Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Motorcyclist found in ditch after 3 days….
  • teamslug
    Free Member

He had crashed his new motorbike and laid in ditch near Thorne in Doncaster for 3 days before being found. Anybody crashed on trails and thought I’m in trouble here…..I always wind it back a bit if i’m riding alone..

dr_death
    Free Member

What you want is a one of these….. Quite a clever use of technology I thought:

http://theawesomer.com/icedot-crash-sensor/189338/

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Thats scary i try not to think about that.I do knock it back but even the slowest cash can cause problems.I have been out greenlaning today in Wilts around Tidworth saw 2 people in 4 hours so if you fell of in an area where your phone never worked and you could not move middle of a 4 mile Byway you would be in the S–T.I dont knock it back on a mountain bike which is crazy as i have far less protection on.

crikey
    Free Member

… 🙄 …

And how often does this happen?

It’s in the news because it is an uncommon event, and not one that normal, sane, well adjusted people should get worried about.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Was the crash on a road?

rogerthecat
    Free Member

What you want is a one of these….. Quite a clever use of technology I thought:

http://theawesomer.com/icedot-crash-sensor/189338/

Does this change the Helmet/No Helmet debate?

Use to carry one of these when up in the mountains alone in UK and Switzerland, after reading the OP I may stick one in my pack again.

crikey
    Free Member

And how often does this happen?

It’s in the news because it is an uncommon event, and not one that normal, sane, well adjusted people should get worried about.

br
    Free Member

I come from that area, and the ditches are deep, as in sometimes +20ft and right next to the road. Wasn’t particularly surprised with the story.

But we had the same type of discussion tonight regarding solo night riding – we rode Glentress, but had planned to do Yair – solo crash there, and you’d be lucky to be found until the next weekend.

Duggan

Am I right in thinking there is a website somewhere that live tracks you on your GPS so for example, people can use a website to see your location on Google maps in real time, maybe with a password or something? Could be useful for solo night rides etc.

takisawa2

On paper at least, that flare sounds a great idea but if it were to happen to me it would probably hit an overhanging branch / power line / unstable rock-face; then deflect back to land back on top of me, setting me on fire. Were I lucky enough to escape the returning rocket it would probably start a feirce bush-fire in which I’d perish.

Russell96

I know a guy who hit a bat right between his eyes riding his motorbike doing about 40mph, he and his bike went into a drainage ditch outside a school on a major main road and he wasn’t spotted for a good 18 hours. Scary how long it took to get spotted considering the school had 1000’s of pupils and on a road with 1000’s of cars n people going along it all the time.

globalti
    Free Member

Anybody remember the Ogri cartoons in Bike magazine? Malcolm crashes his motorbike into a snowdrift right outside the pub and stays there freezing for three days then emerges to find Ogri and the rest of the gang a few yards away enjoying themselves in the warm.

ormondroyd
    Free Member

Am I right in thinking there is a website somewhere that live tracks you on your GPS so for example, people can use a website to see your location on Google maps in real time, maybe with a password or something? Could be useful for solo night rides etc.

I use Viewranger for this. I ride by myself, so use the buddy beacon feature, which is pretty much exactly as you describe (although not google maps, it uses viewranger’s own mapping)

teamslug
    Free Member

Thats funny @takisawa2 😆 I remember coming off once on a pretty muddy steep slope in the woods. Bike went one side of a small tree and I went the other. Foot twisted but stayed clipped in. If i’d been on my own not sure what i’d have done cos my mate had to lift my bike up and round tree for me to unclip. Swapped cleats after that!

devs
    Free Member

I had an off night riding in the snow in a quarry. I trashed my jacket, icebreaker 200 and put a hole in my arm. I clattered my head too and don’t think I was out but I was certainly very slow for a few minutes involving sitting staring at nothing in the gloom. I went back 4 days later and there were no more tracks in the snow. I would like to say I learnt my lesson and don’t go that way on my own now but that would be untrue, I just try harder not to crash.

FB-ATB

Is it in bad taste by the ad software snooper that the CRC ad I’m seeing at the bottom is the “Bicycle blowout” one?

Speshpaul

Two mates who normally rode together, one cries off a night ride, the other goes anyway.
    He wakes up at about 6 the next morning face down on the woods with no front teeth! (yes we did make lots of jokes about his trousers being around his ankles.)
    Now the bit that has always stuck with me was that his wife did nothing. Went to bed thinling he would turn up sooner or later!

mrlugz
    Free Member

If you are into solo epics, could be worthwhile checking these out if you are worried.
    http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=101

clubber
    Free Member

Samurai wrote a story about that in his ‘3 broken links’ ebook 🙂

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Motorcyclist found in ditch after 3 days….’ is closed to new replies.