Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Motorcyclists – Spot the odd one out
  • nedrapier

All 1996 bikes.

Same cover, excess on all, TPFT in all cases to reduce variables

VFR750 -£99
    ZZ-R1100 – £300
    CBR900 Fireblade – £372
    CBR1000F (the lardy, bland, jelly mould Sports Tourer) – £399

Now I’ve given you a bit of a clue there, but it is odd, isn’t it? These figures are from Bennetts, but others are similar. Can’t really work out why the last one (which I have an option of borrowing) is so expensive compared to the others. Can’t believe it attracts a certain sort of nutter… ?

porter_jamie

Try fully comp and run the numbers again

benji
    Free Member

Price of parts or rarity of bits for it?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Lardy bland but comfy tourer many born again bikers buy for a return to bikes perhaps and subsequently learn it doesnt corner like the rd125 they had 30 years ago.

firestarter
    Free Member

I found a bandit 1200 was way cheaper to insure than a bandit 600. the guy said it was that the 600 was used by novices and so a bigger risk

6hours
    Free Member

1 + 2 + 3 loads of them about and probably lots of pattern parts on the market.

4 – Not that many around, Jelly Mould Fairing – Acres of plastic, easy to damage.
    Original parts if available will be hugely expensive or maybe not even available any more, limited or non-existent supply of pattern parts.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Statistics.

nedrapier

jamie – did that, all 25% higher.

benji, 6hours – I wondered the same, that’s why I stripped it back to TPFT

t_r, and fs – I’m thinking that must be it (assuming that they’ve not mixed up their CBRs). If the stats say they cost more money than the others on the list, it must be who buys them and rides them, and it’s not the hooligans, it’s the nervous. Maybe hooligans on Blades are a better risk?

thegreatape
    Free Member

Dunno. I always assume there’s just a big computer doing sums and so on which works out ‘based on everything we’ve paid out on in the past, this aged rider of this gender with this experience who does this job living in this place riding this motorbike of this age is statistically probably going to cost us £x so the premium is £x + a bit’. Or something like that.

rt60

If they are 96 bikes you may well be able to get them on a classic policy, that would make a big difference.

nedrapier

rt60 – kisses!

£120 fully comp with footman james! And £50 excess rather than £320! Only difference is that “garaged” was the only option for where it’s kept. Bit of a wrinkle, as there’s not enough room in the garage. But there’s a chink of light!

rt60

I am with Peter James insurance, if you join the Honda owners club for £22 for me that knocked another £50 off and I pay £76 a year for unlimited mileage

dufusdip
    Free Member

Agree with the above. Jelly mould cbr6 was rare as hen’s teeth for parts and the large expanses of plastics took widespread and varied damage even on minor offs. I’d imagine the thou suffered the same issue compounded by riders tending to ride bigger mileage.

nedrapier

cheers rt, I’ll call them in the morning, “garaged” is on their list of pre-conditions as well. The bike’s not worth a great deal, so fingers crossed.

nedrapier

dufusdip – I was still looking at TP cover though. Plastics/parts aren’t (shouldn’t be) a factor

dave661350

I’ve just done a quick ‘gocompare’ search and the CBR1000F was £102 fully comp (I’m and old ‘un with full NCD) it was no different really to a 1200 Bandit etc. Not sure what’s gone on with Bennetts on the quote

porter_jamie

i wonder why the vfr is so cheap? maybe because they are owned by sam brown belt wearing upright types. but then again thats who you would expect to own the cbr/f

nedrapier

Dave – I’m the problem here – one of them, anyway! Full licence less than a year, no NCB.

jamie – yup. Precisely my thinking. I’d have put the CBR/F 2nd to the VFR in terms of risk, then the Z, then the Blade.

tga – yup, I’m also assuming that’s the case, it’s just that the results are confusing here. Wondering if there’s some thing up with the system, or someone’s put the wrong info in (CBR1000F being mixed up with CBR1000R).

If not, I’m struggling to see why they seem to be as risky as the rating engine says they are. Either there’s something funny about these bike in terms of how desirable they are to thieves (??) or they have a peculiar tendency to hit expensive things when they slide down the road. Or it’s the people who ride them, as above, but that doesn’t quite stack up either.

allthegear
    Free Member

nedrapier – would it make you feel better if I mentioned it wasn’t that much more for me to insure my new S1000XR fully comp? Only 2 years NCD and 2 years riding…

No? Didn’t think so.

Rachel

Nico
    Free Member

Shirley the odd one out is the VFR750?

grenosteve
    Free Member

I had a BMW K1200GT (later model with 160bhp engine, not the older type) and my old 1980 R100S. Think it was about £180 a year fully comp for both last year.

I’ve now got a 2003 VFR800 and the old R100. Renewal was £330! A bit of negotiating got it down to £250 for both, but I still cant see how a £2k VFR800 is more to insure than a £8k BMW super tourer.

grenosteve
    Free Member

Forgot to add, try a multi bike policy, will probably be cheaper overall…

nedrapier

Rachel – Not surprised. If I add a year on licence held and a year’s NCB, the premium reduces by 60%

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Motorcyclists – Spot the odd one out’ is closed to new replies.