Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Motortrackworld, takes deep breath….
  • boblo
    Free Member

Starting to think about the next motor as this one is getting to ‘that age’. Not old, not new but probably hiding impending financial doom.

Fancy a bit of a change. I usually run big diesel saloons (A6’s last few). Think it might be time for a mid life crisis and the wife has vetoed any 17 year old Thai Internet purchases…. So it must be time for a penis extension newer/quicker motah.

Anybody got any real world experience (i.e. not regurgitated Top Gear reviews) of the newish diesel Bi turbo A6 Avant or it’s fire breathing petrol cousin the RS6?

What else should I be considering in the ‘nice, slightly quick estate’ category please? (Japanese models need not apply).

Thanks as usual.

cr500dom
    Free Member

I can Recommend a BMW 535D, fabulous engine, Auto only sadly.
    I traded a 130i Msport for an M-sport 535D Touring and its a fabulous car, very capable, handles well, huge boot and great fun without the Mrs and kids in the car with all the Nanny state Electronics switched off 😀

The Original RS6 is a monster, In “Plus” form, quite the most bonkers family car I`ve ever driven, in ABT Guise, even better.

boblo
    Free Member

Thanks CR. There must be more to come from STW, it’s not usually short on opinion 🙂

slackalice
    Free Member

By excluding Japanese, are you not restricting yourself to the usual suspects of Beemer and Audi for large-ish and quick estates? I’m prepared to be corrected on that one…

Alternatively, if you do consider Jap, Subaru do a quick Legacy estate I think.

thepurist

Merc do some bonkers estates too – IIRC the AMG version of the E class is their RS6 equivalent, probably silly money though.

boblo
    Free Member

The current E class is as ugly as sin though….. :-/

tonyg2003

The only other suspect to add to the eclass/a6/5 series estate trio is the Jag XF estate or more bonkers the new Monaro estate.

thepurist

Jag XF more to your liking? Or don’t you want a dressed up Ford either? 😉

deadslow

What is your budget?

samuri
    Free Member

This is only second hand you understand so take it as you will.
    A friend has had a normal 3.0 diesel A6 for quite a few years, it’s a lovely car.
    He’s a bit of a petrol head though and for his next car he has been talking about Porsches, RS6’s and Aston’s.

He took out the newish biTurbo diesel A6 the other day and hasn’t talked about anything else since. I think he likes it.

boblo
    Free Member

The biTurbo is on ‘the list’, just wondered if anyone has it? The Jag is ok in saloon, not that keen on the estate. Budget? Dunno, probably £30k – £40k for something like this. Obviously I’d prefer to spend much less….

deadslow

Quick search on ebay reveals a E500 with all the toys, 80k miles all for 8k!

jam-bo

Anybody got any real world experience (i.e. not regurgitated Top Gear reviews) of the newish diesel Bi turbo A6 Avant or it’s fire breathing petrol cousin the RS6?

My boss has the newish v10 rs6. I recently drove an 800 mile round trip in it with him.

Fantastically fast down motorway slip roads and off roundabouts but you may as well have a target painted on the back.

Also pretty unforgiving ride, I find my 10yr old a3 diesel Quattro sport more comfortable and that’s a pretty stiff ride,

ijs445ra
    Free Member

The new Alpina B3 estate looks awesome

0-62 in 4.2
    190mph
    and almost 30mpg

no idea what price will be almost certainly top if not over budget

toby1

As you’ve asked for personal experience all of the A3/A4 drivers on here have nothing to add, either that or they have all taken the day off IT middle management for a ride in the sun, overbiked of course 🙂

I have a mate who is obsessed with Old hot estates, the C63AMG is on his wish list too though so might be worth a look?

boblo
    Free Member

The older c and e estates with the big lump in it look good, just it to find a low miler/good nick one.

michaelbowden

The AMG 63 engine seem to be getting a reputation for being fragile if you’re looking secondhand. The definately aren’t a bulletproof as the 55 compressor lump.

tonyg2003

Yep agreed about the c63/e63. Plenty of tales of engine problems over on the MB forums. Kinda tempted by a 535d at the moment when the time comes or replace my eclass. damn hard to find unless you want a hideous 5seriesGT. A car only the designer could love.

BTW have you looked at the new 330d quite a car and bigger than the old reverse tardis 3 series.

loddrik
    Free Member

Alpina’s are superb. Owned a couple years ago when I was into cars and they were the best cars I’ve ever owned and I’ve had some pretty nice stuff. Look lovely, come loaded with extras, and ride much better than an M BMW on similar sized alloys and sound unlike a factory BMW.

Not into cars nowadays but if I was and I could afford a decent one I’d buy another Alpina in a heartbeat.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Motortrackworld, takes deep breath….’ is closed to new replies.