Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Motorola RAZR – anyone got one?
  • ElShalimo

The new Motorola RAZR android phones are supposed to have great batteries that last a lot longer than the HTC, Samsung etc.
    Has anyone got one?
    Are they really that much longer lasting?
    thanks

nickjb
    Free Member

I was very keen after reading the specs, especially the maxx, but I had a play in the carphone warehouse and it really was much harder to type on than the s3. Maybe it wasn’t set up right but it put me off.

logical
    Free Member

Not as powerful as the Samsung or HTC’s either.

ElShalimo

Thanks
    Does anyone actually have one and how does it perform?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Got a Maxx here – only had it since Friday.

Battery is good – after I charged it on Friday night I reinstalled all my apps that I had on my old desire, did some browsing, email, a short satnav in the car, wife had a long play with the calendar on it, etc.

I then charged it again on Sunday night as it was down to 30%.

Charged up again on Monday night – was on 3g all day checking email, ebay also running in the background, and did a little mybackup restoration last thing – then charged as it was down to 70% – although my battery indicator only shows 10% increments now for some reason.

The guy next to me at work has a new iphone 5 – it was fun asking him where his battery was as it was depleting at a much faster rate during the day.

So widely better than my old desire.

I got some gooey stuff on the screen yesterday so washed it off with some soap and rinsed under the tap. On youtube you can watch people drop them into baths and then make calls on them.

I haven’t tried a different keyboard on it – I have smart keyboard pro – as it comes with Swype, which is excellent and rarely gets a word wrong – far better than using the keyboard normally.

Obviously the screen/resolution on the S3 is slightly bigger, which is useful, but the maxx seems enough to be a lot more useable than the desire and is fast enough, and the S3 look way more fragile to me and obviously is not treated for water resistance.

As the phone will (only just) go in my saddle bag on the road big, and it can get a little damp in there if it is chucking it down, the water resistance was a big consideration.

I got mine from mobiles.co.uk using one of the cashback deals – which do work but you have to be diligent to remember which bills to send in and then waiting for the cheques (a bit like the garmin edge 200 promotion recently…).

I am paying £26 for 300mins, unlimited texts, and 750Mb data – which averages out to £14 a month after the £288 of cashback. Alternatively you can go for the immediate £170 cashback cheque, which reduces the risk and hassle of sending in the bill scans.

By contrast the guy with the new iphone 5 next to my yesterday is paying £26 a month but also paid £400 for the phone!!!

I suppose the best deal would be to get an S3 on that deal (whch they do) and then sell the S3 on ebay which would give you a sim only deal for very little money.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

The guy next to me at work has a new iphone 5 – it was fun asking him where his battery was as it was depleting at a much faster rate during the day.

such japes you have

😆

Cougar

it really was much harder to type on

it comes with Swype,

That might explain that. Swype isn’t like a regular keyboard, it’s not intended for ‘hunt & peck’ typing. You would struggle if you didn’t realise how to use it.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

such japes you have

’tis true – at lunchtime he was down at 65% I think, I was still at 90% indicated, although probably 85%

thv3
    Free Member

Just got a Razr i as I wanted good battery life and something a bit smaller than the S3 etc which is more like a tablet to me. Comfortably running for two days between charging with my normal use without any rationing or battery saver apps etc. Even when I got it and spent the whole day playing with it and installing apps etc it comfortably lasted the day with a lot of use.

I just don’t see the point in carrying a monster mobile with Quad cores etc etc if it can only be used for a few hours between charging.

Happy so far.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Plus the kevlar back can be used to stop/deflect bullets if you can react fast enough – or maybe homeowner knives if you get caught trying to burgle them…

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

My mate with the iphone 5 says his phone is down to 55% now after charging last night…

Obviously totally different now, but Mrs STR had a Razr years ago – quite possibly the worst phone I’ve had the misery of using – and I used to have a Nokia N97 mini

Teetosugars
    Free Member

TurnerGuy – Member
    My mate with the iphone 5 says his phone is down to 55% now after charging last night…

Has he closed all the apps down, or just come out of them?

This makes a big difference in battery life…

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I had one of those uber-small Motorola StarTAC phones:

voted #6 in PC World’s “The 50 Greatest Gadgets of the Past 50 Years”, and the RAZR V3 is number 12.

50 greatest gadgets…

I dropped it on the signature black at Serre Chavalier, which is pretty much straight down, and had to chase after it – managed to pick it up on the fly though even though it had picked up a fair bit of speed 🙂

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Motorola Razr Maxx battery test:

http://blog.gsmarena.com/motorola-razr-maxx-battery-life-is-complete-makes-chargers-feel-lonely/

87 hours on their endurance test.

iphone 5 battery test:

http://blog.gsmarena.com/apple-iphone-5-battery-test-is-done-proves-itself-as-a-thin-powerhouse/

51 hours on the endurance test.

Web browsing is the highlight on the iphone 5, but that’s mainly because it doesn’t support flash (which will soon be the case on android…).

4 hours of GPS navigation on Razr Maxx, still 40% battery left:

http://blog.gsmarena.com/motorola-razr-maxx-lasts-for-4-hours-of-gps-navigation-has-40-battery-to-spare/

doesn’t say whether this is on ICS, which seems to give a better battery life.

Mine has been polling emails since I charged it, monitoring ebay for over an hour last night, in airplane mode overnight, and is now 60% after 1d, 7hours, 33mins on battery – without any battery saver or turning anything off.

ElShalimo

TurnerGuy – Member

many thanks

thv3 – Member

did you get a good deal on it? I’m struggling to find one with 500mins p/m for a sensible price

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I got mine from here:

http://www.mobiles.co.uk/motorola-razr-maxx.html

and there’s a tmobile 500mins one but only 250mb of data.

Lots of 300 min tariffs listed – get more data and use Skype more…

mobiles.co.uk are really carphone warehouse.

I am now at 40% and unplugged for 40 hours – so going to charge now, so it is working out to be every other night with a fair buffer for a bit of extra browsing or whatever. I used to leave my desire in a desk charger a lot of the time as it discharged so quickly.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Motorola RAZR – anyone got one?’ is closed to new replies.