Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • motorbike-track – seized bolt
  • charliemort

Hi

The bolt used to adjust the chain (bolts into aluminium swingarm) has seized. I have poured loads of thread freeing up stuff in, and have got it movin a bit – I can screw it in but not far out enough to adjust the chain

I’m putting as much load on it as I dare with 10mm socket and rachet handle. Wondering if it may be bent

Any ideas on how to get it out?

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Put heat on it with a wee blowtorch (if you won’t damage any finish)
    Keep using the spray on it. Do it every 12 hours and let it soak in.

In the future put a little copper grease on the bolt so it comes out again. I know that doesn’t help you right now.

bounce

Now it’s moving, switch to WD40 as that’ll lube it better than PlusGas or whatever. Gentle working of the bolt should let it seep into the thread.

Whether or not it’s bent, better to take it out first rather than trying to screw it in any further so you can see if there’s any damage to the threads. Then decide if you need to run a tap into the alloy (careful!) or need a new bolt.

wwaswas

seems odd you can undo it a bit and then it jams?

does it go through the back of a plate and have a lock nut on the other side or something?

craigxxl
    Free Member

Do not use heat on an aluminium swingarm.

Look under the swingarm for the drain holes near the adjuster. If none there drill a small hole to allow the water out and big enough to get the straw of your favourite penetrating fluid in there so you spray the bolt from the inside. Don’t be shy with and don’t force the bolt other wise it will strip the threads in the swingarm.

charliemort

thanks all

wwaswas – it’s a KTM. bolt head just pushes back on adjusters that go round axle

craigxxl – will give that a bash if it’s not shifting tonight

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Brake fluid is very good if you mix it with penetrating oil – obviously you have to be careful – if that won’t do the trick you may have to “force” the issue which will probably destroy the thread and you may have to drill and tap it out and install a larger bolt – KTM swing arms are usually made from reasonable quality alloys so it will drill and tap out

charliemort

it’s moving – slowly……

I’ve got enough movement on it to allow for reasonable chain wear now, but would like to get it out and sorted / replaced.

will keep at it!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘motorbike-track – seized bolt’ is closed to new replies.