Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Motorcycle warranty claim woes
  • Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

Bought a March 2013 BMW R1200 with 500miles on the clock. Took it back to dealer with clutch issues after 800miles. 6 weeks later they called to say they can’t fix the issue and are speaking to BMW. I’m still paying BMW finance on a bike a don’t have, although I’m using their courtesy F800ST for the moment. Not sure where I stand? Do I ask for a replacement bike asap or ask for a couple of months payments refunded. kinda running out of patience…

weeksy

I’m confused… they’ve given you a bike, why shouold you not still pay for the other one ?

falkirk-mark

I’m confused… they’ve given you a bike, why shouold you not still pay for the other one ?

Cos hes paid for a Mondeo and they have lent him a Ka.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Weeksy +1, you’ll still own it at the end of the finance period. And in the meantim you’re clocking up miles on someone elses bike not yours. Win-win!

weeksy

Cos hes paid for a Mondeo and they have lent him a Ka.

So it’s only the size/engine that’s a factor?

Personally as long as BMW are trying to fix it etc i don’t see the issue.

If you had a Top of the range BMW car and it broke down, they’d give you a little 1 series… would that be out of order ? I’m honestly missing the problem with this one completely.

falkirk-mark

Not suggesting he should not pay, but if you have bought a higher spec model and they cannot fix it after an extended period of time and you are running about on a cheaper model why would you not complain. OPs bike is depreciating and hes not even able to use it.

craigxxl
    Free Member

If you read your warranty they are under no obligation to provide a courtesy bike. I can’t see your problem.

weeksy

OPs bike is depreciating and hes not even able to use it.

Depreciating by less than if the OP were using it though ?

I wouldn’t complain because they’re doing the OP a favour arguably…

weeksy

BTW, i do have sympathy for the OP, it’s horrible not having your bike fixed… but… my sympathy doesn’t make me think BMW are doing anything wrong, other than not being able to fix it

bensales
    Free Member

Let them keep trying. I had issues with my ZX-10R that I bought new. Originally thought to be condensation in the coolant, then a leaking head gasket, and was eventually found to be a badly made head. Eventually required circa 3 grand’s worth of new parts, but the dealer did eventually sort it out.

The only thing I did was to loop in the finance company on all correspondence, because the bike is actually their property until the finance is paid. And I bought some cases of beer for the workshop boys too.

falkirk-mark

No wonder consumers in this country get taken for mugs if the attitudes on here are anything to go by. 😕

weeksy

falkirk-mark – Member
    No wonder consumers in this country get taken for mugs if the attitudes on here are anything to go by

OP bought a second hand bike… Dealer are fixing it… i don’t get it ?

Trimix
    Free Member

While the weather is not perfect Id carry on wearing out their brakes, clutch, chain and tyres.

Practice your wheelies 🙂

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

Thanks for the input all. bensales, I like the idea of beer for the workshop.
    If after 6 weeks and they can’t fix the issue, how much longer do I give them to resolve the problem? I would after all like to ride the bike I’m paying for…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

And it’s not really a smaller bike, more like buying a buying a BMW M-toruing and being given the M-sport touring as a courtesy car.

And bikes depreciate more with mileage and condition than age, so the OP’s avoided putting any miles on it, and avoided riding through the shittiest months of the year.

footflaps

Have you spoken to the service manager? I guess he’s waiting for BMW UK to come up with an answer / parts / agree to pay for the work.

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

weeksy, coz it’s under manufactures warranty still. They can’t keep it unresolved forever..

JAG

I think the OP’s real issue is that he/she doesn’t have their bike back yet and has no explanation from the Dealer about how long until their bike is fixed.

Payments thing is just a ‘lever’ that the OP thinks he/she should be pulling to get things to happen.

I agree that they should be giving the dealer a bit of hell about getting the bike back or getting an explanation. Trouble is the Dealer may not have an explanation – they’re probably waiting for BMW to sort it out.

OP; chase them anyway – let them know that you’re not happy riding their bike and you want yours back ASAP. Be a bloody nuisance and see what happens 8)

falkirk-mark

OP bought a second hand bike… Dealer are fixing it… i don’t get it ?

No OP bought a used bike with warranty and the problem is that the dealer is NOT fixing it hence they have had it 6 weeks.

footflaps

No OP bought a used bike with warranty and the problem is that the dealer is NOT fixing it hence they have had it 6 weeks.

Warranty will be dealt with by BMW UK, so the dealer has to get approval from ‘control’ for doing work and getting paid for it which can take ages, hence bike gets stuck between the dealer and manufacturer. Happens all the time in the motor trade….

weeksy

Daisy_Duke – Member
    weeksy, coz it’s under manufactures warranty still. They can’t keep it unresolved forever..

I agree, i also agree 6 weeks is a long time… However, we don’t know what the problem actually is, what they’ve not done, what BMW have said, whether it’s in a BMW dealership, where you bought it from, etc etc.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Except they are fixing it, it’s just that fixing isn’t instantaneous, it’s a stage between being broken and fixed.

I’m sure they don’t want to be spending time fixing or having it taking up space in the workshop, any less than the OP want’s it back.

superfli
    Free Member

I’d not be happy at all in your circumstances. Cant believe people are saying there’s nothing wrong?!
    I’d be OK for a couple of weeks, I’d then be insisting on like for like. Your bike is nothing like the courtesy bike!

falkirk-mark

Except they are fixing it, it’s just that fixing isn’t instantaneous, it’s a stage between being broken and fixed.

I refer you to the OPs OP

6 weeks later they called to say they can’t fix the issue and are speaking to BMW

footflaps

6 weeks later they called to say they can’t fix the issue and are speaking to BMW

Or rather they spoke to BMW 6 weeks ago and are still waiting for a response….

You could pay for a promoted tweet slating BMW, that might get some attention in head office?

falkirk-mark

Whoever is at fault is neither here nor there to the OP, point is OP (who is not at fault) has a bike on finance that is in the dealers and has been for quite some time with no indication of when problem will be fixed, he has every right to expect more than excuses and a courtesy bike.

hot_fiat

Have you spoken to the finance company? I’ve had to use them in the past to give a dealer a boot up the arse.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I refer you to the OPs OP

semantics, nothing is unfixable, probably just more involved/expenive than whatever they first imagined. And in the meantime they’ve leant the OP their demonstrator, which will be costing them depreciation and lost sales, so they can’t not be in a hurry to get him/her back on the road on their own bike.

he has every right to expect more than excuses and a courtesy bike.

I dunno, it seems fairly on the mark to me.

Look at it another way. If BMW phoned you up in December and said you can borrow one of their bikes for 2 months, and they’ll store yours. You’d be pretty chuffed, effectively free tyres, servicing, depreciation and wear and tare/corosion-less over the winter. So they’re doing alright IMO.

So as long as the bike is fixed at some point soon-ish I’d be happy.

chewkw
    Free Member

Not helping but you might want to consider Honda next time.

surfer
    Free Member

I would be a trifle miffed if I had bought a bike and wasnt able to ride it.

sugdenr
    Free Member

Have you spoken to the finance company? I’ve had to use them in the past to give a dealer a boot up the arse.

BMW Finance giving BMW Gmbh a KUTA? Now think about that for a moment…

If you want to do something about it them you need to start formalising it, they have a reasonable time to fix it, tell them you are giving them 7 days more to sort it out then you want your money back – the Finance company that is, that is who your contract is with.

However, be careful what you wish for, they may decide to give your money back and you will have lost your (presumably) good deal of a 500miler.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Motorcycle warranty claim woes’ is closed to new replies.