Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Motorcross enduro circuit for MTB race?
  • hammerite
    Free Member

Noticed that a farm in the next village from me hosts MX enduro type events through the summer. 7 mile circuit, mixture of farm land and spinney/woods on the side of a hill. Watched some go pro you tube footage and looks like it could be good – although the circuit didn’t look very smooth.

I’ve only ever raced my MTB at Thetford winter series and FNSS, so don’t have a huge amount of experience to call on. Just wondering whether these make reasonable MTB race circuits? Anyone raced on a MX course?

I’m assuming there’s some sort of portaloo set up. Thinking about going to the farm and asking if I can have a ride round, or maybe the mx event organiser.

lasty
    Free Member

Having ridden a few multi-lap motorcycle enduros over the years, i reckon any part of the circuit which feels ok on motorcycle will shake your fillings out …

HOWEVER – dont give up. with a bit of imagination im sure you could string together a decent lap, keeping mostly off the enduro circuit with a few passing places youll be on to a winner .. 😆

aa
    Free Member

the first bonty 12/24 went up some mx rollers, it was a terrible part of the course imo.

hammerite
    Free Member

Yeah, that’s what I meant about “didn’t look very smooth”!

It looks good terrain and if they’re open to MX events on the land, then I’m sure the landowners are probably open to ideas. Must be some parking already there.

My club are looking for a cx circuit too after being kicked off our previous race venue. That would be bumpy with no suspension at all!

Jason
    Free Member

Today’s Southern XC race was at Matterley Basin, which has hosted British GP Motocross races. Today’s course totally avoided the MX circuit and was on a purpose built mtb course in the woods. I don’t think an mtb race on a MX course would work.

chives
    Free Member

Did an XC race last year that took in the indoor MX track at Wheeldon farm – tedious really IMO.

dobo
    Free Member

nah, mx courses and mtb dont mixes well imo, only tried to ride the old one at micheldevour which was hard going. I also saw the one at materley bowl today which wouldnt have worked well being on the side of a hill and ive got one down the road at three maids hill, which looks muddy and lumpy.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Wasn’t there a race back in the early days of MTB (Think Joe Murray era) at a MX track in the US? Glen Helen?

singlespeedstu

Most of the trails in Thetford were cut in by Enduro events.
    Some of the trails at Innerleithen were cut in by Enduro events.
    Most of the trails in the Dyfi forest were cut in by Enduro events…

singlecrack
    Free Member

Also there is a great difference between Mx/Enduro (hare n hounds) to proper Timecard Enduro ….if its the latter it would prob work

singlespeedstu

if its the latter it would prob work

Anyone that has ever taken part in a Kona/Merida/ CRC 100K will have ridden a lot of trails cut in by propper enduros.

5thElefant
    Free Member

All the enduros I raced had timecard classes and h&h classes so I’m not sure how the tracks differs (being the same track).

But… they rut up quick and braking bumps form quick too. I can’t imagine a regular endure venue would be much good for mtb.

Trimix
    Free Member

Sorry, Ive ridden a lot of motorcycle Enduro – what works for motorcycles will not work for mountain bikes.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

You take the first round of the British Enduro Sprint race be very hard work to get up those hills not to mention the mud crossings.Some tracks would be ok alot not.In the early 90s there were a few races on MX tracks Brookthorpe Gloucestershire mud bath and the odd one at Fox Hills Swindon alot of running there very steep hills.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Tried riding down a hill at an MX track a few years back, I was peddling like billy-o and I still couldn’t get any air on the jumps. It was so rutted and cut up that holding a line or any speed was near impossible.

singlespeedstu

Sorry, Ive ridden a lot of motorcycle Enduro

😆

Sounds like you’ve ridden round a few fields at H & H events. 😉

hammerite
    Free Member

Thanks all, I knew they had mx enduros at Thetford so thought it might work. Looks the place I’m on about gets used 3-4 times a year, not a lot more.

Here’s a vid of the course if anyone is interested http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AooDZI0H7rU

Euro
    Free Member

Those guys are awfully slow.

hammerite
    Free Member

Yes, I wondered whether they were doing it for the benefit of the video.

singlespeedstu

Those guys are awfully slow.

Agrees.

Propper enduro riders look much faster.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVdcBfyi0Qc[/video]

Euro
    Free Member

Sorry, should have been more constructive 😀

I’ve no enduro experience, but if it was as dry as the vid, and you were allowed to put a few mtb specific jumps and berms around the track you could make something that would be fun to ride.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

The hill at Hawkestone looks fun!

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19M8nyWx7Dk[/video]

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

The hill at Hawkstone is great the other way mind screams the hell out of a 125cc those were the days.Very sapping that sand.Great track though.

singlecrack
    Free Member

As long as its not like the Bob Perring Classic …..a 26 mile rut last time I did it 😯
    Fun though

singlespeedstu

a26 mile rut

It ends up in Aberystwyth tram shed if you follow it to the end. 😆

jd-boy
    Free Member

All the trails in Thetford forest have been created by Motorbike Enduros, and after a period of settling time they are fantastic. and thats what Dusk til Dawn, Winter Series and Revel Summer Enduro are all run over by the Thetford MTB Racing events crew 😀

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Motorcross enduro circuit for MTB race?’ is closed to new replies.