Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Motorpoint? – Fair pricing? Good service?
  • dickydownes
    Free Member

Just a seen a car for sale on there. Seems a good price. Do they take a lot of fleet stock?

Just wondered if anyone had any experience of them good or bad?

tthew

An old boss of mine got a few company cars from them, good price and purchase process was easy. Sounds like you aren’t getting a brand new one, but I’m pretty sure he bought a Skoda was sourced from Ireland and didn’t have a UK warrantee. It came with a third-party/aftermarket warranty instead.

If I remember right, this wasn’t so unusual from them back then, but it was a good few years ago. Possibly something to check.

project
    Free Member

Bought a van from them, good service, chatty and humourus sales people, full tank of fuel, ply lined, and free delivery, no complaints.

KonaTC

Depends what you are after, it a car supermarket, bought my 3rd car from Motorpoint on the weekend, fair part ex, good service, free tea/coffee/bacon baps.

iain1775
    Free Member

Derby branch is local to me, bought car from there 5 years ago, good service, cheap price, threw in a service
    Looked at a few others since, never found salespeople overly pushy, just friendly and helpful. Test drive route was a bit short though

mattrgee
    Free Member

Interested in this also as I’ve seen a couple of cars of interest there.

MoreCashThanDash

Nice coffee at the Derby branch

Seem to remember they couldn’t do test drives off the cuff, had to go back another day.

They were great when we were just trying to decide what we wanted, could just wander around and see lots of different models.

aracer
    Free Member

My experience is 15 years ago – bought mrs aracer’s current Focus from them s/h, and totally happy with the experience (was a very good price for the car, and it’s been solid). By the sounds of things nothing much has changed – would happily buy from there again.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Last time I went to Derby (a few years ago now admittedly) the cars were parked so tightly together you could hardly get the doors open, if you wanted to look at one right at the back you had to wait for it to make its way froward so they could get it out hence the need to pre-book test drives.
    Availablecar.com are also worth looking at if you don’t want new (or nearly new).

cb

I’ve had two from them including my current car. First one mysteriously did 30 miles between the time I put a deposit down for it and the day I picked it up and spontaneously developed a ding in the alloy (they didn’t offer test drives in those days). I only spotted that when I had crawled to the nearest petrol station to top up the fumes they had given me. Initially they didn’t want to know and denied moving it anywhere other than the on-site garage. Informing them that I was about to park it across their entrance got a more helpful response and a wheel change. Interestingly, the wreck that I was part exing was on a low loader and being driven off site before I completed the paperwork for the new car – it would have been humorous to change my mind at that time! The car I bought had 15k miles on the clock and was about 18 months old. It was ex hire and brought in from N Ireland so had a plate ‘history’. I didn’t care about the origin as I was aware that Motorpoint did lots of that at the time but the fact that the car has gone beyond its service interval caused me problems with Ford, who said the warranty was void. I had to get an after market warranty agreed by Motorpoint instead.

The more recent purchase was a lot better – they have grown as a business since my first purchase. Quite a smooth transaction and an easy way to part ex something that wasn’t in the best of health. They still try and suggest that you need their ‘buyers’ pack – forget the exact name but costs 99 quid and is phrased to suggest it includes some kind of registration fee. It is not necessary or compulsory.

If you keep your wits about you and don’t mind ex-fleet / hire cars etc then it is a good and well priced place to buy. If you fancy something top end it becomes a complete bargain – there were some BMW 6 series on there recently for peanuts.

hora
    Free Member

Everyone sources from more or less the same sources, auctions, fleets etc. They just retail them in different ways.

Always ensure you check/see the service history etc BEFORE you sign money over and dont feel hurried along.

chestrockwell

They always used to source them from other countries so the spec was not the same and the log book should have been stamped as such. In theory they should have been worth less at selling time but that would rely on the buyer checking.

At least that’s what I was told back when I was looking at Motorpoint.

aracer
    Free Member

Depends what you’re buying – that might be true for their new cars, but the s/h one we bought (yes, 15 years ago) was UK, I think ex-rental or something similar.

dickydownes
    Free Member

Rang them up today trying to sort a test drive. Was gently encouraged to reserve the car for £300 and then could arrange a test drive?

Tried to go through their live chat to confirm if that was right and they said they’d sort it.

Was later told the car’s wheels were going to be refurbished so no test drive at the moment!!

duncancallum

I used to do their warranty admin. Not a bad firm by any stretch. Better than the liked of the one that rhymes with star…..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Motorpoint? – Fair pricing? Good service?’ is closed to new replies.