Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • motorways in england
  • singletracksurfer

just how crazy busy they are nowadays.
    well not as bad I it looks actually.
    no one uses the inside lane – wheeeeeee 😉

what is it with (not) using that lane.
    come on budge over out of the middle.

andyl
    Free Member

Not just the motorways. Roads in general as driving is getting worse.

Every time I go on the roads I see stupid/illegal/mindless/selfish/dangerous etc etc driving. One day I am going to fit a camera to my car and post all the videos on youtube. I am also going to get a big LED sign for the back window telling people that are right up my backside to smile for the police as they are on camera. I’m getting fed up of it.

Drivers on mobile phones really get on my nerves too.

Saw a great one the other day – Audi (sorry sensible Audi drivers) driver talking on the phone and tailgating someone going the other way. I look in my mirror and see he has “keep your distance, child on board” things in his back window!

falkirk-mark

Was glad to be north of Manchester on M6 the other week

crazy-legs

M1 is the worst for middle lane drivers. Even worse on the widened bits where it’s 4 or even 5 lanes. No one has a clue of how to use them!

donsimon
    Free Member

Audi (sorry sensible Audi drivers) driver talking on the phone and tailgating someone going the other way.

😯 That has to have broken some law of physics…

andyl
    Free Member

they were both going the other way!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

“Keep your distance, child on board”? I’ve seen either sticker, but never both on the same one. (bet it exists though) 🙂

sobriety
    Free Member

Drivers on mobile phones really get on my nerves too.

Especially when I’m on my bike, does anyone find themselves fighting the urge to shout at them?

andyl
    Free Member

deadlydarcy – Member
    “Keep your distance, child on board”? I’ve seen either sticker, but never both on the same one. (bet it exists though)

actually he had two of them :p, one on each side and I was generalising to what they said as (a) it was a few days ago and (b) I only got a glimpse of them with the little baby picture as I was driving.

Keando

+1 Crazy-legs

I live in Luton and its a nightmare

druidh
    Free Member

andyl – Member

Sorry, but the official statistics say otherwise. Fatalities and injuries are all trending significantly down and the UK remains one of teh safest countries in the world for driving and for road users.

nick1962
    Free Member

🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

sobriety – Member

” Drivers on mobile phones really get on my nerves too.”

Especially when I’m on my bike, does anyone find themselves fighting the urge to shout at them?

I do shout at them reasonably often.

bruk

A lot of reduction in deaths etc comes down to larger and safer cars.

However lots of people have no idea of how to drive especially on motorways.

I find you either have to drive real slow ie truck speed or fast where you are overtaking most traffic for a relaxing and safe journey.

Still better here than lots of other places in the world. NZ drivers are shocking and most kiwis will even admit it.

johnners
    Free Member

Sorry, but the official statistics say otherwise. Fatalities and injuries are all trending significantly down and the UK remains one of teh safest countries in the world for driving and for road users.

Maybe driving’s getting worse and cars are getting safer?

andyl
    Free Member

druidh – Member
    andyl – Member

But does that tell the whole story? General road conduct may still be getting worse but it is not translating into injuries and deaths which get recorded.

– Cars are safer so less reported injuries and less deaths from crashes. A crash which could have seriously injured or killed someone 10 years ago can now be walked away from without the air bags even going off
    – Maybe there are less actual accidents but more near-misses
    – Maybe a lot of the bad driving happens in traffic jams and it is not an instance that will cause an accident
    – Modern cars have safety aids which help avoid crashes by retaining control in emergency manoeuvres

Or maybe we are getting less of the type of driving/types of drivers who cause serious high speed crashes. Again it doesn’t mean to say that the standard of driving or conduct of drivers is getting better.

Too many variables to say either way. But personally I think there seems to be a lot more mindless and aggressive driving on the roads. Same can be said for internet forums 😆

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Maybe there are less actual accidents but more near-misses

Drivers today eh ? ………all they seem able to manage these days is “near misses”.

Bring back full contact collisions I say.

NZCol

Still better here than lots of other places in the world. NZ drivers are shocking and most kiwis will even admit it.

God yes, given we have very little motorway when people get on it they seem to be totally freaked out by it. Even worse is that there is a “if you don’t make eye contact it didn’t happen” rule so if you are turning R at a multi-lane roundabout people will ‘sneak’ on from the left even when there are solid white give way lines. But it’s OK because they don’t make eye contact so it didn’t happen. That is the second worst trait after driving up to a completely empty, open and visible roundabout, stopping then looking. That amazes me. No powers of observation.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘motorways in england’ is closed to new replies.