Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • motorbike riders not making progress
  • rocketman
    Free Member

Clear road is safer too

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjGXn249Fc0[/video]

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Have they stopped teaching motorcyclists to Make Progress? I had to over take a couple of groups sat behind slow moving traffic today.

IIRC it’s in a grey area between being taught and the test.

The instructors can’t tell/allow you to filter, but you can get a minor on the test if you don’t overtake when it’s safe and reasonable. So no, you’re not taught to do it.

My (second, actually failed the first test for not overtaking) examiner was in a car so I gave it the beans and left him for dead. Don’t think he can have seen much of me after the first mile!

failedengineer

I pottered a bit yesterday on the Tiger. Sometimes pottering is nice, sometimes not. I like to potter on a clear road, though, so that probably means passing a few cars. Some bikers view it as a duty to overtake every vehicle they come across. Actually, more than ‘some’, I guess.

mike_p
    Free Member

Have they stopped teaching motorcyclists to Make Progress?

I did direct access a couple of years ago and this never came up, either in training or in the test. In fact filtering didn’t even get a mention, rather surprising considering this was Enfield with its horrendous greater London traffic. Statistically the hardest place to get a pass apparently (which I did… just!)

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

“Making Progress” isn’t covered in the DSA test, as I guess it’s a pretty ambiguous statement. It is covered in the IAM test as an integral part of IPSGA and roadcraft. IAM well worth doing if you’re a motorcyclist.

johndoh
    Free Member

I was always told that 60mph was a maximum not a minimum speed!
    If a rider wants to go at 45, then whats the problem?

Conversely, you would be failed on your bike test if conditions we acceptable for travelling at 60…

Northwind

garage-dweller – Member

is it really not possible to engineer/leave fitted an exhaust that doesn’t cause quite so much interruption to other peoples enjoyment of the countryside?

That’s not an exhaust thing, it’s a “too many cylinders” thing, no idea why people put such loud exhausts on bikes that sound like a wasp trapped under a tin bath

martinhutch

Conversely, you would be failed on your bike test if conditions we acceptable for travelling at 60…

That, and the car test equivalent (I’ve heard stories of fails for driving at a moderate pace but not right up to the speed limit) are crazy IMO. I can understand that the examiner might want you to demonstrate that you can overtake safely on a bike, or keep up with traffic, but a default approach that assumes you’re a bad driver if you’re not going 55 in a 60 can’t be sensible.

kilo

Northwind – Member

That’s not an exhaust thing, it’s a “too many cylinders” thing, no idea why people put such loud exhausts on bikes that sound like a wasp trapped under a tin bath

The noisiest bikes around here tend to be v twins – Harleys ridden by blokes living out their Sons of Accountancy mid-life crisis

Cougar

a default approach that assumes you’re a bad driver if you’re not going 55 in a 60 can’t be sensible.

It’s not that you’re a bad driver per sé, rather that if you’re not travelling at or around the speed limit without good reason it could be indicative of a nervous / hesitant driver.

Part of the test has to include a section above 30mph precisely to demonstrate aptitude at higher speeds; if you could mince around the entire test at 20mph it’d render that part of the test pretty pointless.

I doubt you’d fail for doing “55 in a 60” as a one-off, but you’d almost certainly fail for consistently doing it. And rightly so, you’re demonstrably not ready to be out on the roads unrestricted.

johndoh
    Free Member

but a default approach that assumes you’re a bad driver if you’re not going 55 in a 60 can’t be sensible.

I don’t think it is a ‘default’ though – from how I understand the rules, if it is *safe* to travel at the speed limit and you are travelling significantly below it, then you could be failed. Conversely, if you took an entire stretch of road at 60 irrespective of parked cars/corners/small children’s’ faces just because it was a national speed limit stretch you would rightfully be failed…

A friend of mine failed his first bike test for stopping and putting his foot down at a roundabout when he should have simply given way (even though the car coming from his right wasn’t indicating and actually turned off at the exit before).

molgrips
    Free Member

I overtook a motorbike this morning. In my Passat.

zanelad
    Free Member

I often ride at the speed of traffic I’m in if I’ve been giving it some stick a little earlier on in the ride.

You can’t ride like a loon everywhere and expect to get away with it all of the time.

jackthedog
    Free Member

The op is right motorcyclists aren’t what they used to be

My dad’s motorcycle test consisted of riding round the block while a bloke stood at the side of the road with a clipboard. He then began his riding career on roads that were much quieter than they are today, in a time before every car had an interior comfier than the average living room and a touchscreen infotainment menu-fest glowing away in the middle of the dash, and before every driver had a mobile phone permanently welded to the side of their face.

Motorcyclists coming up through the ranks today are trained in far more depth than ever before, jumped through more hoops than ever before, have spent a hell of a lot more time and money getting there than ever before, and the environment in which they begin their riding careers is more inhospitable than it’s ever been.

No, riders aren’t what they used to be.

molgrips
    Free Member

Motorcyclists coming up through the ranks today are trained in far more depth than ever before, jumped through more hoops than ever before, have spent a hell of a lot more time and money getting there than ever before, and the environment in which they begin their riding careers is more inhospitable than it’s ever been.

Wish they’d do that with car drivers 🙁

Cougar

Wish they’d do that with car drivers

Make them take a bike test? So do I.

bails

some kind of two-wheeled experience (pedal and motor powered, separately, not one of those Belgian bikes…) would be good for drivers. But just as the motorbike test has got more expensive and more stringent, so has the car test.

I think there’d be a much bigger safety benefit from making drivers take an annual theory resit and a proper retest every 5 or 10 years than from making the one off test harder than it is now.

My old neighbour was given a driving licence in the army. He was told to drive a truck somewhere, told them he couldn’t drive, so they took out a paper licence, wrote his name on it and told him again to drive the truck. And that was it. He had another 70 years of driving and that was the total of his tuition/testing!

allthegear
    Free Member

Absolutely – drivers should have a regular MOT, just like their vehicles.

Rachel

cinnamon_girl

I’d find it strange too OP.

I mean normally they’re brrrrapppping, bap, bap, bap brarrrraping and riding 100mph along the A32 in Hampshire, like today.

Arshatz.

Come the revolution..

bikebuoy – I encountered an approx 40-strong midweek ride-out on that very road, they’d obviously just had their brekkie in the cafe at the x-roads and all pulled out in front of busy, moving traffic. They proceeded to drive in the most dangerous manner, overtaking then slamming on brakes cos they all needed a group hug. 😐 I was terrified, reported the incident to the Police and insisted on a crime number. Utter meatheads.

benp1

Motorbikes are awsumz 😀

It’s a bit of a shame making progress down a good road sometimes, as that good road usually is quite picturesque, but it’s such good fun

I’m afraid I like changing the exhaust on my bikes, I prefer the way they look and the way they sound, mine don’t really have any performance benefit at all

hammyuk
    Free Member

bikebouy – Member
    I’d find it strange too OP.

I mean normally they’re brrrrapppping, bap, bap, bap brarrrraping and riding 100mph along the A32 in Hampshire, like today.

Arshatz.

Come the revolution..

Wondered when you’d pop up and have your regular whinge as always.
    Don’t like it – there’s plenty of other places for you to ride 🙄

br
    Free Member

No, riders aren’t what they used to be.

Yes, but we also usually started on 50’s (the best of which did 50mph), then 250’s on which we passed our tests and then it depended on how rich you were. Most stayed on 250’s for a few years, or like myself went to 350LC’s and others went 4-stroke – but rare for anything bigger than a 500.

Now, it seems that folk think the ‘need’ at least a 600, if not a 1000 – better IMO to work your way up the power range.

cinnamon_girl

Do people cycle along the A32? 😯

bikebouy
    Free Member

No hammy doesn’t like me riding in the Hampshire Hills, where I live.

Typical Troll.

🙄

And boring as hell.

garage-dweller

Do people cycle along the A32?

I encounter a few cyclists along there but also do short stretches of it occasionally between off road bits myself as well as driving it pretty regularly. It’s one of those roads where a disproportionate number of people seem to take leave of their senses. I hate riding on it.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Troll?
    No bikebouy- just sick of the same shite you spout every time someone mentions motorbikes.
    You trot the same thing out every single time.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Braemar last week, everyone winding it up the second they passed the limit signs at the edge of the village as if they were going to set a lap record at the TT. Lovely.

Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘motorbike riders not making progress’ is closed to new replies.