user groups that bikes are a legitimate risk!

Northwind

It is just about possible that this is the cause. But it’s completely impossible to prove it. The “conclusive evidence” is just bobbins really, they found scrapes in a rock but they can’t date them.

holst
    Free Member

I once saw a nighttime crash between school kid riding with no lights texting on a phone and an old guy. The old guy saw him at the last second and swerved so he didn’t get it so bad, but the kid went for a big skid on his hands and knees with sparks coming off his bike. Was quite cool to see. I think it must’ve hurt a bit, he just kinda limped off with the old guy yelling at him about being a dumbass.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Mountain Bike Pedal Sparks 122-Acre Forest Fire !’ is closed to new replies.