• This topic has 10 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by pnik.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Mountain Bike Orienteering
  • monkeysfeet
    Free Member

So, just entered my first MBO event. Any tips for a first timer?

fifeandy
    Free Member

Don’t just leap on the bike and start pedalling, spend 5 mins with the map plotting a rough route and highlight the high value controls.

Use elastic bands to strap the map and control location list round your forearms.

triguy100
    Free Member

Also get a map board, can get the folding ones from Tiso/Cotswolds etc, very useful and pretty cheap.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Cheers Andy. Not to bad with map reading and it’s a 2hr event. Looking forward to it

bigdean

Don’t just leap on the bike and start pedalling, spend 5 mins with the map plotting a rough route and highlight the high value controls

Where’s the fun in that. Pedal like a nutter on a path similar to a dog after a fly, ride past the same control three times before you find it then get back 15mins early because you can’t focus on the time/ want cake.

There great, i’m not very good at them.

postierich
    Free Member

grow a beard buy some spd sandals 🙂

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

😆 cheers rich. Socks with the sandals too 😆

DickBarton

Porell waterproof socks at that!

jambalaya
    Free Member

You are riding solo I assume ? If so take a good few seconds over each decision / trail junction, going the wrong way for a minute is more expensive. Also being over the time limit is very expensive so don’t push for an “extra” stamp. Have fun, we’ve done the very social Peaslake one a vew times.

theboyneeds
    Free Member

Check? the notes. I missed out on a podium once because i didn’t read “footpath shown from West is actually bridleway”.

Not that I’m bitter.

pnik

Mapboard makes a big difference i made one out of an old a4 plastic coated ringbinder, gaffer tape, zip ties and rubber bands, worked well for a few trailbreak events. Remember the shortest distance isnt always the quickest. The road around the hill may be quicker than the muddy bridleway over it. Although less fun.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Mountain Bike Orienteering’ is closed to new replies.