• This topic has 159 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by pjm7.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 160 total)
  • Motorcyclists of STW
  • mboy
    Free Member

So who here has a motorbike?

I’ve not ridden in over 10 years now, but just off to pick up one of these…

Been an itch that’s needed scratching for a while now, and a recent change in circumstances has given me the push to get back on one. Found what looks like a good 99V plate VFR800 for relatively little money, sold my CX bike (which wasn’t being used anyway) to fund most of it, and got my old motorcycling gear out of storage (surprisingly all still in good nick aside from the gloves) and am off to pick it up this evening! Can’t wait.

It’ll be a total departure for me too, as only ever had arse up head down sports bikes before, and now I’m almost 37, I figured I should at least be a bit sensible (to start) this time round. Whilst I could have afforded to buy a K1 GSXR1000 and insure it, 160bhp when I’ve not ridden in over a decade might be a recipe for disaster!

Anyway… What you got? Still ride much?

allthegear
    Free Member

Get training – please get training…

Yeah, BMW S1000XR here – some say 160bhp is too much after only 2 years experience but I’m still aliv…

Rachel

weeksy

I have a KTM 690 Duke and a 2007 zx6r.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Never bought the “too much power” argument.

I’ve been off the motorbikes for a few years, but the VFR400 itch is increasing

Northwind

Mine has been parked for a few years but still got it. I lived and breathed bikes for years but just fell out of love I guess and pushbikes filled the space

Poor thing doens’t look like this now after years in storage…

Kato

Ah VFR800fi

Great bikes. Wish I never sold mine. Way better than the VTEC ones. Bulletproof motors which sound awesome. Makes me want another

Sundayjumper

I’ve got a 2002 Bandit 600 that I’ve had from new but – like you – I’ve not ridden in over ten years.

Funnily enough, my itch is a VFR800 too, but the VTEC model with the high-level exhausts. They had just come out when I bought my Bandit but my budget did not stretch nearly far enough for one at the time.

sobriety
    Free Member

Or just take it easy, the throttle works both ways. If you’ve ridden a pushbike on the road regularly in your 10 years off it’s just a case of applying the exact same skill set, ablit at higher speed*

I’d be more concerned about the 10 year old crash helmet to be honest, they’ve got about a 3 year lifespan after you’ve first sweated into them, even if it’s ok now I’d put money on the lining disintegrating in fairly short order.

*went back to riding on a cbt after 10+ years off, couldn’t work the clutch in the carpark bit, but impressed my instructor with my spidey-sense ‘that pillock hasn’t seen me’ emergency stop during the road bit. Instructor was surprised ‘bloody hell! you CAN ride a bike’

bikebouy
    Free Member

Over the last year I’ve taken an unhealthy interest in custom R80-100’s in the cafe racer styleee. I swear I’ll never get one, but damn if it’s an itch I should scratch.

Or 70’s / 80’s MXers

mboy
    Free Member

I rode for a number of years, on some pretty focussed bits of kit previously. I’ll look into advanced training at some point but part of the reason for the VFR was to get something that wasn’t as focussed and though quick enough, wasn’t going to egg me on to chase the lads on their race reps.

I actually still have my Ducati 748SP in my Dad’s garage, it’s not run in 12 years probably. Needs a full overhaul, but given the fact it’s an appreciating classic now and my desire to keep it indefinitely, I’m in no rush to get that back on the road…

I’d be more concerned about the 10 year old crash helmet to be honest, they’ve got about a 3 year lifespan after you’ve first sweated into them, even if it’s ok now I’d put money on the lining disintegrating in fairly short order.

Seems ok, but will more than likely be the next new purchase…

smokey_jo

Duke 390 here after a similar amount of time off bikes to yourself.

Plenty enough zip to have fun on the twistys and good position for in town riding too. Feet up U-turns are a doddle on it.

Had a test ride on an xsr700 though and that engine is peachy and the yellow speedblock does it for me having grew up watching the trans-am race series.

It’s more likely that my dad’s 79 400/4 will be my next though – if we can ever get it to run reliably and the front brake to be a lot more effective than it is.

fatgit
    Free Member

Hi
    2012 Triumph Speed Triple 1050R here.
    Traded my Aprillia Tuono in for it last year.
    It’s got all the Ohlins/Brembo/Arriw cans/carbon fibre bits you can shake a stick at and I love it!!!!
    Shame I’m crap!
    Cheers
    Steve

Pigface
    Free Member

Kate +1 VFR great bikes, scratch, tour, bimble they can do it all, good choice.

smogmonster

Sold my Fireblade 3 years ago to put towards a deposit on a house…in truth wasnt that upset to see it go, as it was so bloody good it made riding at speeds that dont result in a jail sentence seem very very dull, and my skillset was simply not upto riding fast at anything like a safe standard. I didnt miss riding at all until i saw the Triumph Bobber…..now i REALLY want of those.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I like 70/80s mx-ers too. More pics/links/adverts please

anagallis_arvensis

It’s more likely that my dad’s 79 400/4 will be my next though – if we can ever get it to run reliably and the front brake to be a lot more effective than it is.

If its anything like my 78 GL1000 ( which was my dads) then the front brake is just for show really. Mine has twin disks but they put a really weak master cylinder on it as they were worried people would lock up to easily!!! You can get an uprated one now. I only go slowly though!!

rt60
    Free Member

Ah the joy of 90’s Honda electrics! Bulletproof engines and electrics which may as well be Italian!

Give the charging system a good check over, lights on, 5000 rpm and you should get 13.5-15.5 volts. More or less then that and you have problem. Rec/regs have a habit of failing and taking the whole charging system with them so worth a check.

smokey_jo

I think the problem with the running on the Honda is more to do with gummed and unbalanced carbs. I’ll check the electrics a look at though too as cleaning carbs is not a favoutite job – especially 4 little tiny ones

The front brake is a swinging caliper with only one active piston. Even when it had been stripped and a new pivot pin, fresh fluid, seals and piston it offered naff all retardation. The rear drum however could lock the rear with a tap of the toe!

allthegear
    Free Member

I know I came to it all very late but the idea of old bikes with weak brakes etc just turns me off hugely. I just can’t imagine riding something without ABS, traction control etc. I don’t even have to use the clutch once moving on current bike…

Rachel

bikebouy
    Free Member

Check out motoman1963 on instagram.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Please stop. I can only get so erect

anagallis_arvensis

I know I came to it all very late but the idea of old bikes with weak brakes etc just turns me off hugely.

You should feel what its like at over 90mph if you hit a slight ripple in the road ( well autobahn obviously!!). Poor brakes are the least of your worries then!!

Pigface
    Free Member

This should send you over the top if the CCM got you erect 😆

Cougar

I don’t even have to use the clutch once moving on current bike…

TBF, I don’t think that’s a recent thing; I could’ve said the same of my 1995 vintage CB500 (well, going up through the gears anyway).

mboy
    Free Member

Ah the joy of 90’s Honda electrics! Bulletproof engines and electrics which may as well be Italian!

Well my previous bikes were other 90’s Honda’s, and a 90’s Ducati. So I’m well prepared! 😆

I know I came to it all very late but the idea of old bikes with weak brakes etc just turns me off hugely. I just can’t imagine riding something without ABS, traction control etc. I don’t even have to use the clutch once moving on current bike…

It’s the same appeal as old cars. Far more involvement at much safer speeds is the idea I guess. Wouldn’t want something with drum brakes and crossply tyres as a daily ride, but probably good fun once in a while!

Trimix
    Free Member

Ive a few bikes.

KTM990 Adventure
    KTM 525 Enduro
    Honda XR400 Trail
    Montesa 250 Trials
    Bultaco 250 Trials

dufusdip
    Free Member

Got a zx6 and a fireplace and a half.

Also have a barn-find vfr800fi that i hated riding and killed my interest. Need to get round to advertising it but cba with the haggling and for 300 just want space in the garage. Decent stealth ad? 🙂

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Riding time is stupidly limited, but I do love to get out now and again.

Mine – 90th Anniversary Moto Guzzi Griso SE. It is lovely… temperamental… but lovely!

[url=https://flic.kr/p/HxTzYZ]17th June 2016[/url] by Rob Sutherland, on Flickr

I took it to Shetland last summer… actually… summer is a bit generous, the top temperature was 13 deg C!

Euro
    Free Member

Never bought the “too much power” argument.

Much more fun wringing the neck of something with 100bhp than bimbling about something with 150+.

V4’s are the sweetest sounding engine. Had the last of the 750’s and it was a joy to ride. Utterly reliable (probably the most over engineered engine in a proddy bike) and comfy for just riding about but could hustled along rightly. Suspension is a little soft for hard road/track riding but great fun. Fit a race can and listen to the angels sing 😀

superfli
    Free Member

Heres a few pics of current bike and some of my previous bikes. BMW F800GS is what I’m riding now after many years of sportsbikes and some trailie bikes.
    Loved my GSXR750s. Had 4 of them carb’d to 1st fuel inj SRAD, to K4 + K8. Lots of trackdays and many trips to Nurburg+Spa. I do miss the acceleration and damn outright power of a sportsbike!

I ride to work everyday, whatever the weather – just love being on 2 wheels 🙂

mboy
    Free Member

Dufusdip, details of the VFR… I have a friend after one too, as long as it can be made a half decent runner they’d be interested. Email in profile.

jonm81

Currently restoring this:

It’s got 750cc, 26HP, a sidecar, reverse gear, 2WD and weighs about the same as the moon. Should be fun stopping it with cable operated drum brakes

Also got a genuine BSA C15 pre’65 trials bike to restore and a rather boring CB500X I keep thinking about swapping for a Triumph Tiger.

Dickyboy

Moto Guzzi Centauro here, owned for 11yrs but not ridden for the last two after taking it to RAF Benson and realising how much tinkering it needs to get it running sweet again 🙁 hopefully this year will see it back on the road

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

New to biking here having done my CBT recently but looking at what to get next…

Some great bikes on display here 🙂

And stay safe all…

maxray
    Free Member

Nice to see a couple of others with ‘Guzzies. I have a Breva 750ie. It’s the most forgiving bike to ride ever and the exhaust with tweaked baffles sounds so so good.

graemecsl
    Free Member

I’m in process of attempting to acquire one of these..

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

I do like those Triumph Scramblers 🙂

Although I am having secret lustings for a great bike Triumph Thunderbird Nightstorm 😉

sobriety
    Free Member

Few pics of my current project.

Engine should be reassembled this weekend, as long as the bloomin gaskets turn up

gixerator
    Free Member

here is one of them

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

Been riding 35 years. Done sportsbikes and supernakeds, my two current bikes are air cooled with no electronics which seems to work for me these days.

BMW R NineT:

Triumph Bonneville:

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 160 total)

The topic ‘Motorcyclists of STW’ is closed to new replies.