Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Motorcycle musings…
  • z1ppy

Two recommendations required…

Brother just passed his test, went to NZ and did 5000km over the last month on a kwacker KLR 650…. back now looking for bike, got up to £4k. So after something Trans-alp(esk) without being stupidly big, doesn’t need to be that new or for big journeys

For me.. I haven’t ridden in 20 years, but kinda fancy something again, as the cars annoying me. I always liked trail bikes more than sport, but not big heavy single ones (ala KLR).. But also don’t want a pocket rocket (loud) trail bike, as I always did like a bit of stealth trail riding. No budget as I’m kinda just day dreaming for myself

Thoughts on either of those options?

5thElefant
    Free Member

Yamaha Tenere 660 is worth a look. I’ve always fancied one.

therevokid
    Free Member

have a 690 enduro r ktm … love it 😉

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

Here’s what I use 😀

If your brother is looking for something similar to a Transalp he might like that Kawasaki Versys http://www.versys.co.uk/
    Or more road orientated, ER6
    http://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/kawasaki/er-6n/2005/
    Yamaha MT07
    http://www.yamaha-motor.eu/uk/products/motorcycles/mt/mt-07.aspx
    Not sure what trail bike to use for ‘stealth trail riding’,old XL250 or DT175?

z1ppy

TBH I know it’s was misnomer to say stealth trail bike, it was more to suggest that a road legal moto-cross bike isn’t what I’d like

Is that XT of some sort Bustaspoke?

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

Yes it’s a XT600,proper ‘old school’ kickstart only,lots of people like it,me included.If you don’t want an Enduro but like trail bikes I’d look for something similar, XT600,XT500,XL500 or something smaller like a XL185,XL250 or two stroke DT175 or DT250?
    I’m sure someone will come up with some other suggestions HTH

craigxxl
    Free Member

I would bias the bike towards where you are going to ride it must. A lot of the singles mentioned above are great if you’re dong 50:50 road/green lanes but start to feel tedious on the road. There aren’t the same amount of gravel roads here to make a big single a sensible choice. For green lanes I would want something smaller as a bigger bike is very hard work.
    I would look at a bigger trail bike such as a Truimph Tiger or more road bias KTM 950 or 990SM. If you want something smaller then a BMW650GS

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

My current working solution to this problem, having gone off the CCM GP450, is a Honda CB500X + Rally Raid Stage 3.

Like this

z1ppy

My brother, just pootling around locally when not working (airline steward, so lot of time off with nothing to do & everyone else at work), so doesn’t need to be a single which is why I said transalp-esk (twin ain it) and he’s never shown much off-road inclination but being able to do legal green lanes would be nice. It’s more about the high seating position, so you have lots of visibility for being nosy as he trundles around.
    He doesn’t want a BMW, as our other brother has already tried to sell him his…

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

Tell him to demo a Kawasaki Versys & Yamaha MT07,those Ducati Scramblers also look nice
    http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/ducati/2015-ducati-scrambler-first-ride-review.html

nickname
    Free Member

I’ve got a Versys and a DRZ.

Versys is an excellent option – particularly like the comfort/up-right position and the 200+ tank range, however brakes could be better. It’s not something I would want to take on the green lanes (it’s fine on poo roads with potholes though). For everything else, it’s fantastic. If you fancied more poke then the KTM 950 would be on the top of my list.

If you want something that can do trails, the DRZ400S would work well – fairly light, and super fun (on and off-road). Comfortable around 65mph too – if getting the bike muddy on proper green lanes isn’t going to happen, then the SM version would be better.

The quietest trail bike I’ve owned was a CRF250L – it was fine on proper green lanes, and did the daily commute…I just found it a bit bland (certainly compared to the DRZ on road).

Tiger 800XC is another option, but it seems really expensive :/

chojin
    Free Member

CB500x rally road conversion +1

That or a tiger 800

dave661350

For your brother…why not a transalp ?
    Massively underrated (a tad boring)
    http://www.motorcyclenews.com/bikes-for-sale/honda/xl700v-transalp/3352124/

And for you..a Honda CRF250L
    http://www.motorcyclenews.com/bikes-for-sale/honda/crf250l/7657771/
    Great little bike. A few are being ridden round the world with no big issues.
    Or perhaps both go for similar types of bikes if you reckon you’ll ride days/weekends together ?
    BMW Sertao are good thumpers.
    http://www.motorcyclenews.com/bikes-for-sale/bmw/g650gs/3350930/

I did a 2 day off road course on one of these about 15 yrs ago, it was way better than me and was surprisingly good

z1ppy

I was going by 20 year m/c knowledge, so wasn’t aware a trans-alp still existed (or had till 2012).

Thanks ppl, food for thought

weeksy

The XT660Z as stated earlier is an exceptionally capable machine indeed

konabunny
    Free Member

Brother: V-Strom? A bit zzzzz but that’s what you want with a first bike, isn’t it?

breninbeener

Im collecting a versys this wednesday. If you search them online, there are several american write-ups making them into more of a green laner with a 21″ front wheel. It seems a remarkably capable bike and ideally suited to the uk.

failedengineer

In the time-honoured ST way of recommending what you own – Triumph Tiger 800. Fantastic bike.

Having said that, that CCM looks lovely.

coppice
    Free Member

V-strom for your brother and a ducati/triumph scrambler for yourself?

I’ve a 600 Transalp and will be selling a ’92 soon.

br
    Free Member

Sounds like you want the motorcycle equivalent to an SUV 🙂

z1ppy

And you point is?

metalheart
    Free Member

If you want something capable for green laning then it will compromise your road usage. For that you want a trailie, roughly 400cc, and knobbly tyres. You can take a versys or v-strom off road but only like a CX bike, it’s not much cop when you hit the proper off-road.

The new Africa Twin would be worth a look (but its a big lump 1000cc) as it seems designed for this. £10.5K for a basic asking price though.

I think the RR’d CB500X would be a good compromise do-it-all bike personally. Not too expensive either (and available 2nd-hand).

I remember reading on ADVrider about people using their NC700X’s off road to… (don’t think there’s a RR kit for them though)

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Motorcycle musings…’ is closed to new replies.