Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Motorway Pub??
  • Pigface
    Free Member

Quite irrational but don’t like the sound of motorway pub. Just seems very wrong to me.

650bri
    Free Member

wheres this?

MrsToast
    Free Member
    Pigface
    Free Member

Ninja edit, thanks Mrs Toast

piemonster

Hmm, not sure about this

Stoner
    Free Member

My initial instinct was a bit as above, however, if neither the local police force have made public representations nor the local council have sufficient concerns to block the planning application then Wetherspoons must have put a fair bit of effort into meeting their concerns. Even Brake have been careful not to go all wailing and a’gnashing of teeth over it yet.

peterfile
    Free Member

I used to do Turin to Lake Garda or Turin to Cervinia once per week (someone else was always driving).

We used to stop off pretty regularly along the way for coffee and beer. They have motorway “diners” which have bars. They couldn’t understand why we thought it unusual, since you could buy alcohol pretty much everywhere else, including where the road started, where it goes and plenty of places along the way.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Coach parties will love it!

peterfile
    Free Member

Coach parties will love it!

Coach drivers may not!

parkesie
    Free Member

Nothing to be worried about we have 4 pubs on the road to and from my work and not once have I got shit face driving to work.

grum
    Free Member

I used to do Turin to Lake Garda or Turin to Cervinia once per week (someone else was always driving).
    We used to stop off pretty regularly along the way for coffee and beer. They have motorway “diners” which have bars.

I remember stopping at one of the bars on the motorway in Italy – they had a sign up saying they wouldn’t serve booze that was over 20% strength, for safety reasons!

piemonster

I’ve often thought Italians would be safer driving after alcohol consumption. Can’t be any worse than they are sober surely.

totalshell

i ve heard that you can go into a pub and dont have to drink till it comes out of your ears.. in fact i ve seen plenty of folk kicking back ,chillin and enjoying life in pubs without having to do the above.

andytherocketeer

German (and Austrian?) autobahn services sell beer. And several biergartens located by carparks that will park 50x more cars than the average UK pub, although best of all… with a huge array of bike racks 🙂

I guess wetherspoons are in it more for the overpriced fish and chips than the beer.

Junkyard
    Free Member

seems an odd decision – of course not everyone will get drunk but does seem to be asking for trouble tbh
    When do we get our first drive through boozer?

MrNutt
    Free Member

odd, I thought that the weatherspoon demographic was unemployed fifty year old dribblers, I guess they’re hoping to capitalise on the uninsured twenty year old chav racer market?

wattsymtb
    Free Member

seems an odd decision – of course not everyone will get drunk but does seem to be asking for trouble tbh
    When do we get our first drive through boozer?

I have a mate that has recently been working in Louisiana and he says they have drive though everything. They had a drive through cocktail bar. There is a similar rule to the one (I believe) we have in this country that you can’t actually drink and drive at the same time so alcohol must be in a sealed container. Their solution to this is to give you a cocktail in a (presumably plastic) open top cocktail ‘glass’ but to have a little plastic cap on the top of the straw.

Apparently everyone drink drives over there as the city is so spaced out.

aracer
    Free Member

Apparently everyone drink drives over there as the city is so spaced out.

I guess if you’re already spaced out, being drunk as well doesn’t make that much difference.

totalshell

no law prohibitibg drinking and driving at the same time. there is in Aus a law preventing the carrying of alchol in the passenger compartment of a car..

redsox
    Free Member

shopping centre in town has 2 pubs next to the main door, in front of the car park.

Plenty Brewers Fayre type places have car parks and next to busy roads, for instance, the one at Kincardine

Not really sure how this is any different, surely if people are going to drive shit-faced then location isn’t really much of a factor

ell_tell
    Free Member

I started to notice that shops attached to service stations selling booze are becomming more frequent so no different really.

At first I thought this was tempting fate but really but come to think of it, I pass a few pubs on the way into work and I managed not to get smashed on the way in.

maccruiskeen

It does seem counter-intuitive but the point of service stations is you are passing through. You might stop for a coffee or some food, but not an afternoon of leisurely dining. So if alcohol is being served then its unlikely that anyone – driver, passenger or coach party is going to consume more than one drink, because they’re not going to stay for longer than that.

martinhutch

Where’s a Weatherspoons in that location going to find enough smelly elderly alcoholics to create its authentic vibe?

monkey_boy
    Free Member

you can imagine stag and hen parties up and down the country never making it to their destination.

globalti
    Free Member

Expect to see coaches stopped on the hard shoulder with lines of blokes relieving themselves on the verge.

honkiebikedude
    Free Member

Awesome , i can go and get steaming drunk jump in the car and drive home . Won’t have to worry about running off the road in to a ditch , i’ll just bounce between the crash barriers on either side of the cariageway 🙂

Cougar

It’s a non-issue, isn’t it.

If people are going to drink and drive, they’re going to do it irrespective of whether there’s a pub there or not. Conversely, if they’re not going to drink and drive, then the presence of a pub is irrelevant.

Ie, the problem isn’t alcohol availability – if there’s one thing alcohol is already, it’s widely available – it’s driver attitudes / education.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Motorway Pub??’ is closed to new replies.