• This topic has 159 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by pjm7.
Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 160 total)
  • Motorcyclists of STW
  • wilko1999
    Free Member

Rode from Pau, south of France to Gloucester one day, on a 2004 R1, mostly in the wind and rain. The least enjoyable biking day of my life I think. Luckily the day before we’d done a track day at the Nogaro circuit in the sunshine, so the two days balanced each other out.

kilo

As we are doing photos and I’m not working atm, I give you my collection of shonky bikes!

Occassional commuter, no love showered upon it;

Lots of love showered upon it (and in mkeshift gardening mode);

One day this will be someones barn find as it never bloody starts to move from the barn;

Needs to be sent to our place in Ireland

hammyuk
    Free Member

9th December 4am Lee on the Solent, Hampshire
    10th December 5am Grello, Perugia
    25hrs, 1380 miles
    -8 degrees through the alps and I stopped calculating the windchill once it got to that on the dash.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Hammy, yep, once it gets below about 5c and you’ve got all your best kit on and all the heated things turned right up, the actual temperature ceases to matter!

weeksy

Today i was up at Donni with a few of the lads, was a strange day for bikes, i think maybe because it was a ‘noisy day’ so people were unleashing all the noise and all the bikes they can’t usually ride,

Everything from R1M’s to 1199R’s, then RC30s, RC45’s and RGV500’s along with another dozen 2 strokes, then a couple of highly regarded pieces of kit like a RCV990, the £150,000 Honda GP rep bike, damn that made a noise

However, we also found this thing.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/VrRmaS]2017-07-14_04-13-27[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/VuyQNP]2017-07-14_04-13-44[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Wt44DA]2017-07-14_04-14-05[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

Evrything on the bike was perfect, not just a little bit nice, but PERFECT, there wasn’t a nut, bolt or fastener that wasn’t 100% right, every little bracket wasn’t just a random piece off the garage floor, but was a custom designed and CNC’d piece made for function, looks and perfection.
    Forks were stunning, big stickers on stating they were Ohlins R&D forks and not for road use. The calipers were a work of art.

Blokey apparently makes the frames from a 500kg piece of aluminium and it’s then carved out, into a 170kg wet weighted bike. The engine is a WSB spec Yamaha R1 big bang engine with Motec electrics, Quickshifter, traction control, auto blipper etc. He was trying out the Magnesium wheels instead of the usual carbon ones and trying metal discs instead of carbon.

It was just the most amazing piece of kit

legalalien
    Free Member

Weeksy’s post got me googling. Came across this website that kept me sane through some conference calls today.

http://www.raresportbikesforsale.com

pjm7
    Free Member

Weeksy, that bike you photographed looks a weapon!
    Think I might have met you many years ago at Mallory?
    Myself, I’ve got Rsv4 race bike (won championship and came 2nd a couple of times on it) and a Bmw K1300s for the road.

weeksy

Certainly possible pjm. Been there a bazillion times

YoKaiser
    Free Member

These are my two, still learning at the moment but a work mate was moving them on and it was too good to pass up. Honda for cutting my teeth and the Guzzi is a project.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/WQ2rXp]Braaaaap[/url] by Bigbroondug, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/WQ2pDM]Braaaaap[/url] by Bigbroondug, on Flickr

shifter
    Free Member

I’ve filled my S1000XR three times in a day before now

That’s a normal track day 🙂

allthegear
    Free Member

Though how many track bikes have 20 litre tanks?

whippersnapper
    Free Member

I got my CBT yesterday, woo. First time I have ever ridden a motorbike. Enjoyable it was too. Next stop DAS. I may be stopping by here for tips some time soon.

hammyuk
    Free Member

allthegear – Member
    Though how many track bikes have 20 litre tanks?

My 10R has an 18lt tank and will happily empty it within 80 miles when “playing” in Germany, etc.
    On track even less than that….
    The 14R has a 20lt tank and I’ve seen 8mpg on track – do the maths 😀 (although its on an average of 38mpg in its 21k miles life so far) yet will do 52mpg at 90mph on the Peage
    The GS steadfastly refuses to drop below 42mpg regardless of how its ridden!

bakey

Thanks for the suggestions.

By way of an update, I pick up a Ducati Hyperstrada on Sunday – it is tall, but I can get both feet (well toes down). I’ll be practising my ‘supermotard shuffle’ at the lights and be on constant camber watch 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

My 10R has an 18lt tank and will happily empty it within 80 miles when “playing” in Germany, etc.

My bike’s got something like a 14l tank and it’ll do about 250 miles an that if I have to. I usually fill up every 4 days with 208 miles on the trip, about half the time the reserve light hasn’t come on at that point. 🙂
    Last fill was 205 miles on 9.97 litres, 93.5 mpg. 🙂
    Handy when you do the miles I do, it’s a lot cheaper.

benp1

Spent the weekend away with a couple of mates on our bikes
    – day 1 was twisties from London to Shropshire
    – day 2 was twisties from Mid to North Wales and back
    – day 3 was twisties from Shropshire home

Some brilliant roads, average weather though.

I was on a Blade with both mates on R6s, it was great fun. Would like to do that more but timing never works out.

The roads were genuinely epic. Although I’ll avoid some bits of Snowdonia next time

hammyuk
    Free Member

You get a nosebleed above 22mph though PP 😀

cat69uk
    Free Member

Stupidly think of riding down through France to Valencia for the final MotoGP in November on my 19 year old ZX9R. Get Eurotunnel, couple of stops overnight on the way down, and camp at the circuit. Obviously could be Baltic or nice, any tips other than don’t be daft :)?

whytelightning

Looking at some of the your bike histories I think I recognise a few of you from PBmagforum?

Cat69UK I did Valencia MotoGP back in 2008 and was really disapointed. Went for good seats as close to the track as possible, right in line with the apex of the first corner and although the view is elevated and you can see a lot of the track from your seat, even at it’s closest you’re quite a way from the action. I say action the racing more often than not is poor at the Ricardo Tormo circuit, even the moto2 and Moto3 races are usually dull there.

The best part of the trip was the Saturday evening in nearby Cheste, where the place gets taken over by bikes. It’s not enough to make me want to go back though.

tjagain

If we are telling tall tales I once emptied 4 tanks of 5 gallons each on my BMW at 40 mpg in 8 hrs riding 🙂 Not in the UK

nedrapier

Stupidly think of riding down through France to Valencia for the final MotoGP in November on my 19 year old ZX9R.

Stick it on the train at Paris Bercy, sleep, pick it up a little nearer:

Marge
    Free Member

I finally got just got around to getting my 2002 ZX9R back on the road. Its been sitting in a garage for 5+ years moving a maximum of 10metres in that time 🙁
    Fortunately a mates dad runs a bike shop who are doing the dirty work.

In the meantime I’ll keep riding the K1200R.
    Will get rid of one of them as soon as the Kawa is up and running to buy something silly 🙂

Northwind

tjagain – Member

If we are telling tall tales I once emptied 4 tanks of 5 gallons each on my BMW at 40 mpg in 8 hrs riding

I was kind of perversely delighted to get through 16 litres of optimax at knockhill, on my little SV650, worked it out at about 7mpg. But then less delighted when I realised I wasn’t going to make it to the petrol station 😆 Spent a ridiculous proportion of each lap at wot trying to keep up with the grownups.

hammyuk
    Free Member

cat69uk – Member
    Stupidly think of riding down through France to Valencia for the final MotoGP in November on my 19 year old ZX9R. Get Eurotunnel, couple of stops overnight on the way down, and camp at the circuit. Obviously could be Baltic or nice, any tips other than don’t be daft :)?

Don’t bother.
    Go to Misano or San Marino.
    Same journey time, the Alps, Italian coffee and better tracks/views.

allthegear
    Free Member

Or ferry to Bilbao and ride down through Spain – it’s amazing! Seriously, the minor roads in Spain are the best I have ridden anywhere in the World so far.

Rachel

superfli
    Free Member

Biggest race track in the world, I used to say! N111 Logrono – soria was a goodun

allthegear
    Free Member

Yes – I think I took some of the N111 on the way down to Teruel last year. I have a feeling there might be a good portion of my Michelin Pilot Road 4 spread down that stretch 😆

Rachel

epicyclo

tjagain – Member
    If we are telling tall tales I once emptied 4 tanks of 5 gallons each on my BMW at 40 mpg in 8 hrs riding Not in the UK

I once got through a brand new back tyre in 800 miles on a fast outback ride in Oz.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Any forum recommendations? Not interested in racing or tricks etc, cool bikes and touring type stuff would be good. Or any sites worth visiting.

nedrapier

cool bikes and touring type stuff

Not cool by any stretch, but my CBRF is great for long, fast blasts. Very linear power, can pootle along happily below 4K, but gets rowdy further up. Not bad for 21 years old!

Dickyboy

Previous posts alerted me to how many ex Moto Morini owners there are here, just wondering if any were stupid enough to “progress” to a Moto Guzzi Centauro*

* last ridden at RAF Benson a couple of years back & now requiring a bit of tlc 🙁

hammyuk
    Free Member

1/3 of that Weeksy will get you one thats fully road legal and prepped for road use properly.
    2 sets of wheels too.

tjagain

Nice one epicyclo!

weeksy

hammyuk – Member

1/3 of that Weeksy will get you one thats fully road legal and prepped for road use properly.
    2 sets of wheels too.

It won’t look like that though !

hammyuk
    Free Member

Will after a strip and visit to the powdercoaters 😉
    Two sets of bodywork too – so you can have black or red…
    Oh – and two exhaust systems as well…..

5thElefant
    Free Member

Any forum recommendations? Not interested in racing or tricks etc, cool bikes and touring type stuff would be good. Or any sites worth visiting.

advrider

mboy
    Free Member

So not even 12 months later (and a couple more bikes I should add!) and I’m picking this up soon…

Its an absolute weapon of a bike! That engine… What a noise!

pjm7
    Free Member

New race/track bike (another Ape)

Alvin

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 160 total)

The topic ‘Motorcyclists of STW’ is closed to new replies.