Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Motorcycle shame
  • Merak

I dropped my bike today. In my driveway after a great run. I was tired, just putting it on the stand not sure what happened.

When it had passed the point of no return I accepted it and laid it down. Struggled to lift it up again, feel like a berk. Only damage was some scratches to the handguard and some bruised pride. 🙁

singlespeedstu

Does that help?
    No though not.
    At least there was ,minimal damage.

davosaurusrex

Putting it on the stand is always the riskiest time for a drop, we’ve all done it. Are you using the type with swingarm bobbins? They’re better and the ABBA stands are better again. Well worth tbe money and you can take the rear shock out etc as well

Trimix
    Free Member

What bike is it.

I once dropped my KTM 990, stand sunk in some sand 🙁

But as it was sandy no damaged was done and as no one saw me pride was intact as well 🙂

bikebouy
    Free Member

My cousin had an old CB 900 (the old red/white race faring one) and he came to stay over one night (this was 199x somethingorother) in the morning he jumped on, whizzed the leccy start and pulled away.
    He left the steering lock on.
    He whizzeled around in one large circle before falling off and breaking the faring, and his ankle.

kilo

I used to have a BMW r100gs ,the steering lock was down below the headstock so you could put the keys in the ignition, put it into gear and pull away from outside ones house only to find,almost immediately, that the steering was locked leading to a pretty quick falling over 😳

br
    Free Member

All done it, and agree once it’s going down, save yourself.

Joe

I recently did it at the lights and got stuck under my Tiger.

Not a single person came to help me (it was a busy pedestrian crossing…), and meanwhile when the lights went green cars started hooting and driving round me, dangerously close to my head!

Northwind

It’s a long time ago now but I once highsided mine at 1mph. Driveway was covered in snow-melt so I was crabbing it up, both feet down, back wheel just scrabbling away and at about 45 degrees lock, but getting there… Then it caught on a wee bit of grass that was sticking through the ice, stood the bike up then stalled, and I fell over the top and landed on my head 😆

db

I had a bike with no centre stand. I used a milk crate to balance it on while doing the chain and sprocket. I under estimated the force I needed to adjust the rear wheel and ended up laying on the floor with the bike or top of me screaming for my wife to come and help.

I cannot bench press a motorcycle.

Not my finest moment

Merak

My bike 🙂

Can’t believe no-one helped lift the Tiger. WTF is wrong with people?

labsey
    Free Member

Did the same with my ER6F at Gretna Services. Put my foot on some ice and really slowly fell over. Bike was loaded with luggage too. A kind passer by came over and helped me lift it. Fortunately only damage was a bruised ego.

vongassit
    Free Member

First big bike, an 86 GSX750SE Katana with cone air filters & a hollow silencer with no baffles. I pulled up to a petrol pump and stopped with the front brake, all the weight shifts to the RH side & she starts to topple. Right leg braces on the ground & as she goes over my throttle hand takes the strain & opens the throttle WIDE!!

Left hand still on the clutch as it’s still in gear & I’m stuck in limbo not on the ground & not upright with it screaming its tatters off @ a million decibels! after about 10 seconds I managed to get some super human strength & composure toghethr & get the bitch upright & the situation under control.

But not before looking like a prize nobber at a very busy filling station. 😳

grim168
    Free Member

I love them Merak. I could eat sportsbikes on mine on the right roads.

Trimix
    Free Member

Ah, Honda Dominator. I had one and rode it to Morocco and back one fine summer. Bloody loved that bike.

Merak

^kudos

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

Years ago I dropped my Kawasaki Z650 after putting it in gear & dropping the clutch before realising the padlock was still locked to the front disc 😯
    Luckily no-one was watching so I lost no cool points,unlike the time at Aintree when pootling through the paddock after a practice session on my proddie 250LC the front brake locked up & I lost the front end in front of dozens…

Northwind

Bustaspoke – Member

Years ago I dropped my Kawasaki Z650 after putting it in gear & dropping the clutch before realising the padlock was still locked to the front disc

ALWAYS put the disc lock on the rear disc! Rear discs are cheaper and harder to bend, and if you do drive off you’re not as likely to bin it because the fork won’t dive or tuck. This should be the first thing they tell you in your CBT. It makes it harder to drag off too, though in reality it doesn’t really make much difference

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

ALWAYS put the disc lock on the rear disc!

Only made that mistake once!
    I think these days you get some Hi-Viz/Luminous lead thing to wrap around somewhere prominent which acts as a reminder that you’ve got a disc lock fitted.

oink1
    Free Member

Dropped my FZR100EXUP When it passes that point 😯 I feel your pain OP

Xylene
    Free Member

Walking HOnda Varedero backwards on a steep camber hill out side the entrance to a national park, misjudged how steep the camber was and went to put my foot down, and over I went, in front of 100 other bikers we were meeting for a ride.

Same trip, same park, mis judged a corner and dropped into first, locked up the rear, straight on into the storm guttering at the side, came a to a stop, to realise that there was no where to put my feet, and with a little forward momentum still in me rather than the bike, went up and over the bars.

Dropped my honda blackbird twice at my gate, both making the same mistake of pointing it down hill into the drive on the kickstand while I opened the front gate.

And on my 110 scooter – drving into the drive way in high rainy season, wondering why the drive way looked darker and flatter than normal, to ride into a 1m+ of flood water, turns out the tidal river, and small canal beside the house, and exceptional rainfall, flooded the garden.

Little 110cc fell over, completely submerged, still runnning, pulled it out, gave it a kick, and away it went.

anagallis_arvensis

Dropped my F650 once by hitting a curb covered in leaves that I didnt see as I stopped to see if a broken down rider needed a hand..we both had a laugh about it!

sheck

Not quite the same, but checking in at the ferry terminal, fully laden for a camping trip to the Alps and Tuscany with Mrs Sheck, she got off at the passport booth to handover / sort documents. After she got back on I rode down to Lane 44. Got there and pulled up behind another couple and waited for Mrs Sheck to get off. When she didn’t, I looked behind me to find she wasn’t there. Figured she’d managed to (somehow) fall off between ticket booth and boat. Had that “I’m in trouble but I’m not sure what Indid wrong feeling” and re-traced my steps, to find her at the booth, tickets and passports in her gloved hand! I was definitely in trouble!

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Dropped my very new Zx7R whilst paddling round in our flats car park which was off camber. Very slow motion drop, followed by the sound of plastics grating on tarmac. 🙁

Was cleaning my Gixxer thou and was repositioning it on the drive but unfortunately the side stand went down on the grass. Turned round to get polish and looked back to see bike falling onto lawn. Fortunately crash bungs and sodden lawn saved the day.

wooobob

I’ve done the disclock thing a couple of times. Once in Tesco car park (quite embarrassing – next to some yummy mummies in the baby and toddler parking bays) and once outside my house (more embarrassing – nowhere to hide).

Another time I dropped it in the garage having forgotten to put the sidestand down.

I’m becoming quite adept at repairing shattered indicators with black electrical tape! And the tip about crouching with the bike behind you to pick it up has been a valuable one.

LimboJimbo

Some years ago I had just started in my first management job at a Honda dealership. I was chatting to a couple of my new colleagues while sitting on the brand new showroom Fireblade when, of course, I overbalanced. Problem was as I went over, it also took with it the adjacent CBR600. Two scuffed fairings, a couple of bent pegs and four broken floor tiles. That was a difficult call to my new boss.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Rode over 100 miles in freezing January years ago to a dealer that had agreed a straight swap for my CB1300 in exchange for a GSX1400.
    Arrived only for his colleague to claim his business partner wasn’t around and they wouldn’t honour the deal. 15 mins of arguing and cursing later I got back on my Honda and promptly dropped it pulling off the forecourt.
    £400 of engine casing and fairing damage on a previously mint bike.
    Still hurts my feelings.
    Thanks OP

peajay

Had a dommie, loved it, was heavy on chains though, fitted mig exhausts and used to get brilliant backfires from it! Came off it in the car park of the Green Welly had quite an audience! Not my finest moment!

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Motorcycle shame’ is closed to new replies.