Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Motorcyclists – I'm looking for a project…
  • Zedsdead
    Free Member

Afternoon all,

I’ve decided that my old Fat Chance is to go. It’s been sat doing nothing for years and I want to get an off-road type bike for some green-laning etc. Trail bike, enduro bike, something like that. Selling the Fat will help fund it.

So, thought it may be worth asking on here as I know there are a few motorcyclists if anyone has an old bike or project they may part with?

I have 3 kids so I’m on a budget. Age not important. Condition not important as long as it isn’t wrecked, bent, broken and it runs.

Anything out there? If it has knobbly tyres I’m interested. And if it doesn’t but I can fit some then I’m intersted.

And if anyone is interested in a swap for the Fat then give me a shout 🙂

hammyuk
    Free Member

What is Fat Chance?

stuey
    Free Member

“Yo Eddy” 😀

Zedsdead
    Free Member

What is Fat Chance?

One of the best MTB manufacturers ever!

Fat City Cycles

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

good luck, from what i’m seeing, i’ve been idly looking for the same for a while, the days of cheap bikes are long gone.

from my looking the best bet is something like an older honda xr250, good bikes too for green laning…. the few lanes that the damn ramblers left us with that is.

hammyuk
    Free Member

You’ll need a better budget tbh unless you’re looking at spending all winter rebuilding something. But then the parts, etc could put you back to where something newer/better is without the hassle.
    Especially if it needs to be road legal rather than MX.

sv

Not sure on the budget but there was a nice TT250 on the classifieds couple of days ago. Not much of a project as it was in good nick looking at the photos.

tjagain

Was it not your dad I sold the Enfield to? get it off him Makes a nice green laner

mugsys_m8

Smaller how-about a DR350? Larger? how about a Ténéré? I’ve got a nice 1vj 1986 one me…..

hammyuk
    Free Member

I’ve got a cracking CRF450R that’s been converted to road legal with17″ excels, lights, etc and the original MX wheels too but it’s £2250.
    Needs no work though other than the mot renewing as its not been used.

redstripe
    Free Member

Honda trailies for reliability, hold their price pretty well, what budget?
    Thought about a decent ebike instead? Been using one lately on various trails, ace fun and less chance of getting grief from certain types.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

TJ – more chance of getting blood out a stone lol

Budget will be somewhere around 1k. Maybe a little more…

I had a quick look on the likes of Gumtree but everything is wrecked and they are still asking for silly money! I honestly don’t think they sell, they’re just chancing it. Seems to be any old heap of crap which is well beyond saving and they still ask for hundreds! I’ll pass thanks.

A DR would be ideal but again not many left that are actually worth saving. Most are neglected, parts missing and broken, pretty much destroyed but because it’s a DR they reckon it’s still worth 1500 quid! Not a chance!

Mugsy, once I get home I’ll be in touch 🙂

Hammy – sounds really good but a bit more than I can stretch to at this point in time…

sobriety
    Free Member

Age not important. Condition not important as long as it isn’t wrecked, bent, broken and it runs.

That’s not a project, that’s a bike. Projects cost £50-£350 and come in boxes!

scud
    Free Member

Classic original Africa Twin? one bike i wish i’d never sold, easy to work on and once restored i believe they are going up in value.

alexxx
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2 stoke 2001 ktm 200exc I maybe willing to part with, road legal and would be around £1750.

Needs a seal replacing in the engine which is fouling the spark plug but has lots of spares and new bits, I’ve moved to the South Lakes and don’t really have time to use it amongst other projects

mugsys_m8

oh no no no the Ténéré is not for sale. She’s a keeper!!!

allthegear
    Free Member

Paying attention as I want to start looking for a small capacity (max 450cc) RTW bike in the new year…

Rachel

hammyuk
    Free Member

Mines in storage Rachel so will still be here no doubt

core

Also paying attention as looking to sell rally car and buy a bike soon. Always been keen, had a little derbi 50 motocross type bike when I was 16, and a couple of trials bikes since, a day at Yamaha Off Road Experience back in the autumn got me hooked.

Saw today they’re now selling off this years bikes, fully serviced/rebuilt with original, new plastics and road kit bolted back on, 2016 model WR250f’s from £5k.

List is now near £7.3k

allthegear
    Free Member

hammy – Ah I think the thing with a CRF450R is it is more of an enduro bike – so needs servicing etc really often. That’s something I’m trying to avoid. But thanks

Rachel

Zedsdead
    Free Member

oh no no no the Ténéré is not for sale. She’s a keeper!!!

Bugger!

beanie
    Free Member

As said above I was in the same boat a year ago looking for a cheap bike and there isn’t much around under a grand.
    It’s my Yamaha ttr 250 in the classifieds that’s for sale, it took me months to find anything desent and had to up my budget to 1500.
    Brought mine to take to the isle of man tt this year to use to get around in may, haven’t used it much since as I have a ktm 2 stroke that I race and greenlane so it’s up for sale.

Ttr 250 for sale

Davesport

A mate’s got a Kawasaki KDX 200 for sale. He needs a grand. It is a project in every respect !

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Hey Beanie, a bit more than I wanted to spend but I may be able to sort something out. I’ll fire you an email once I get home.

Davesport – sounds interesting, any deatails?

alric
    Free Member

I want one too!
    enduro/supermoto but has to be cheap
    crf450r would be great but like rachel says, too much maintenance for rtw
    a broken one to fix up would do
    I’d get a trials if I had a way to get it around

hammyuk
    Free Member

That’s the misconception.
    The CRF used as a race bike needs servicing around every 8-10hrs.
    HOWEVER when used on the road with the stainless steel valve conversion and matching springs it’s back to normal single cylinder servicing.
    Daft cheap parts, one piston, etc.
    The entire bodywork if you wanted to change it is £75.
    ALL of it!
    Don’t confuse the CRF450R with the detuned X model that Honda did either 😉

allthegear
    Free Member

Having scraped the pannier of my BMW S1000XR along a wall somewhere in southern Italy, the idea of cheap body kit is appealing!!

Rachel

singlesman
    Free Member

Apologies op, Hammy, what year is your crf and is it still petty much in mx trim apart from the wheels?
    Zedsdead, we’re looking to sell my lads rm125, just waiting for the barrel to come back from the nikasil platers, but it’s in full mx trim and probably more trouble than it’s worth to make road legal

sobriety
    Free Member

just waiting for the barrel to come back from the nikasil platers

Who did you use? I’ve got a drawer full of Rotax barrels in ned of some love.

singlesman
    Free Member

Poeton- aptec, never had one done before and it also needs a weld repair to a deep score were the ring broke up so will see what sort of job they make of it.
    They seem to be well regarded but not cheap!

sobriety
    Free Member

Cheers! I’ve also been looking at getting them sleeved, as there are a couple of machine shops that will do it and apply any port map you like to them in the process;-)

Davesport

@Zedsdead I’ll check and get back to you here or get him to pen a description.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Full fat.
    10mins and it’s back to MX trim.
    2004 CRF450R with SS valve conversion, matching heavier springs, stator, custom loom, lights, battery, timed reg/rec, 17″ Excels with stickies at 22psi, oversize brake disc, black bodywork fitted, red bodywork in a bag, every possible Unbreakable fitted, brand new dash and a spare with new protector mount.
    Titanium Scorpion system and the original system as well.
    New air filter, etc and zero use since.
    Original wheels with couple sets of tyres and new road legal knobblis fitted and unused

singlesman
    Free Member

Thanks Hammy, sounds like a lot of bike for the money but think we’re after something a bit newer and less exotic!
    ( purely for mx).

hammyuk
    Free Member

Was my MX prior but did the conversion as wasn’t using it enough off-road.
    Then divorce, sicknesses and a move put paid to that too!

Davesport

Apologies Zedsdead. Withdrawn from sale 😥

Zedsdead
    Free Member

hammy, it’s a bit more than I wanted to spend but it sounds interesting… I may well be interested. Can you send me photos and info please?

Davesport, no worries, thanks anyway. Good wee bikes those.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Email sent Zed

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Motorcyclists – I'm looking for a project…’ is closed to new replies.