Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Motorcycle CBT – whos done it?
  • drslow
    Free Member

Anyone passed their CBT and subsequent modules to get their licence? do you feel cycling gave you and edge for it. Signed up to mine on Saturday with Bikerite in Glasgow and looking forward to it. Just bought some leather bike gloves and was going to wear an more fashion orientated leather jacket. Will i die?

anagallis_arvensis

You might die who can tell. I thought a combination of being a car driver so knowing how roads work and cycling sixth sense did help. Knackering days though!

Seamus
    Free Member

They usually give you the basics – helmet, gloves and jackets. I’ve just passed my mod2, I was surprised that cycling didn’t seem to help at all with the mod 1 slalom & figure of 8, either that or I’m a crap cyclist.
    Glad I did it, its good fun and much easier getting to work now not sitting in a queue of cars for over an hour.

nedrapier

cycling didn’t seem to help at all with the mod 1 slalom & figure of 8

agreed! rear brake, busy revs, clutch control and looking where you want to go.

Cycling only really helps with the looking. Maybe. Even if you think you know about that part, you’ll almost certainly still need telling again!

nedrapier

I think general road sense from driving will help, and that’ll be enhanced from the extra perspective of cycling on the road.

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

on the contrary stay out of the gutter an assume the primary position at all times.

Northwind

I had a comedy disaster with mine, I’d never driven either and just couldn’t grasp clutch control. But I had good enough balance and control from cycling, to let me kind of hide that (not intentionally, it just worked out that way) til it got harder then I just imploded 😆 Awful, I’d already bought the bike or I’d never have gone back.

But! Totally worth it in the end. I don’t ride any more but I loved it while it lasted, had some great times, met awesome people, all that good stuff. There wasn’t space for pushbikes and motorbikes in my life, in the end but I miss it.

gonefishin
    Free Member

I found that once out on the road I was a lot more comfortable as a result of all the cycling I’d done.

I did stall the bike rather a lot though.

sobriety
    Free Member

Done mine, three times now, should really get my full license but given that I only really intend to ride 125s (two strokes though) it’s not really worth it.

All cycling gives you is a bit more road sense, I’d recommend doing the car park section in thinner gloves though if it’s your first time on a motorbike, as I find that I get more ‘feel’ on the clutch that way.

anagallis_arvensis

First time out on the open road coming up to a bend. I leant over and bike carried straight on, leant a bit more nothing. Hauled the bike over and it turned. Major difference is you learn the motorbike over to turn on a bicycle you lean yourself and the bike follows.

Stoner
    Free Member

+1 to the cycling helping.

I did my CBT for the second time 4 yrs ago at age 35. First time I was 16.

I passed by DA 18months ago.

I ride my Honda regularly – in fact just got in on it 30mins ago. Lots of commuter cycling in London arms you well for motorbike riding to a point. There’s lots of handling stuff which only comes with experience, but road presence, knowing what to look out for before someone does something stupid, appreciating things like visibility, road position, eye-contact, etc etc all carries across from cycling very well. I passed my MODs 1 & 2 first time, although I had to have a second, faster, run at the slalom since Gloucester testing facility was under 1″ of water and leaves and you need to be doing 30mph straight off a bend 😀

simon_g

I found general balance, confidence and control was better than my mate who barely cycles. But that could be other aptitude factors. I think doing some tight figure-8s on a pushbike (go really slow and trying “picking up” the bike with some pedal input) can’t hurt at all.

As said, big difference is going from a bike that weighs a fraction of what you do, to one that weighs considerably more than you. It takes some much more deliberate actions on your part to make it do what you want it to.

cbike
    Free Member

I got passed by an instructor on the inside at a junction “to make a point” about road position. Take their advice with a pinch of salt. A stupid manoeuvre any defensive driver wouldn’t attempt. I have done it twice and get the impression many motorcycle trainers think they are special. Puts you off abit. My driving instructor never seemed like this.

totalshell

road sense a little balance and 3 brain cells will get you through..

kayla1
    Free Member

+1 on the cycling giving you road sense, a bit of balance and not much else. I did mine around 15 years ago when it was a good chunk easier though. I used to cycle in and around Newcastle and Manchester so that’s where the self-preservation came from!

anagallis_arvensis- you counter steered.

mattstreet

Did this a couple of years ago – great thing to do!

Cycling helps a bit – certainly with the obs – however, remember you can keep up with the traffic and you can position yourself in the middle of the lane, rather than a bit to the left as you might on the pushbike. And if you’re used to a car, remember to turn your indicators off. 🙂

Best of luck!

Dolcered

Can highly recommend the guys at bikerite. If I can pass…..

If you don’t master everything perfectly first time don’t be put off, very few can.

Good luck.

br
    Free Member

Anyone passed their CBT and subsequent modules to get their licence?

Nah, old enough that I had ‘L’ plates on one of these 🙂

http://classic-motorbikes.net/images/gallery/1978-rd250.jpg

And tbh riding a motorcycle will make you a better car driver – more observant.

allthegear
    Free Member

Having spent time on a mountain bike definitely helped me on the motorbike lessons. I really don’t see much difference!

Had a bike for a year and a day now. Just shy of 12000 miles put on my BMW!! 🙂

Rachel

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

agreed! rear brake, busy revs, clutch control and looking where you want to go.

Its OK if you can relate it to track standing properly with all your weight on the front pedal and the back brake locked/modulating. Then its just a case of re-learning it with the clutch as your bodyweight and the brake under your foot.

Other than that, nope, nothing like riding a bike! Particularly observations, everything happens quicker so a long look over your shoulder has to be much quicker, and its more about looking at the gap in traffic where your going as youre as fast/faster than anything else.

benji
    Free Member

I did my cbt and licence tests on my YZF-R125, no lessons, just good road sense from driving and reading the books, and looking at what they wanted you to do on the internet and practicing. Went on to ride bigger bikes, and do my bikesafe and then onto the IAM, I survived, no death for me.

But, heres the big but, my boss died last month whilst riding his motorbike, it’s left a massive hole in our workshop, thankfully we are still running as senior partners want it to keep running, but it’s a devastating time for the family, friends and colleagues.

You are a more vunerable road user, ride like you are invisible expect no one to see you, and don’t accelerate into danger, yes a bike can be fun, but in the words from spiderman, with great power comes great responsibility. A sports bike on the right road, can be one of the most exhilarating experiences, it can also be your last.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

I did mine many years ago as soon as I turned 17. Not sure how it works now but what I can tell you is I had great fun doing it. Good luck 🙂

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Motorcycle CBT – whos done it?’ is closed to new replies.