Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Motorhome levy vs Aire/Stellplätze article
  • ElShalimo

I found this article very interesting.
    There has been an observed increase in the popularity of parts of Scotland due to the NC500, lower ferry fares etc. It is clearly bringing in more tourists and revenue but also causing some minor problems with traffic, litter etc.
    Any thoughts on this?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Just clicking around his site, he’s a campervan’r so it’s hardly surprising he’s against any sort of tax on them and pro investment to cater to them.

On being told that campervans aren’t allowed on an island due to the litter, excrement, etc :
    “the lack of any formal parking areas means that some visitors will be put off altogether from visiting the island. We’re responsible campers and wouldn’t dream of littering this beautiful island; why should we be disadvantaged owing to the thoughtless actions of irresponsible others ? Informal camping provides a sense of real freedom; now we need to stay ‘indoors’ in order to visit the island”

Dry yer eyes mate, book a B&B, eat in a restaurant, and contribute to the local tourism economy rather than just the petrol station and supermaket.

Stoner
    Free Member

This is a more joined-up solution IMO

https://www.france-passion.com/en/

trail_rat
    Free Member

reading that id just like to say that nothing boils my piss more than people who think its ok to sleep/park (i refuse to call it wild camp) in a lay by and shit in the grass next to it ….. somehow they dont see whats wrong with it – when challenged they get all defensive – no your just a disgusting minger.

oh and some campsites do take the piss – someone tried to charge me 27 quid to park the van for 1 night near loch lomond- i declined. that just forces people to find alternatives as thats piss taking prices.

ElShalimo

@Stoner – I think that the Brit Stops site referenced in the article is a UK version of that

craigxxl
    Free Member

I spent my summer holiday touring around Scotland on the motorbike with the wife pillion. Brilliant roads and scenery but many stretches had very slow moving traffic. Not a problem on a bike as you filter past fairly quickly but every time you got to the front you could guarantee there was a camper there holding everyone up. Even when a layby was available it was rare to see one pull in and allow the buildup pass them.
    For me they weren’t an hinderance on the bike but if I’d been in a car it would have taken away the enjoyment, soon becoming tedious and I would seriously have thought twice about returning in the future. If others feel that way it harm the rest of the tourism economy probably more than the campers contribute.

alpin
    Free Member

Many places on the continent require you to pay anywhere between nothing to 15€ to park up for the night.

I don’t mind that, myself, as the local businesses are essentially losing parking spaces that car visitors could use (people in cars generally don’t eat and sleep in their car).

Was recently parked up on the border of Italy/Austria. Parking for the night now costs 10€ (was 8€ last year) which is OK, imo, but you still had people in their behemoths parking up 100m away on the verge. Wuckfits…. You spend upwards of 60’000€ on a spaceship yet want to save 10€ for the night?!

In other areas where there are alternatives I’ll choose those over paying for the night. There are plenty of spots around if you’re not a dick.

On, and tactical pooing… If you know you’re going to park up away from any facilities then poo beforehand…!

alpin
    Free Member

Many places on the continent require you to pay anywhere between nothing to 15€ to park up for the night.

I don’t mind that, myself, as the local businesses are essentially losing parking spaces that car visitors could use (people in cars generally don’t eat and sleep in their car).

Was recently parked up on the border of Italy/Austria. Parking for the night now costs 10€ (was 8€ last year) which is OK, imo, but you still had people in their behemoths parking up 100m away on the verge. Wuckfits…. You spend upwards of 60’000€ on a spaceship yet want to save 10€ for the night?!

In other areas where there are alternatives I’ll choose those over paying for the night. There are plenty of spots around if you’re not a dick.

On, and tactical pooing… If you know you’re going to park up away from any facilities then poo beforehand…!

dovebiker

Took the campervan for 4 weeks around the Western Isles and NC500 in May – motorhome traffic was noticeable and TBH I struggle to see the enjoyment of driving the Deathstar on some of those roads, not just the driver but the other traffic. I think the plea for investment is laudible – could only find 2 campsites on Lewis and one was full and locals should be encouraged to cater for demand. NC500 creates additional problems – particularly those on performance bikes and sports cars that treat is as a ‘challenge’ and perhaps a some well-placed average speed cameras would create a disincentive, particularly on sections where there are no short-cuts?

trail_rat
    Free Member

10-15 quid would be a fine amount

How ever because I was a campervan I was being forced to take a more expensive ehu caravan pitch despite not needing ehu.

So instead of getting 10-15 quid he got nothing.

alpin
    Free Member

Sorry, trail rat…. That was 10€ for essentially a large gravel car park. No facilities.

In France there are many Aires that are free, but maybe that is because the campsites are generally cheap/very reasonable.

However, in Germany, Austria and Italy campsites for a van plus two people often costs north of 30€ for a night.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i still dont feel thats unreasonable.

last time i paid 27 euro for a campsite it had a sizable onsite swimming pool and was in france in +30 degrees…. no where in scotland has those facilities 😉

aberdeenlune
    Free Member

It wasn’t that long ago there was lots of complaints about the lack of people holidaying in Scotland. Everyone was going abroad. Now with the weaker pound we are getting lots of tourists and there are lots of complaints. Make your mind up do you want tourists or not?

I toured the water isles in my campervan in July, had a great time and spent a bit of money on campsites, restaraunts, tourist attractions etc. What’s the problem? I think it’s time to stop whinging, invest in more tourist facilities and make the best of it. Britstop type sites in Scotland may be one way to improve things and if ferrys are a problem put on more ferries. Bloody hell its not rocket science.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Motorhome levy vs Aire/Stellplätze article’ is closed to new replies.