Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Motorcycle chain lube
  • joolsburger
    Free Member

Loads more for your money (500ml 6 quid) and probably better performance any reason I shouldn't click buy it now?

BigJohn

Dunno, but I started using 3in1 a while back and its cheap AND excellent.

LoCo
    Free Member

Bit too sticky? maybe due to anti fling properties due to a motorcycle chain travelling at higher speeds?
    Ok for commuter bikes. Maybe, 😕

joolsburger
    Free Member

I'd reckon anti fling is a good thing obviously you need to wipe off any excess though.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

3in1 was pants when I tried it.

Bought a tin of putoline wax, its a big shoe polish ni the size of a tin of cadburys roses, you put it on the stove when the missus aint looking, melt the wax, drop the chain in, stir it arround and remove it after a few minutes. Havent used it yet, but apparently it lasts almost as long as the chain!

Also halfords own brand chain wet-lube is seriously sticky stuff, but soesnt seem to stick to the chain when your putting it on, just forms a spiders web arround the chainstay and chainrings.

PhilO
    Free Member

Forget motorcycle oil – I use chainsaw oil on both mtb and motorbike. Excellent stuff, and cheap (but make sure you wipe any excess off thoroughly). 8)

I tried it and it was a bit too thick and sticky.
    It would probably work OK on a hardtail SS, but I found the chain didn't want to flex round the tensioner jockey wheels.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Only here would someone come up with that, chainsaw oil it is!!!

Dibbs
    Free Member

I used to use some motorcycle chain lub. when I did lots of miles, it was called Yoshimoto Kingood, (I think). When you sprayed it on it was very runny and penetrated into the chain links, but after a few minutes it thickened up, it was the only stuff I found that wouldn't get washed off by long wet rides on the Quantocks.

juan
    Free Member

3 in 1 will only kill your freehub motorcycl oil wont work too sticky and the bike chain will not get up to speed enough

bigbloke
    Free Member

Like the sound of the chainsaw oil, is it bike safe….guessing it is?

coatesy
    Free Member

Been using Castrol chain wax on mine for years with no problems, one of the few lubes that seems to stay on the chain longer than the ride out of the car park takes.Far better than the over-priced, over-hyped stuff we sell in the bike industry, and funnily enough, my chains always seem to last longer and run smoother than my riding buddie's.

shepleg
    Free Member

yeah alright coatsey i'd run out of proper lube, I only had gt 85!

Betamax
    Free Member

+1 on the Putoline boil up chain wax. Sand doesn't stick and lasts ages. Spray on stuff too stickyicky.

epicyclo

I've used Mr Sheen when caught without lube. Chain smells nicer 🙂

It's also good for noisy hinges in the house.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Motorcycle chain lube’ is closed to new replies.