Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Mountain Bike Cassette On Road Bike – 32T or 34T?
  • wurzelcube
    Free Member

I’ve got a compact double on my road bike (2 x 9) – I’ve been running an MTB rear mech for a while paired with a 34T cassette.

I’m about to replace the chain and cassette and can’t decide between a 34T and 32T – currently I find the gaps between gears quite wide but need a low gear to keep cadence on steep climbs (in hindsight I should have bought a triple but it’s not cost effective to change the crankset / shifter / mech)

Any suggestions for which one to go for or anyone else with experience between the two?

Bez

Have you considered just getting an engine?

😉

wurzelcube
    Free Member

I’ve got one of those in the car… but it doesn’t help with weightloss world.

iamsporticus
    Free Member

crikey – where and what are you riding up?

Im a wuss and find a regular 28T road cassette easily limp wristed enough for shortish 20% killers with a compact

On nice flowing 6-8% climbs 25T would be plenty

cheers

Tom-B
    Free Member

what size is your granny ring?

taxi25
    Free Member

Don’t listen to the gearing willy wavers, ride what suits. the 32 would tighten things up a bit. If your granny is 36 you could drop it to a 34 to keep the low gear, if it’s already a 34 worst case scenario pushing a slightly higher gear will help with fitness. 😀

wurzelcube
    Free Member

I’ve got a 34/50 and I ride up 20% climbs / arrows or double arrows on an ordance survey mapy.

I too get can get up the hills on a 25T but that requires mashing the pedals and at times getting out of the saddle. Using an MTB cassette takes stress off my knees and allows me to spin much faster and doesn’t leave me feeling exhausted at the top of a long climb.

I’ve clicked “buy” on the 34T.

alexpalacefan

+1 for 34.
    IMO the wider space between gears is more than made up for by that super-low bail out gear 🙂

APF

Mister-P
    Free Member

Having an 11-32 doesn’t really affect the jumps between ratios that much.

11, 12, 14, 16, 18, 21, 24, 28, 32T
    11, 13, 15, 17, 20, 23, 26, 30, 34T

If you use the 34T regularly then stick with it. If not then enjoy the tiny weight saving and go 32T.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Mountain Bike Cassette On Road Bike – 32T or 34T?’ is closed to new replies.