Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Motorola Defy – opinions please
  • muggomagic

Anyone got or used one of these? Looks pretty good value and I like the durability of it plus it’s an android phone so can add apps and track my rides.
    Main concerns would be how it would compare to other smart phones. I use my phone a lot for email and Internet.

blades2000
    Free Member

I have one, its ok but the battery life is not amazing (my Wife’s iPhone 3gs is much better). They have just been updated to Android 2.2 which is supposed to improve battery life but I find I still need to charge it every night.

Having said that for me it is not a problem to charge every night and I do like the fact if my baby gets a hold I know that it will be ok. It can also can be washed off in the sink to keep it clean. I use a case and screen protector with mine as I don’t trust that the screen will not be scratched.

The phone has the swype keyboard which once you are use to it makes a lot of sense for typing. I find the screen easy to read and works well in all light conditions. I also like the way that you can customise the screens and the notification lights.

For me it was the only choice mainly due to it being waterproof.

Hope that helps.

Nick

PS There are a few other threads on this if you search back up to about one year.

Garry_Lager

I rate it, but I don’t have anything to compare it to as it’s the first modern phone I’ve owned. Well, it’s miles better than my wife’s LC effort but that’s about the breadth of my experience.
    I use the k9 app for email which is fine for me – there is a facility which comes with the phone to synch various accounts, friendface etc if you use a lot of social media. Don’t think I’ll ever be happy writing a lengthy email on a touchscreen, but I can’t see how they could do it better – the predictive word choice works very well.
    Durability seems good so far – lash it in the jersey pocket for a ride. Mine has one or two foibles with re-booting but I get the impression that smartphones are a few years behind pcs, say, for overall reliability – they seem a bit buggy in comparison.

midlifecrashes

It’s an Android phone with a custom (bypassable) front end, easy to use, tons of apps and mine has taken loads of hammer so far. Wouldn’t have gone for a smartphone if the Defy wasn’t available. There are more bling and faster phones out there. You can choose any browser and email client you want so you won’t have a problem there. I can get just about two days of battery on mine. I never got on with swype, but like most things Android you just find something that works for you, the standard choice on the Defy is swype or multi-touch. Tracking rides is a doddle with Endomondo and lots of others.

Conqueror
    Free Member

I think its great value only the orange san francisco is better value but the defy is slightly faster and definitely more durable

heres a comparison of the two

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=3514&idPhone2=3391

morgs
    Free Member

I’ve got one and love it! Just one MAJOR downside though….

When I was talking to the sales lass (T-Mobile) I was told it is waterPROOF and shockPROOF – not resistant. She gave examples of 10 minutes in a pint of water and being thrown against a wall.

Mine stopped working (wouldn’t charge) and I took it into the shop where they said it wasn’t covered because the moisture-exposure tab indicated liquid had entered the phone. I had to shout, scream and threaten OFCOM & mis-selling before they sent out a replacement.

Love it though!!

muggomagic

Thanks for the comments.

Blade – Is it the same sort of size as your wife’s iphone? Looking at a bike mount and there are loads available for the iphone. Would be great to have on the bars with the viewranger maps.

I’ve ordered it so will see how I get on with it.

tracknicko
    Free Member

i have one. for £15 a month its unbeatable. works really well. not crazy fast in the modern computing world. but probably works better than a desktop pc from a few years ago!

Cougar

I took it into the shop where they said it wasn’t covered because the moisture-exposure tab indicated liquid had entered the phone

Isn’t it IP rated? I’m sure I read here somewhere that it’s IP67.

The ‘7’ means you can submerge it in water up to a metre. That’s ‘not as described’ under the SoG Act, right there.

richmars

Isn’t it IP rated? I’m sure I read here somewhere that it’s IP67.

Isn’t it only IP67 if all the little rubber plugs that cover the connectors are correctly in place?

neninja
    Free Member

Been happy with mine. Can’t be bothered with a case or screen procector as touchscreen never seem to work as well with one and they are harder to see in sunlight but despite that the screen seems tough enough – only a couple of minor scratches.

It feels robust and has taken a few knocks and survived.

It seems to work a little faster since I completed the 2.2 upgrade.

I’d get another if this one got lost.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Isn’t it IP rated? I’m sure I read here somewhere that it’s IP67

I believe it is and

they said it wasn’t covered because the moisture-exposure tab indicated liquid had entered the phone.

is guff. If moisture had enteered the phone, then the waterproofing is faulty
    Mine’s has survived a couple of drops, one on concrete from about 2 metres, but no submersion (yet). 3 or 4 months old, glass still wipes clean with no scratches or apparent damage.

tracknicko
    Free Member

neninja is there any chance you coupld post a link to, or do some instructions on the 2.2 upgrade?

uplink
    Free Member

My daughter has just killed her 2nd one

This one is now stuck on “bootloader 9.0, low battery, unable to update” – or something like that

Cougar

Reflash it. And, y’know, charge it up first.

They’re remarkably difficult things to brick permanently, you have to try particularly hard.

soma_rich
    Free Member

Just doing an update on mine. you need to download the motorola software updater. From here: http://direct.motorola.com/hellomoto/motosupport/source/SoftwareUpdateSelect.asp?country=USA&language=ENS

Then follow the on screen prompts I think it only works if you have registered your phone…

GlitterGary
    Free Member

I’ve got a Defy too – has a problem with the sound not working after about a month but got it all sorted.

If you’re going out on the bike you can just put it in your bag without worrying about knocking or scratching it and it does everything you need it to do.

Oh, and you can fit it in your pocket, unlike an iphone!

😉

uplink
    Free Member

Reflash it. And, y’know, charge it up first.

won’t charge, it’s going back to the Vodafone shop ASAP

tracknicko
    Free Member

that link doesnt work for me… the defy doesnt seem to be listed?

Cougar

“country=USA” might be your issue there.

birky
    Free Member

Updates to 2.2 are slowly rolling out; https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/50132

Cougar

The correct link is http://direct.motorola.com/ENG/SoftwareUpdateSelect.asp?country=GBR&language=ENG

Note that this is for retail handsets; if you’ve bought it on contract, you’ll need to go to your carrier’s website instead.

Does the Defy not support OTA updates?

TPTcruiser

Got one, nice phone, great value, experienced most of the positives above.
    T-Mobile UK slow in getting 2.2 through though.
    I get a good two days + from a charge with some GPS tracking of my commute and a bit of wireless. Usually these are turned off.
    It falls and doesn’t break up into it’s component parts unlike daughter’s Galaxy S.

Trailseeker
    Free Member

I got one on Orange yesterday, under menu ‘about phone’ it says firmware V2.2.2 – is that the Android version?

tracknicko
    Free Member

nice one team. i am all up to date and on 2.2 thanks to you lot.

decent phone just got better.

neninja
    Free Member

Note that this is for retail handsets; if you’ve bought it on contract, you’ll need to go to your carrier’s website instead.

Does the Defy not support OTA updates?

I used the Motorola software update as above. It does work for contract phones once set up with the provider – I’m on Vodafone and they went live for updates this week.

As I understand it Vodafone will be rolling out OTA updates over the next week but I’m impatient so used the Motorola system to get it now.

Sadly no 2.2 update for T-Mobile users yet.

neninja
    Free Member

I got one on Orange yesterday, under menu ‘about phone’ it says firmware V2.2.2 – is that the Android version?

Yes – mine is showing 2.2.2 as the Firmware version now.

muggomagic

Just waiting for mine to arrive now. I am going to be on orange too so hopefully it’ll have the latest software on. I keep looking out the window everytime I hear a car pull up. Even put the number plaque up that’s been sat in our porch since we moved in.

tracknicko
    Free Member

ummm. im on t-mobile and updated today!

follow birky’s link.

neninja
    Free Member

For t-mobile it depends on the handset I think – if you have a retail MotoBlur one you will be able to upgrade to 2.2 if it is a T-Mobile branded one I understand that hasn’t been released yet.

tracknicko
    Free Member

mine is contract t mobile. its not t mobile branded mind, its a standard looking handset.

on t mobile network tho.

flap_jack
    Free Member

anyone trashed one yet ? Mine’s still going strong despite a 3 foot drop onto concrete last week !

hora
    Free Member

Found this topic through the search function, any updated views??

tracknicko
    Free Member

someone was asking last week, and it all came up in that thread. search again for ‘ screen spazzing on defy ‘

ha ha

keppoch

I bought one a couple of months ago, very pleased. Battery lasts about 48 hours of regular use.

I think there is a new version coming out soon and there is also the Defy+ which I think is slightly more powerful.

Mine has CyanogenMod 7 installed on it from the point I bought it (2nd hand). This seems to work very nicely and has none of those manufacturer or network annoyances.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I looked at one, but despite reports and reviews to the contrary it isn’t either waterproof or IP67 certified – check their website, you’ll see no mention of it anywhere. They just say its “life proof”.

http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/XW-EN/Consumer-Products-and-Services/Mobile-Phones/ci.MOTOROLA-DEFY-PLUS-XW-EN.alt

spangelsaregreat
    Free Member

Hi,

I think you will find it is water resistant (1 hour under 1 metre of water is the spec).

I can testify to my Defy plus surviving a dip in the bath and many bike rides in rain and mud mounted on the bars in a case thats not waterproof.

Regards

spangelsaregreat
    Free Member

In addition there are a few threads out there in geek world about the IP67 thing. I think basically it is more or less designed to that level. However Motorola at some point removed mention of it in specs after getting warranty returns where submerged phones died.

I think that over time the battery cover may lose its sealing ability which would allow water to get in it.

It depends on how you want to use the phone, personally I avoid submerging it but I am happy to use it in the rain etc.

Regards

Garry_Lager

I’ve cooled on mine since I posted earlier in this thread – I do think it’s very good as a durable, mountain biking phone though.

I encounter a lot of minor problems with the phone being slow and laggy – like an under-powered pc with too many windows open. No one big problem, just minor irritations. I don’t know if this is something to do with the phone’s processor in general or if there’s something more specifically awry with my one.

If your priority for the phone is to use it outdoors on rides etc then it’s probably a good bet. If you’re a heavy phone user on top of that I could see it being a bit aggravating.

hora
    Free Member

If your priority for the phone is to use it outdoors on rides etc then it’s probably a good bet. If you’re a heavy phone user on top of that I could see it being a bit aggravating.

I think that would be a stopper for me then.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Motorola Defy – opinions please’ is closed to new replies.