Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Motorised Doping Report on '60 Minutes'
  • SaxonRider

I just can’t even begin to understand how or why motorised doping would be appealing.

Cycling Weekly article on the 60 Minutes Report

I know it’s been covered here before from a few different perspectives, but I still struggle with the very concept.

I mean, we work so hard to get fit; to climb; to make better times… It’s all so gratifying. Why would anyone on earth betray their own hard work by cheating like that? Seriously? I mean, there is such satisfaction in beating someone up a climb on my own steam; I can’t imagine thinking ‘that feels good’ as I sail past with a motor giving me an extra 1000 watts of power.

Honestly, what is the psychology behind any of this?

Ultimately, were Chris Froome to have been mechanical doping (not that it has been suggested, or that I would suggest so myself), I would be so so so disappointed.

flossie
    Free Member

I find it totally abhorrent in our sport! I can sort of understand chemical or even blood doping, but to put a motor in your seat tube takes cheating to a ludicrous level.

Wookster

I’d like to watch the whole programme, but can’t find it on line.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Merak

Cheating is cheating, be it blood doping or mechanical advantage. What’s the difference?

twistedpencil

Prefer the concept of mechanical doping as hopefully we’ll leave the days of people getting up in the middle of the night to thin their blood. Also have a sneaking respect for the tech that goes into this, less so for pumping drugs into peoples blood streams…

Having said that any cheating in any sports just sucks, unfortunately where money and rewards are offered more will take shortcuts to success. I find it really weird that people cheat in amateur sport…

SaxonRider

@Merak:

I don’t know. I take pain killers as needed, and drink coffee. From time to time, I have even taken antihistamines. Other forms of chemical enhancement are not to be excused, but they could be seen as a natural ‘over-extension’ of something we all do.

Mechanical doping, on the other hand, can’t be excused on any level. It takes a deliberate act of ‘sabotage’ to add a motor to a machine that, under no normal circumstances, has a motor.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Mechanical doping, on the other hand, can’t be excused on any level. It takes a deliberate act of ‘sabotage’ to add a motor to a machine that, under no normal circumstances, has a motor.

This.

There are some ways in which pharmaceutical doping cases could possibly be accidental, physiological oddity or a mistake. There’s no way a mechanical doping situation could be such.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Mechanical doping is just a cop out.

At least with blood doping, you’re injecting, or using blood bags or the like. You’re basically putting stuff in your body that could have harmful side effects. That’s commitment, that’s proper “hard man’s” doping.

Mechanical doping is the lowest of the low. No risk. Doesn’t surprise me it’s a team Sky thing.

You wouldn’t catch the likes of Kelly or Pantani putting a motor in their bike.

Merak

I’m failing to see the difference here. If I’m going to cheat be it pharmaceutical with no ambiguity I’m taking epo or using a motor in my seat tube what is the difference?
    TUE is a different kettle of the fish

Lol @ you wouldn’t catch Kelly with a motor but you might have caught him speeding out of his tits in the early eighties allegedly.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Mechanical doping is the lowest of the low. No risk. Doesn’t surprise me it’s a team Sky thing.

You wouldn’t catch the likes of Kelly or Pantani putting a motor in their bike.

The STW Lawyers will see you now…..

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

😀

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Lol @ you wouldn’t catch Kelly with a motor but you might have caught him speeding out of his tits in the early eighties allegedly.

Haha, yeah just reading “The Program” by David Walsh. Apparently Kelly hopped on his bike before a race and Walsh could hear a bottle of pills ratting about inside his jersey pocket!

bigblackshed

There’s no difference. Cheaters are not just limited to drugs OR motor doping. They will use everything at their disposal to win. Win at all costs. They are so caught up in the winning they convince themselves that everyone else must be doing what they do.

I’d love to see Lance and the rest juiced off their tits on 5000 watt motor doped bikes on 24 hour extreme endurance hill climbs. Rest stops for new blood, aero intravenous drip hangers, Russian levels of doping research.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Motorised Doping Report on '60 Minutes'’ is closed to new replies.