Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Motorcycle Insurance- Sportsbike V's Scooter
  • rossi46
    Free Member

I have a 1989 Kawasaki ZXR400 sportsbike (Bought it for £800 on Ebay, runs like a dream) and i can get a fully comprehensive years cover for £118 (bennetts). I am 34, have no 7 years no claims, no convictions, live in NW Kent, bike has no alarm and is kept in the back garden.

It also drinks petrol. So i was going to get a scooter for getting about cheaply.

A (say 2004) Gilera Runner 125 sounds ok, (say £800 for a slightly neglected one) £7 to fill it up and it’ll last all week.
    So how come the cheapest insurance i can get is £265?
    Is it because they are newer? Or because scabby little hoodies can get their hands on them?

Whats your thoughts?

catsplums
    Free Member

yeah newer and will be nicked (although most bikes run that risk) I have an R1 (2000 carbed model), sold secure ground anchored in the front garden (pretty quiet place though) Full NCD and I am paying £200 fully comp from memory, have a look around for something older but cool and have a peak at http://www.thebikeinsurer.tv I think it is….
    good luck

rossi46
    Free Member

I also looked up a 1987 Honda Superdream CB125 worth £600 for interest and it would cost me £10 more than my Kawasaki (£128 fully comp for the 125).
    Looks like im going to have to find a way of making my ZXR go a bit further on a tank (it’ll do 110 to reserve on a full tank, which is £16 these days).
    110 miles isnt too bad is it? 120 if i dont rev the tits out of it LOL

amplebrew

Just get a multi bike policy, I can add up to 3 other bikes for a nominal fee. My last R6 cost me £15 a year as an extra bike on my SP1 policy.

The scooter will be dearer as they’re stolen more than bikes and possibly beacuse you can’t use your no claims bonus on another policy.

simon_g

Scooters tend to have less sophisticated locks, no fancy immobilisers, owners tend not to chain them up and they’re light enough to be lifted into a van easily. Anything popular (like the Runners) have a healthy market for dodgy parts too so.

Scooters tend to be used far more as urban transport, all year round in all weathers, so unsurprisingly more claims against them than other types of bike.

Have a look at the 200/300cc ones, won’t be much worse on fuel but often no price premium – the 125s are in demand as any idiot with a CBT can ride one so a much stronger market for them. The maxi-scoots like the Burgman should be cheaper to insure too as they’re not as appealing to thieves.

fourbanger
    Free Member

I can’t comment on the insurance aspect, but I’d like to share with the group my motorcycling guilty pleasure;
    Honda Zoomer. I positively need one! This coming from an xr600 rider….
    I feel better for sharing!

rossi46
    Free Member

can’t use your no claims bonus on another policy.

Didnt think of that- i was just getting quotes of the Bennetts site.
    Multibike on my policy was around £300 for the Gilera and my ZXR.
    I best pick up the phone then eh?

amplebrew

Multibike on my policy was around £300 for the Gilera and my ZXR.

Try H&R Insurance

I’ve been with them for the last 14 years and found them really cheap.

rossi46
    Free Member

Honda Zoomer. I positively need one!

Imagine how i felt when i thought i should get a scooter for economic reasons!

Have a look at the 200/300cc ones

I must admit, one of those is a bit more appealing!
    My guilty secret is a strange leaning towards an Enfield Bullet! Ive heard that they can do 100 miles a gallon and can be fixed with a hammer!

amplebrew

I had a 100cc Honda Lead a few years ago to save using my R1 everyday and it saved me a fortune.

It would do just over 60mph and was much easier to look after as it had no chain and the mechanicals were completely covered in.

They also survive drops and low speed bumps better.

rossi46
    Free Member

Heres a Honda Zoomer for you- currently £550.

Clicky Linky

Looks like a mad thing- i like it!!!

Northwind

All the fashionable scooters are high theft risks. Scooters in general are a high crash risk, people don’t take them seriously. I did similiar and the quote for most 125s was higher than for my tuned-to-**** SV650. Cub 90 worked out cheaper though.

rossi46
    Free Member

Cub 90 worked out cheaper though

Oooooh thats an idea!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Motorcycle Insurance- Sportsbike V's Scooter’ is closed to new replies.