Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Motorbike tyres
  • Stoner
    Free Member

First motorbike and first time to start thinking of new tyres.

This has done 5,500 miles. They are Metzler Roadtec Z8 OEM tyres fitted to my NC700 and are notorious for early wear.

I do quite a bit of motorway riding hence the flat central band, but I also get a chance now and then to move the bike around a bit more so the chicken strips aren’t massive. But Ive noticed that the rubber towards the edges seems to be very scrubby. A lot of the tread has gone and Im only a smidge over the TWI mark.

Just recently the rear has started to handle a bit funny, less sure-footed, steps up, down and sideways when it hits lateral lines on the road surface.

Is this pattern of wear and change in behaviour all “normal” and to be expected? Even if it possibly has happened a bit early.

The bike is due a service anyway, so I can get a new tyre fitted then. Any recommendations I should look for? I will trawl the NC700 forums too. PeterPoddy – what have you got on your NC?

hammyuk
    Free Member

They aren’t the best tyre out there.
    The NC isn’t as light as you’d think either so you want to be looking at perhaps Dunlop RoadSmarts or the Bridgestone Equivalent.
    Avoid any of the “sportier” tyres as you simply won’t get the heat into them to make use of the extra grip they give added to the fact that you’ll destroy the centre on the M’way.
    That really is a very odd wear pattern on there though – I’ve seen similar BUT on a front that spent its time on german hairpins not commuting!

CheesybeanZ

This has done 5,500 miles. They are Metzler Roadtec Z8 OEM tyres fitted to my NC700 and are notorious for early wear.

I destroyed a Pirelli dragon evo corsa in under 800 mikes – thats early wear .

chrissyboy
    Free Member

Squared off and worn tyres always feel a bit dodgy to me, with symptoms like you describe above.

I’ve never had Metzlers on my bike, but I’ve been impressed with Michelin Pilot Road 4s on my Triumph Sprint ST. Fitted them just before a trip to Scotland earlier this year and they were’t marked after 1,500 miles or so on very abrasive surfaces. Very different to my mate’s Speed Triple with a new pair of some sort of track tyres on – his rear was shagged at the end of the trip, down to the wear indicators.

Seem to be wearing well and they feel really stable and sure footed to me. I’d assume that they’d also be good on your NC700. Always best to replace tyres in pairs though.

hammyuk
    Free Member

TBH any of the newer road oriented tyres will be far above what you’re used to.
    What you do need to be careful of is the weight of your bike and its use.
    A lot of the tyres are designed with a “certain” type of bike in mind.
    For example the GT23 is for Touring/high power so think Sprint GT/ZZR1400/etc all year round.
    Similar to Sportsmarts are for ZX10/CBR/GSXR when temps are above 9-10 degrees and very little water.
    Where the Roadsmarts/Pilot Road are for similar power to the GT23 but a lower weight and all year use, great wet weather handling, etc.
    At the power and weight of yours theres no reason why you can’t use Roadsmarts/Pilots as the smaller section will allow the tyre to work properly.
    To give you an idea – my ZZR1400 came with S20’s – 4k exactly from a rear, 6’5k on the front before the handling got very strange – but then thats a 212bhp bike weighing 260kgs.
    Where the GT23’s where only half worn when I swapped them out for the Roadsmarts before Germany this year.
    They’ve now done 2.7k (1.4k of that was down to germany, 10 days in the Harz mountain, Adenau, The Ring and Home with several flat out Autobahn runs) and you’d struggle to see where they’ve worn yet. There aren’t any chicken strips on them either.
    Far too many just go for the stickiest tyres they can get, race scrubs, etc and then wonder why they are posting on the forums asking for parts because they binned it.

Northwind

That’s brilliantly square, good job! They start off super round so uneven wear’s sometimes a bit more intrusive than it is on more complex shapes.

Is the OE the same as the aftermarket tyre? Metzeler used to be the kings of the shite OE fitment. The Roadtec Z6 (and its partner the Diablo Strada) was a great tyre, boiled mine a bit on track but for everything else it was good, not up to date on the Z8

Stoner
    Free Member

cheers hammy et al.

Very useful info. I’d heard of Pilot Roads so that may well be a good starting point. Also, more likely to be available at my LMS.

The strange handling seemed to be more apparent once the “lean” rubber had worn flat so that the tyre is shaped like:
    ..____
    ./……..\
    |……….|

so whilst leaning it goes flat to edge to flat which is unnerving.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Very squared off and bad ‘cupping’ to the sides. I’m not surprised it feels horrible. Any mainstream commuter tyre should be fine as a replacement.

the chicken strips aren’t massive

Is that not your tyre in the picture? 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

mleh. Born to be mild, me 😉

And as for “cupping”…..WTF?

br
    Free Member

Is this pattern of wear and change in behaviour all “normal” and to be expected?

Yes.

I use to put Avon’s on as a ‘decent’ tyre – not sure what they do for super-scoots.

Also check the front, how ‘square’ is it and/or is it chamfered against the road camber?

sobriety
    Free Member

And as for “cupping”…..WTF?

I think that’s where the tyre has concave on the sides, I.e. it’s not so much:

..____
    ./……..\
    |……….|

More

..____
    .)……..(
    |……….|

almightydutch
    Free Member

I’d be checking your pressures more regular Stoner, I’ve only ever seen cupping like that on under inflated tyres.

Stoner
    Free Member

good point, dutch. I admit, while Im brilliant at looking after my chain, I havent given the tyres much thought. 😳

hammyuk
    Free Member

Stick a Scottoiler on it then and look after your tyres instead 😆

Marge
    Free Member

5.5k isn’t bad for OE tyres in my experience

Choose a good ‘sports-touring’ tyre and you can probably double that if you are gentle.

Eventually the same horrid wear pattern will return but that’s the joy of highway commuting.

Stoner
    Free Member

ahem, just back in from checking pressures. 😳

bit embarrassed there.
    Should be 36/42.
    20/20 not going to be doing it much good is it?

hammyuk
    Free Member

Not really.
    Hold your hand out…

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

Was gonna say, don’t go near Pirelli if you’re wearing out quickly …

Avon tyres are my fav but are costly.

Michelin gold … Series tyres last alright tbh.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I fitted a set of Pilot Road 4’s to my street triple in the summer as Michelin were doing a cash back promo. So far they seem very good, not used them in the rain but a Frenchman I was speaking to in the Alps rated them very highly when it got moist.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Should be 36/42.

There’s your answer and I assume you normally have the panniers on too.

chrissyboy
    Free Member

Flat tyres aren’t really helping your cause!!

I had some Pirellis on this bike when I got it – managed to wear the rear through to the cords in an unreasonably short length of time.

I can vouch for the Pilot Road 4s in the wet – very stable during a week’s worth of rain in the Isle of Man one weekend earlier this year 🙂

posiwev
    Free Member

As mentioned a case of ‘squared off’ not good for handling, it’ll be skittish over white lines, over banding etc. and won’t be consistant when cornering.

M and P have some excellent tyre deals on such as Michelin Pilot Roads (the original ones) for £120 a pair or less. ( cheaper than some mtb tyres) 😀

failedengineer

+1 for Pilot Roads. Avons are always good too, IME, and made in England!

one_bad_mofo

Just stick a pair of Pilot Roads on there, either 3 or 4. YOU can’t go wrong with them for all round regular riding.

Stoner
    Free Member

cheers guys. The front tyre is fine, but I guess for the marginal cost might as well bung a pair on eh?

Rubber_Buccaneer

Yeah, by cupping I meant that concave look to each side of the tyre. Your lax attitude to tyre pressures probably did that. Asking about tyres will have you going around in circles 🙂 as everyone has their own opinion and preference. I see Avons recommended up there but I have an Avon Storm something on one of my bikes and it is very sketchy in the wet. I wouldn’t worry too much about fitting tyres in pairs either. Just change each one when needed unless you have a real yearning for fresh rubber.

marginal cost

Lend us a tenner would ya?

Stoner
    Free Member

Your lax attitude to tyre pressures probably did that

I wont do it again, sir. *sniff*

chojin
    Free Member

+1 Pilot Road 4s

You rarely hear a bad word said about them.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Pilot Roads or Pirelli Angels every time for me!

I absolutely HATE Bridgestones and put a curse on their house… hateful tyres.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

(My Metzlers lasted about 1800 miles on the Guzzi… alas due to financial constraints I put some oldskool Metzlers back on – can’t remember the designation off the top of my head, but they were £110 for the pair! Also hateful, but I haven’t the funds to put something better on at the moment!)

crossland
    Free Member

A set of Bridgestone Battlax BT23s transformed my er6, brilliant tyres, they are what will replace the dunlops on my tracer

sobriety
    Free Member

I’ve got bt090s on my rs125. They be sticky, but tyres that only last 2000miles isn’t really an issue when you have to rebuild the top end every 3000!

anagallis_arvensis

I had very good wear from Avon Roadriders when on my commute bike.

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

Bt23’s were great on my SV650. Probably a similar weight and performance to a NC700?

sam_underhill

Pilot Road 4s on my street triple. Sooooooooooo much better than the originals. The pr4s are warm enough by the end of my road and if got so much more confidence on the bike.
    Sure, on the track there’s better options, but for real life the sports touring tyres these days are the best option.

footflaps

bit embarrassed there.
    Should be 36/42.

That’s nothing, I once went out on my VFR750 (1st ride of the spring) and came back quite shaken having felt really unconfident in the corners and thought I’d lost my nerve. Rear tyre pressure was 4 PSI……

almightydutch
    Free Member

Ive not gone too low myself but have raced on a tyre that I hadn’t deflated to correct PSI….55 psi going round Mallory Park at stupid speeds was not fun, felt like ice

dufusdip
    Free Member

Bridgestone BT016 were really good on Fireblade and Zx6, rear wore too quickly but was impressed by using the BT023. The old BT014 wore oddly on the front and ended up feeling like a 50p across the profile but not had that on the later tyres.

Pirelli Corsas felt vague and wore terribly unevenly.

Part worn race tyres were great and good value when they used Rennsports or RaceTec but Dunslops that they now seem to use are terrible,false economy, and dont hold the heat well enough for commuting on the road.

But check your pressures at least weekly. The bike is really sensitive to them across uneven road surfaces and over-bandings and it will cost you in tyre wear. I’m surprised you got that sort of mileage out of them and didnt fall off – respect!

Stoner
    Free Member

I’m surprised you got that sort of mileage out of them and didnt fall off – respect!

cornering over the last few weeks has been touch ‘n’ go.

came back quite shaken having felt really unconfident in the corners and thought I’d lost my nerve

^ that 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

At one point I was doing 12,000 miles a year on my NC700X. I bought it at 8000 miles old, freshly serviced with new tyres. They were Michelin Pilot Road 2. Quite an old tyre these days but still perfectly fine if you can get them. I was doing 95% motorway miles and I got 12,000 miles out of the pair. The rear was pretty square but still easily legal when I got a puncture so replaced them as a pair. The NC owners forum love the newer Pilot Road 4, and I was talking about them to my tyre fitter. I have no doubt the 4s will do 16,000 miles under the same conditions. In use they feel almost identical to the 2s, stable and predictable right up until the pegs touch down in the dry and pretty exceptional in the wet. No movement at all at reasonable speeds.

NOTE: I’m a very smooth rider. If you’re throttle happy or lack clutch control you’re not going to do as well as I did.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Motorbike tyres’ is closed to new replies.