Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Motorcyclists of STW. Commuting on a 125
  • sharkattack

I just got a new job and the only way to get there is to drive. It’s costing me £130 a week for diesel in a van which I really don’t want to get rid of.

I’ve always wanted a bike licence so my thoughts have immediately turned to two wheels, especially now I have a tenuous economic excuse! I’d like to do a CBT and get on the road right away and do my test later on.

Does anyone commute on a 125? If it was a mostly urban route I wouldn’t even ask but it’s a 30 mile trip straight up a very busy A-road with a high average speed and a lot of aggro pushing and shoving. I don’t mind sitting in the slow lane (which is what I do now anyway) but I don’t want to be getting overtaken by HGV’s.

What bikes should I be looking at? Is it worth buying a bigger bike and having it restricted?

Or should I just stay safe in the van and suck up the huge bills?

mogrim

I’d say that’s too far for a 125 on a regular basis – you could do it, but it wouldn’t be much fun.

A restricted 600 would be a lot better, more powerful, heavier (so less affected by buffeting from lorries etc.), and when you’ve “done your time” you can get it derestricted.

I’d be looking at a Japanese 600, or maybe even a 400cc maxi-scooter. Don’t forget to budget for decent clothes, gloves, boots and helmet.

anagallis_arvensis

I wouldnt commute that far on a 125, apart from anything it wouldnt be comfortable as they are built for dwarves. I would also want to have more training than just a cbt. 125’s also tend to be relatively expensive to buy compared to a 500 or whatever.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Commuted 22 miles each way on a 07 plate Honda Varadero for 2 years, great bike and big for a 125cc 😀 … some decent road presence which is what you need, mine was more than happy at 60 mph on the A roads and still averaged over 90 mpg 😯 .. best it ever did was 110 mpg doing a coast to coast ride with all my camping gear ….. Loved the bike and wouldn’t hesitate having another

br
    Free Member

It’s costing me £130 a week for diesel in a van which I really don’t want to get rid of.

For 300 miles per week, a bit fuel-hungry?

tbh a 125 is going to a bit underpowered, especially if it’s a fast A-road – and once you need to pass tests and buy bigger bikes then you’d be better off with a car – unless you actually want bike 🙂

5thElefant
    Free Member

Certainly possible, as Stumpy points out, but you can do a proper bike test in a long weekend. As you can drive a car and ride a bicycle there’s not much to learn.

You’ll get your money back if you then buy a 200/250 as they’re cheaper than equivilent 125s.

scunny
    Free Member

As you can drive a car and ride a bicycle there’s not much to learn.

Do you have a license yourself?

5thElefant
    Free Member

Of course.

sharkattack

For 300 miles per week, a bit fuel-hungry?

The 300 miles is just the A-road part. I might have over stated the cost a bit (I’ve got some juice left this weekend) But yes it’s a 2.5 turbo so not the most frugal but I drive like a nun.

you’d be better off with a car

No. It’s an indispensable bike transporter and mobile, weatherproof tent on wheels. I’ve never had to use it on a daily basis before but I would never be without it.

unless you actually want bike

YES YES YES. It’s been on the to-do list for years! I did a CBT about ten years ago and buzzed around on a borrowed CG125 for a while but never got around to my test. I am dying to get a bike.

A restricted 600 would be a lot better,

I’m intrigued by this. I like the idea of just getting the bike I want and keeping it without having to swap but the power level I’d have to come down to seems miserably low (14hp I think). How would a bigger bike even move? I’m not after a massive bike, I love the big BMX style of supermoto bike like the DRZ400.

5thElefant
    Free Member

You’re over 21 so don’t need to mess around with restricted bikes.

db

I commuted for 4 years on first a XL125 and then a CG125. Was about 25miles each way – first up the A2 and then into Holborn. A2 was never much fun -particularly in the rain. Both bikes could in 70 but with a lot of vibration so normally just sat at 60.
    You must realise EVERYONE is trying to kill you -once you accept that and ride accordingly a little 125 is great in town. In the end a Micra pulled out without seeing me and I flew like super man (briefly). The metal work still in my wrist was kindly donated by St Thomas’s and I’ve not been on a bike since.

If I was still working in London I think I would have another – but perhaps that’s my next midlife crises kicking in 🙂

db

iamtheresurrection

A CBT will only get you on a 125, not a restricted bigger bike.

If you’re over 24 then you could take lessons and pass your test on a bigger bike (A licence), if you’re under 24 then there are different rules, under 19 and they are different again.

Under 24 and you’re restricted to 47bhp (there is one exception to this), not 33 as it used to be, but the bike you restrict can’t have more than double the restricted power…

Don’t see a reason why you couldnt do 60 mile round trip on a 125 though. I’d buy a scooter most likely…

gt900uk
    Free Member

Choose your bike carefully, they are not as fuel efficient as you might think, especially the bigger engines. Some are better than others.

br
    Free Member

Choose your bike carefully, they are not as fuel efficient as you might think, especially the bigger engines. Some are better than others.

This, but my last 1050 Triumph managed 60mpg on a fast commute, as opposed to some smaller fours that were nearer 40mpg for the same type of riding.

wooobob

Varadero’s not bad call. I did 45 miles a day on a cg125 in and out of London for a year or so. After a couple of months on cbt I took the tests on the off chance and it was fine. Now I’ve finally upgraded to a cbf500 and it’s far more enjoyable. There is a premium on 125s but you’ll get most of it back if you do sell it on later.

Give it a whirl, you might hate it, but I doubt it…

Northwind

I commuted by 125 (a deeply crap Yamaha Virago) for years, tbh it was fine- it topped out at 60 on the flat which is hardly slow, I never felt it was an issue on a-roads and you’re not allowed on motorways on CBT. But going up a bit in engine size will definitely help (though of course will also require a full licence)

Bigger bikes often stop being so economic, it costs me less to run my mondeo than it did to run my SV.

sharkattack

I’ve been looking at 125’s for ages and they do seem disproportionately expensive. I’m going to visit my local instructor and get some prices but I bet it comes to the best part of a grand to pass my proper test. It’ll be hard to swing it with the Mrs. then since it’s ostensibly a cost saving exercise!

One bike I really like the look of is the Suzuki Van Van. It looks cool and retro and the reviews are good but they say it’s slow even for a 125. Alright around town but probably a chore on the A19.

mogrim

I like the idea of just getting the bike I want and keeping it without having to swap but the power level I’d have to come down to seems miserably low (14hp I think)

Fairly sure it’s higher than that – it used to be 33bhp, although as iamtheresurrection points out it might be higher now… I started off on a restricted SV650, even at 33bhp it would have no problem on the motorway, and would out-accelerate most cars.

benji
    Free Member

Perfectly doable, I ran a Yamaha YZF-R125 for a few years, first year put 14k of mileage on, no problems, no discomfort. Did the restricted test, as it meant I didn’t need to hire a bike or tuition, straight passes on both parts of the test, then waited the two years till the restriction lifted. But new licence rules are in place, so depending on your age, you might need to take another test later. Loved my 125, enjoyed my ZX6R for a while, then it became dull, as after a few track days you realise you really can’t open the taps as hard as you like on the road and either keep a clean licence or live long.

PS If anyone want’s a bike, 2008 ZX6R £3k and it’s yours 😉

konabunny
    Free Member

Maxi scooter.

takisawa2

Never quite enjoyed any of the proper bikes I had as much as the KMX125 I had first.
    Would have another in a flash.
    What a laugh.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Motorcyclists of STW. Commuting on a 125’ is closed to new replies.