Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Motorbikers: 'Biker Down' – free first aid course run by fire brigade
  • konabunny
    Free Member

pretty much as the title, really – I know there are a few motorcyclists here so thought it might be of interest. I haven’t been yet but the fire brigade does them monthly near me so I’ve signed up.

Link and description below but you have to look up your local brigade’s website: http://m.cheshirefire.gov.uk/public-safety/road-safety/biker-down

If you were the first on the scene of an accident involving a biker, would you know what to do? Would you know who is most at risk, how to protect the area or whether you should remove the helmet of a downed rider?

Actions taken in the first few moments after an accident can be crucial in minimising injuries and can make a real difference to the lives of those involved. But there can be some uncertainty about what to do in these situations.

Biker Down is a free training course run by bikers for bikers designed to answer these uncertainties.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I did the Tayside Police BikeSafe thing (they don’t like calling it a course) a couple of years ago and it included a first aid element presented by a doctor – orthopaedic surgeon, IIRC
    Bikesafe seems to vary region by region but contacting your local traffic cops should let you know what’s on. I think they all involve going for a ride and being tailed by a cop who then critiques your performance. Good, but being told to “ride the way you would normally” is maybe not compatible with looking in the mirror and seeing a BMW or Pan with the word POLICE written all over it. 😀

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Good, but being told to “ride the way you would normally” is maybe not compatible with looking in the mirror and seeing a BMW or Pan with the word POLICE written all over it.

A friend just did one and was told to “get a move on” 😛

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

This is well worth a watch by Dr Hinds if you have the time.

DR John Hinds RIP

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Motorbikers: 'Biker Down' – free first aid course run by fire brigade’ is closed to new replies.