Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Motorway sign 'oncoming vehicle': what does it mean?
  • Markie
    Free Member

We’re on the M25 and the gantry signs are saying ‘oncoming vehicle’… Does that mean we should expect to see an OAP piloted Rover barreling towards us?

Oops, sorry for forum wrongness 🙁

khani
    Free Member

Pretty much yes..

Markie
    Free Member

Thanks khani. On full alert, but our exit just now thankfully!

Markie
    Free Member

Thanks khani. On full alert, but our exit just now thankfully!

Double alert!

maccruiskeen

I phoned my granddad on the motorway as there had been a newsflash on the radio and I thought I better warn him there was some mad man driving the wrong way down the carriageway. “Theres not just one” he replied, “theres bloody hundreds of them”

khani
    Free Member

I’ve seen it a couple of times and putting myself at risk of a STW flogging I got into the middle lane and sat there, at least I’d have two directions to wildly swerve to avoid them…

maxtorque

^^^this. Slow down a bit (but keep with the “flow”), make sure you are not next to another car to either your left or right (you should always be in your “bubble” anyway), and back right off the vehicle ahead to give you time to react. Last thing you need is the van ahead you are tailgating to suddenly swerve out of the way and leave you facing an oncoming car!

Drivers natural reactions is to automatically swerve to the left to avoid something, because that is the “correct” side of the road. Be prepared to go right if necessary!!

The other absolutely safe action is to stop tailgate a massive HGV…….. 😉

gravity-slave
    Free Member

I was coming back from the premier of Between the Tapes in Birmingham a few years ago. 3am, 3 drunk sleepy people in the car. Going fast in the middle lane of the M1.

All of a sudden I saw something, our car jumped sideways and everyone woke up saying “What was that?”

Next thing, all the signs light up ‘Oncoming vehicle’.

Said oncoming vehicle was in our carriageway, fast lane and had passed us at a closing speed of somewhere around 180ish about 6 inches away – the air pressure gave us the jolt.

Terrifying!

anagallis_arvensis

Surely they would just try and stop traffic by closing all lanes?

Northwind

It’s a bit like those signs you see in the highlands- “Oncoming traffic in middle of road”. Never really says what the correct response is though, think it’s just to give you time for a quick prayer before death.

petrieboy

^^yup^^ my favourite is “falling rocks” WTF are you supposed to do with that information!!

higgo
    Free Member

my favourite is “falling rocks” WTF are you supposed to do with that information!!

Speed up. Get out of the danger zone as fast as possible.

Gary_C

I saw one of those gantry signs that said ‘Sign not in use’…Err..

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Surely they would just try and stop traffic by closing all lanes?

The signs we saw were accompanied by the speedlimit flashing and rapidly falling – 60, 50, 40, 30 – as we headed towards the sign.

I did wonder how they’d stop the car – imagine the logistics of trying to get ahead of a car speeding at 90mph in the wrong direction to close the road.

Northwind

Gary_C – Member

I saw one of those gantry signs that said ‘Sign not in use’…Err..

Another one I like is “RED X IS MANDATORY”. Oh man, I forgot my red X 🙁

cbike
    Free Member

Another one I like is “RED X IS MANDATORY”. Oh man, I forgot my red X

I have a chum who stated to me in all seriousness. ” I didn’t realise it was the law to put that redex stuff in your engine” heheh!

samuri
    Free Member

“theres bloody hundreds of them”

proper lol!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Motorway sign 'oncoming vehicle': what does it mean?’ is closed to new replies.