Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • Motorcycle Commuters
  • bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

I’m in the market for a new bike to replace two bikes. I currently use a CBF 125 for winter and bad weather commutes and a Suzuki GSR 600 for sunny commutes and fun. But nowadays the fun rides are few and far between.

So I’m looking for something sensible for my commute. It mainly consits of either 18 mile motorway borefest (mainly winter) and a 15 mile country road route to work.

Looking for something with good MPG, capable but not warp speed for the motorway and good reliability.

I’ve narrowed it down to

Kawasaki Versys 650
    Kawasaki ER6F/N
    Suzuki V Strom 650
    Kawasaki Ninja 300
    Honda CBR 300

And the Tarty option but probably a Bad idea a Ducati 696.
    The GSR 600 is great but its just too easy to go fast on and i already have a poor track record with speeding and the fuel economy isnt spectacular (110 miles to a tank) the CBF is great for commuting but is just dangerous on the motorway.

Any thoughts?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

You’ve missed the best bike of the lot.
    I took a chance and bought a Honda NC700X in January and it’s, no kidding, quite simply the best all-round commuting/utility motorcycle I’ve ever ridden. It’s got the manoeuvrability of a scooter (low c of g), the height to see over cars and cruises effortlessly on the motorway. It’s superbly built and I’m now getting an (real, calculated) average 85mpg. Tyres look like lasting 12-13,000 miles, servicing is every 8000.
    I get 200+ miles before reserve. It’ll probably do 250 to a tank.
    No, it’s not fast, but I rarely use all the power it has anyway, but it’s smooth and torquey and not without character.
    Just over £4k gets a used one. Seriouisly, go try one.

The only problem it has is other people’s opinions of it. ‘real’ bikers don’t understand them, they don’t get it.

enduroforever
    Free Member

I commute around 23 miles a day on a honda pcx 125. Does 70mph and I get over 100mpg easily feels fine on the motorway too. Tbf I can’t fault it in any way at all apart from the stigma of riding a scooter of course

jota180
    Free Member

Out of those, I’d think the Versys was probably the best commuter

I’d look at a Tiger800 too [as long as you’re not too short] I have one as an everyday runabout and it’s extremely versatile with a stunning engine and great handling.

Northwind

The Versys and Eeyore are both good, though the older ones had pretty poor build quality- are you buying new? Vstrom 650 is nice enough for an “adventure bike” but knobblies make ****-all sense if you’re not going offroad. And other than that it’s basically a heavy SV650 with a slightly better fairing.

I think the correct answer is probably a deauville- it’s a 2 wheeled car.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Used probably. Budget up to £4000

craigxxl
    Free Member

My brother got rid of his NC700 for a Deauville as his year round daily commuter. He thought the NC700 was unbelievable dull. Saying that and changing it for the Dueaville it must have been boring.
    Out of the bikes you listed though I would go for the V Strom 650 which isn’t a bad bike just make sure it’s coated with ACF50 come winter. If you’re short in the leg the SV650.

metalheart
    Free Member

Vstrom 650 is nice enough for an “adventure bike” but knobblies make ****-all sense if you’re not going offroad

knobblies, you taking the piss? I’ve done just over 7k on the stock tyres and other than gravel drive and the short access track its been tarmac. It was no problem on my 320 jaunt on Friday which included a 80-90 miles blast (at an indicated 80) up the M/A90. Wouldn’t fancy taking them tyres properly ‘off road’ like. The V-strom is fine for commuting purposes. Not saying that the the SV might not be a better choice though.
    For me the main problem is the 3.5k service intervals. ETA: if out of warranty I think you could probably push it to 5k servicing, initially on the new V-strom 1000 they were indicating 3.5k but ‘on reflection’ decided on 7.5k! That and being a Suzuki it needs regular treatment against corrosion. ETA: as per Craig, ACF50 is the thing.
    I think PP’s recommendation is pretty good though. They are cheap (they seem frowned on as not being a ‘real’ bike for some reason, being A2 compatible and low rpm?). 8k service internals; I can only dream of!
    The Tiger is a fine bike but its not cheap (to buy or run) be lucky to get 50 mpg. Also at 90-odd bhp, won’t help the OP ‘slow down’ neither!

Northwind

Do they not come with Trailwings on as standard? Or am I misremembering?

mogrim

You think the GSR 600 is too easy to go too fast on… why makes you think the other 600-650 options are going to be that much better?

That said, for commuting I’d go with the VStrom or the Versys: faired, nice upright position, stick a box on the back and they won’t look stupid.

metalheart
    Free Member

NW: yup, trail wings, but calling them knobblies is a misrepresentation. They are pretty much a road orientated tyre with farm track potential… I’ve only had 2 ‘moments’ with them (the rear). one was (probably) diesel on exiting a roundabout in the wet (I saw the back end come around…!!!) and once cranked right over (I dragged my foot) on a tight corner at speed it skipped a fraction.
    And they’re not much cop over the gravel driveway…

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I’ll sell you a nice, low miles 1050 Speed Triple for £4000.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

My brother got rid of his NC700 for a Deauville as his year round daily commuter. He thought the NC700 was unbelievable dull.

That’s it in a nutshell. He didn’t get it. Proves my point entirely.
    I don’t find it dull at all. It’s got more character then the 110bhp Ducati I also ride, and the Speed Triple I used to own. Power does not equal character.
    It’s an absolute hoot! It feels so light and direct. You can throw it around good and proper – heave on the away with confidence on the ABS, scrape the pegs round the corners, and hoof out of corners from seemingly zero revs on a wave of torque. I can do 90 degree turns round queuing cars,,in and out wherever there’s a gap because I can SEE the gap and because it turns so neatly and easily. Honda have done amazing things with the handling. It’s amazingly easy to ride.
    It’s home is in traffic, and on the motorway. It’s a utility bike. The storage box in the tank is a genius idea, it’s got the best mirrors I’ve ever had n a bike, it’s cheap to run. I’ve added a bigger screen, handguards and a Scottoiler, all for practicality. I’ve done 250 miles plus a week since January on mine, 9500 miles so far, and I love it. For a long commute with traffic its perfect. I can see me keeping it a long time. And, being a Honda, I know it’ll last as long as I want it to.

deviant
    Free Member

Sensible answer:

Of the bikes you listed the Versys is the best all round, it always gets great reviews, the twin engine is reliable, economical and quick etc etc….Kawasaki always have good deals on too if you’re buying new.
    Loads of top-boxes, luggage etc available for them.

Snarky answer:

I can tell from the bikes you listed and your current machine that you really dont care for performance…if you want to go slowly get something completely different but with the ability to go off road….get a Honda CRF250L
    You can then have a new hobby and try green laning etc etc

The better half works for Honda and i had a demonstrator for a day, my previous bikes have been R1, GSXR-750, ZX6-R, FZ1 etc etc….all fast but increasingly boring as the years have passed, i had a hoot the day i borrowed the 250 dirt bike.
    Surprisingly practical, good economy, excellent visibility, good acceleration, sits at 70mph….and goes off road, i cannot tell you how fun this is, try one, you’ll develop a whole new skill set too and its just like MTB-ing but with an engine!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’ll sell you a nice, low miles 1050 Speed Triple for £4000.

And it’ll be an awful commuter bike. I did 33,000 miles on a 955i Speed 3 and it was great, but they are one top-heavy old lump of a bike. I sat on a 1050 in a dealers at the weekend and it’s worse than my 955 was! Top heavy, too much power you’ll never use, big expensive tyres and lots of torque and weight to wear them out, no weather protection, no manoeuvrability in traffic. Nahh. As good as they are, that’s the wrong bike for the job.
    🙂

Northwind

metalheart – Member

NW: yup, trail wings, but calling them knobblies is a misrepresentation.

OK, fair dos, that was a bit fast and loose. Basically what I should have said was, proper road tyres in proper road sizes are a better choice for a road bike, than dual use tyres in offroad sizes.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Nah not fussed on performance. Love a speed or even street triple but I want something sensible these days. Had a ride of a Ducati 899 last week and as brilliant as it was I just can’t see the need for something that goes that fast on a commute.
    Even my Suzuki is doing ridiculous speeds quite easy in third gear.

Punchy useable power is what I’m after.

anagallis_arvensis

I cant tell PP do you like that new bike of yours or not?

Defender
    Free Member

+1 for the Honda NC700X.
    I have the DCT version which is a superb commuter bike, so easy to use in heavy traffic coupled with it’s maneuverability and good visibility.
    I get an average of 85 mpg, my last 3 tank fulls have been commuting only returning 87.0, 87.0 and 87.7, calculated.
    I admit it’s not the most exciting bike I’ve owned or the best, but it does my 20 mile each way commute my very well, gives me reliable journey times.
    I’ve added a taller screen, hand guards, extended mudguard, rear wheel hugger and a centre stand.
    Give one a try, within 300 metres I was sold on it, some people seem to question the low rev limit, for me that wasn’t an issue as I like torquey engines you don’t have to rev to get the best of.

konabunny
    Free Member

Peter Poddys bought an Nc700X has he? Funny, he’s never mentioned it. 😐

Pigface
    Free Member

BMW gs might be worth thinking about, shaft drive, big road presence, handle really well. You wil have to put up with weird beards telling you about Morocco but they are great bikes you really connect with.

Or maybe you don’t

failedengineer

Triumph Bonneville? I’m biased, but they’re certainly not stupid fast. Bit heavy, but they sure do look good.

anagallis_arvensis

Big GS would be a heavy old brute I’d imagine, expensive too. The F650 GS would fit the bill though. Even cheaper G650 single cylinder might not be so good on motorways.

redstripe
    Free Member

Honda Transalp

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

if you’re gonna commute in winter, buy a Honda, simples. VFR or Blackbird. BMW’s expensive but I love mine..

superfli
    Free Member

Gs1200 will be to expensive to buy and to run. Expect 40mpg on motorway. Gs800 which I have is cheaper to buy and run but still only 55mpg.
    If you want big mpg can’t help! All my bikes have been short travel commuters with power or torque 😀 (gs is by far the most boring bike I have owned, but I’m getting old)

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

onboard readout on my GS1200 says 62mpg 😀

superfli
    Free Member

My gs800 says 51mpg, but I tag it a lot 😀
    A mate at work commutes 40 miles each way on motorway on his 1200 and tells me he gets 40mpg? He’s thinking of changing bikes as it’s too expensive. Although shaft drive, he has had to have the shaft split on lots of services, making it expensive and pointless!

dknwhy

I used to use a Suzuki GS500 for work and commuting around London. Was as cheap as anything to run.
    Changed jobs and quit motorcycling when we had our lad. If I were to get into it again, i’d get the new Honda CB500.
    I’ve had a few different bikes but the 500cc Suzuki was the only one I ever felt truly capable of riding and it did everything I asked of it.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Yeah I really like the Honda it’s a cracking looking thing. Can’t believe I completely overlooked it. May annoy Honda for a demo bike.

Northwind

I’ve never owned a GS but I used to work for a bank, and just about everyone with a motorbike got a BMW. Watching them deteriorate in the car park even faster than my Suzuki was pretty shocking, flaky frames and engine cases etc… Scottish winter is hard on bikes but still.

Stoner
    Free Member

bwfc – Im with peterpoddy on this.

Im a “new” motorcyclist. Only did my DA last winter after 2yrs on 125.
    I love my NC700X. It’s so comfortable to ride, does everything I want it to without screaming around at 8,000rpm.

Got mine for a good price as an ex demo with 1k on the clock from my local dealer with a good trade in on my PCX.

and 75mpg cant be sniffed at.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

A lot of guys working hard to justify their dull bikes.
    They’re middle of the road compromises. Get a 125cc scooter (250cc if you go on motorways) or buy a rocketship bike and rag the crap out of it.

Just remember that bikes SUCK in bad weather. Cold, rain, snow, grip, loads of layers – you look like the Michelin Man and walk into work dripping all over the place. You can’t carry anything worthwhile either.
    They’ll rot like hell through winter and don’t pretend they are cheaper to run than a small car. Tyres, chains, service intervals. The car will still be dull, but also dry and warm.

For £4k you can get a fun bike and a shitty wee car.

mogrim

The car will still be dull, but also dry and warm.

Which is handy, as I’d be sitting in it for an hour longer each day.

Stoner
    Free Member

I have my telly-tubby suit, and space for 150 litres of dry cargo on my bike. I also fitted some s/h heated grips. I love the bad weather! so thrrrrrrprppppppppp!!!! @ guitar boy.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

For me with currently 3 points and a previous license revocation (6 points in first year) on a car license. Car insurance is daft for me. Plus I actually don’t mind cold and wet. My commute is a great stress reliever from work. Only time I won’t ride is in the snow, luckily I do have access to a car but I’ve drove it once since we bought it last November.

Been riding for 11 years now through all weather’s and I won’t give up till I have too.
    I don’t need or want a crotch rocket, the most exciting thing about a motorbike is the acceleration and even a 500cc twin excites compared to a car.

The NC700x looks good.

Northwind

yourguitarhero – Member

Just remember that bikes SUCK in bad weather. Cold, rain, snow, grip, loads of layers – you look like the Michelin Man and walk into work dripping all over the place.

It took me a while to realise, but in my goretex-and-plastic spacesuit I always arrived in the office dry and warm, whereas if I drove to work the walk/run from the car to the office often left me wetter and colder.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Aye Gortex, waterproof boots, fleece and heated grips I’m toasty. Set off at 0600 for work. Arrive at 0630. Takegear off , brew up and ready for work relaxed at 0700.

mogrim

Aye Gortex, waterproof boots, fleece and heated grips I’m toasty. Set off at 0600 for work. Arrive at 0630. Takegear off , brew up and ready for work relaxed at 0700.

Have to say that when it gets properly cold I have bar end muffs, yeah they look a bit crap but it’s dark when I ride in, and dark when I ride home. And warm hands beat frozen style any day.

Northwind

I heart my heated gloves. Heated grips are alright but heated gloves are like voodoo.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Motorcycle Commuters’ is closed to new replies.