• This topic has 159 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by pjm7.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 160 total)
  • Motorcyclists of STW
  • Joe

Considering an R-Nine-T in Urban GS guise. Bored of my Tiger 800; it really is a gutlessly perfect bike. Great for commuting. Never ever makes me think “faaaaaaaack”. Maybe I should keep it and keep my legs.

smokey_jo

I’m also for the first time in my life tempted to get a test ride on a Harley 😯 the new Street Rod doesn’t look awful and from first reviews sounds capable of going round a corner !

The R9T urban be also looks good though, but it’s too spendy for me :/

In around 3 years time I’m hoping there a glut of these types of bikes ending up on eBay

allthegear
    Free Member

Erm – there are a *lot* of electronics in an R nine T! Exactly the same electronics as in my S1000XR, except the cornering ABS.

Rachel

superfli
    Free Member

Got one of these R Nine scramblers for the day when mine was in for a service recently

Bloody lovely! Really really enjoyed the ride. Fun and torque’y. But it could never be my only bike due to wind buffering and harsh seat. Fantastic toy though.

hairybiker84
    Free Member

Got a ’99 955i Daytona in a thousand bits in the garage since finding a piece of circlip stuck to the magnet on the drain plug! As suspected it’s from one of the gear shafts that has entailed a crankcase split to get at. Should be back together within a few days – I’m still smarting from the £200 for a gasket set (which still doesn’t include some of the seals!). Whether I’ll ride it or sell it undecided at present, not been on it for 4 or 5 years and quite fancy a 990 SMT instead.

alric
    Free Member

Here’s a couple of my bikes from 3 years ago
    [url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_76FPviyOedQmcteW9MbGZzckE][/url]
    I’d like to get another, either a sportsbike or a dirtbike

sorry if pic don’t work!!

wilko1999
    Free Member

My current bike. My 4th Aprilia RSV or RSV-based bike, for some reason I’ve become a bit of an Aprilia fan-boy, despite all their flaws. It is unbelievably good fun to ride:

RustySpanner

Have prodded, sat on and test ridden loads over the last few years.

The only one that actually had me genuinely interested was this:

That would make the commute a bit more fun.

mboy
    Free Member

So here it is, picked it up last night…

What can I say? It’s just awesome! The best £1400 I’ve ever spent? Quite possibly… I do love V4’s though!

My current bike. My 4th Aprilia RSV or RSV-based bike, for some reason I’ve become a bit of an Aprilia fan-boy, despite all their flaws. It is unbelievably good fun to ride:

I quite like Aprilia’s, never ridden one sadly but I do like them. Was looking out for prices on RSV’s but were still out of my range. That said, if I came into a few quid, next bike I’d want to buy would be an RSV4, if nothing else just for the motor in it… A litre V4 that revs to 14krpm and pushes out the best part of 200bhp! Gimme gimme gimme… 😛

alric
    Free Member

another try
    A couple of my bikes, 3years ago

It would be nice to get a sportsbike or dirtbike but UK doesnt seem like a great place to ride in these days

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’ve been riding motorbikes for about 20 years now, without a break. I’m the sort of rider that thinks if I’m only doing 3000 miles a year, it’s not worth having a bike, I can’t see the point of leaving something in a shed for 10 years, it’s a waste of money.
    As for the ‘too much power’ thing, well, I’ve had big fast bikes and you end up pootling round everywhere because you just can’t thrash 1000+cc bikes and live or keep your license for very long. I reckon the sweet spot is 70-80bhp and sub 180kg weight. I had a Monster 696 which I loved. I could thrash the pants off it without too much risk or scaring myself silly. Mrs PP has a Yamaha MT07 which is an absolute hoot to ride, so easy to chuck about.

A few bikes I’ve had:
    CB500s
    DT125
    SR125
    Vespa GT200
    955i Speed Triple
    Ducati ST3s
    Monster 696
    Piaggio X10
    CG125
    Gilera Runner 180vxr
    Honda NC700x (currently)

The Honda isn’t fast (47bhp) but I rarely use all of what it’s got anyway as I commute 52 mile round trip every day. I could t do my job without it. I just stick to the speed limits (lots of cameras) and 98% of the 12,000 miles a year I do on it is commuting down the M3
    I’d like something a bit more fun but I simply cannot fault the NC. 12,000 miles out of a set of tyres and 82.7mpg average over 31,700 miles is not to be sniffed at. It’s silly cheap to run. At current prices just over £12 does 4 days commuting, so £3 a day……
    It’s the best all round commuter bike I’ve ever had, it’s rare anyone passes me in traffic. Sports bikes aren’t manoeuvreable enough and are too low to see very far, big GSs and the like are too, well, big and can’t get through the gaps I can. Small scooters struggle on open motorway and big ones like the x10 I had are just too big and long for heavy traffic.
    We’re of to the TT this year though!

oomidamon

I bought a Triumph Speed Triple in February after selling my Ducati Monster 1100 Evo last November. S3 is perfect for me, I’ve been a fan since the 900 came out but this is the first one I’ve owned.

wilko1999
    Free Member

Looks good mboy. Is that a race pipe? Bet it sounds great. Amazing what you can get for 1400 quid really.

benp1

I’ve only had 3 bikes
    SV650s
    Triumph Street Triple R (amazing bike)
    CBR1000RR Fireblade

I’ve had the Fireblade 4 years now, don’t ride it as often as I’d like but it’s so capable and so good that I have no immediate desire to change it. Although something slower might be sensible…

Just had it MOT’d, taxed and insured, plus a new front tyre.

It’s a truly epic bike, swept the floor on all the tests when it came out. I have a trip to Wales with a couple of friends planned for July, looking forward to that

mboy
    Free Member

Looks good mboy. Is that a race pipe? Bet it sounds great.

Full Delkevic Stainless system (not just end can) fitted only 10 months ago at over £300! Sounds lovely, not too loud, just the right tone but not like a sewing machine like the OEM exhaust.

Amazing what you can get for 1400 quid really.

I’ll be honest, my cheeky ebay bid (that I didn’t expect to win) came good. Bikes in this condition are normally fetching £1800-£2k, I put a max bid on of less than £1500 expecting for it to come nowhere. I think the relatively short MOT must’ve put a lot of buyers off, but no issue to me.

core

I’m looking to get a bike, rallying has got too expensive, a lot of mates ride, and following a couple of enduro taster experiences last year my interest has been well and truly piqued.

Legal) Green lane opportunites are ever diminishing though, I’m no MX’er, and not crazy about road riding, so it’s tough to decide what to do. WR250F keeps coming up, I’ve ridden them before and they seem reasonable for a beginner, everyone says they’re heavy and to go for a 2 stroke though. Most people I speak to recommend a KTM 250, especially if I think I might ever do an enduro competitively.

weeksy

I’ve had 43 bikes in the last 8 years.

From 1098, to ducati sport classic, 748, Yamaha r1s x 5, superduke, tuonos, r6s, zx6s, I often lose count.

I think in my busiest year I had 12 different bikes, including 1 I never even rode.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

KR1-S C3
    Zx-7R P1
    the original R6
    Zx-9R E1
    KTM Supermoto
    GSXR-1000 K1

Currently bikeless

This thread is not helping
    Would love a 2005 spec Zx-12 or maybe a Gixxer thou with ABS.

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

Motorcycles are wonderful things. Bit like a bicycle, but you don’t have to pedal it! Don’t know why more cyclists don’t have motorcycles to be honest. Training is key for any rider no matter what their experience. PO, have a look at a BikeSafe course which is usually a day or maybe over a weekend. It will depend on where you live. Maybe look at taking your advanced test with the IAM or ROSPA. Done wonders for my riding and I enjoy riding more because of it.
    Suzuki DR350
    Yam XT660
    Suzuki Bandit
    Suzuki GS500
    HOnda CBR1000F
    Triumph Tiger 900
    Yamaha Super Tenere
    Suzuki DRZ400E
    BMW R1200GSA x 2
    BMW R1200GS LC x2
    BMW F800 GSA current….

kilo

This thread has led me to work out which bikes I’ve had over the last 25 or so years, not as many as I’d thought. Plodding around and sometimes commuting but that has a limited life span as the London emissions zone, in 2019, will catch my Kawasaki out and I can’t justify buying a new bike for occasional commuting. I may retire it and the kmx over to Ireland.

Kmx200
    Moto guzzi v50 (leaks a lot)
    Cbr400 aero
    R100gs
    Firestorm
    Gilera runner 125
    Bmw R1100rs
    Varedero
    Triumph bonneville 800
    K1100lt (worst bike ever, ever)
    Kawasaki gt550 (current)
    Honda c90 (current)
    1968 bantam 175 (current)
    Kmx200 again (current)

Also had a couple of vfr’s, two bandits, another varedero and a k1100rs for work

solarider
    Free Member

I ride every day. Rain, shine, snow, ice.

Commute an 80 mile round trip on a BMW R1200GS Adventure.

Had them for years and they are perfect for my size being tall. Always lusted after a Ducati, but they are made for little Italian gentlemen, and unfortunately that just aint me! Plus servicing intervals and costs are prohibitive as an every day workhorse.

Plus shaft drive means no worries in the winter, they are fairly reliable, great riding position, big fuel tank, good road presence and plenty fast enough for a bit of fun on the way!

My commute is country roads followed by A3 followed by central London and the Adventure handles them all well. Even surprisingly agile through town (top box only of course, forget filtering with the panniers).

As a few people have said, like riding a bike without the effort. The combination of driving a car, riding a motorbike and riding pedal bikes has definitely (in my humble opinion!) made me a better, more aware and safer rider/driver.

hot_fiat

Just back from a weekend riding around north wales on this. Its like riding an Alpine 160 with 100bhp. Love it.

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

allthegear – Member
    Erm – there are a *lot* of electronics in an R nine T! Exactly the same electronics as in my S1000XR, except the cornering ABS.

Rachel

Nope. No traction control, no anti wheelie, no leccy suspension, no fly by wire, no cruise control. Pretty basic, which I like. 2017 model has basic TC as an option.

craigxxl
    Free Member

I had a KTM SM too but the 990. Spent a lot of the time getting just right and it was a great bike. Full Akra’s, Motohooligan airbox, remapped a few times and suspension mods

Wife wanted to start coming out on the bike too so went for a KTM 1190 Adventure. Wings shorty and Rottweiler airbox so far but more to come.

Lots of other bikes before these but some of the stand out favourites have been a Honda Varadero, CX500 and CR500, only bike I could see killing me. Wish I kept the CX as they go for silly money now.
    Worst bikes having been a Ducati 900ss which put off the make for life and an Aprillia Caponord which although a good bike spent a whole year off the road due poor dealer support and unable to get spares.

bazzer
    Free Member

Currently got a

2015 BMW S1000XR
    2015 RSV4 Factory in the lovely Matt Black colour.
    2013 Tuono V4 APRC (which I love but really should sell)
    2016 European Junion Cup CBR650f track bike that I pick up tomorrow.

Has a couple of Daytona 675’s as track bikes and been using the Tuono and RSV4 on Euro trackdays recently. Looking forward to the CBR though so I to work it harder (only 80bhp instead of 180bhp)

I do a bit of touring on the BMW however I really fancy having a look a the KTM 1290 GT and maybe swapping it for one of those.

mboy
    Free Member

2015 RSV4 Factory in the lovely Matt Black colour.

When you come to sell it… You know… Bit of STW forum member discount and all yeah? 😉

Just picked up some new leathers this afternoon, well new to me, guy bought them about 8 years ago for £600, never wore them, sold his bike, then I just picked them up for £250 off ebay! Gotta love that… 😀

robidoo
    Free Member

Weeksy what do you think to the KTM 690?
    Looking for something light and fun to ride, but wondered how vibey the 690 was?

rt60
    Free Member

What happens to valves on a fireBlade when a cam gear shears off at 4500 rpm

metalheart
    Free Member

Well, as of today I’m about to become an ex-biker for a while. Moving further north has meant that keeping a bike is an expensive extravagance I can no longer justify (only managed 2k last year and 400 of that was a single day).

Also, I was held up coming over the Lecht today for at least 10 miles by a bunch of bikers who showed a distinct lack of riding skills. Being overtaken by a fully loaded Skoda Roomster , jeez guys, I was embarrassed for you!

grenosteve
    Free Member

Best looking VFR I think, and a great buy at £1400. I traded in my silver vtec VFR for a 2014 Multistrada.

The Ducati is an awesome bit of kit, but overkill. Sometimes wish I’d kept the VFR as it was fun enough, reliable and cheap to run.

These days all my commutes are by pushbike, and any free days I have for fun is spent on the MTB. Shame to have two nice motorbikes sat unused in the garage, but they’re there for when I feel like it.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Haven’t had a roadbike for over 20 years

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Haven’t had a roadbike for over 20 years 😳
    But then I was spoit, it was a RGV250 😀

mboy
    Free Member

So err the VFR lasted precisely 2 months… Did 2000 miles on it in that time, and bit the bug HARD again! Picked this up on Monday…

It’s an 08 Aprilia RSV1000R, one of the late models with Ohlins forks, radial brakes etc. Only 3500 miles on the clock, PXed my VFR with the owner and used the cash from the sale of my unused road bike to pay the difference. 8)

RustySpanner

Was in Honda Rochdale yesterday looking at the CB500X.
    Cheaper than the NC750 and fits me better.

Very, very tempted.
    🙂

allthegear
    Free Member

Yeah – I need to go look at the Honda CRF250 Rally 😀

Rachel

RustySpanner

They are lovely, one of the nicest looking Hondas for ages.

Very tall though….

They also had a nice, low mileage original CBX which is up for sale for the price of my first house.
    🙂

Northwind

@Mboy, BRAAAAAAAAP.

Rusty Spanner – Member

They are lovely, one of the nicest looking Hondas for ages.

Except the Grom obviously, I want a Grom so badly

weeksy

Can’t see pic in work… but GREAT choice….

Almost bought an 06 recently for the wife, but she decided to stick with the ZX6R.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

mboy, that’s a nice looking motorcycle.

bazzer
    Free Member

Nice bit of kit.

I am a huge Aprilia fan I have 2013 Tuono APRC and a 2015 RSV4 Factory.

Love them 🙂

Would love an RS250 too !!!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 160 total)

The topic ‘Motorcyclists of STW’ is closed to new replies.