Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • motorbike riders not making progress
  • nickc

Have they stopped teaching motorcyclists to Make Progress? I had to over take a couple of groups sat behind slow moving traffic today.

Odd experience. 😕

Edukator
    Free Member

You didn’t “have to” over take. 💡

craigxxl
    Free Member

Were the other bikers just riding with the flow of traffic and enjoying the weather? Echoing what Edukator says you don’t have to overtake just because you can.

nickc

Is true, but I didn’t want to sit at 45 in a 60 road particularly. Just weird overtaking motorcycles really, never had to do it before I don’t think

pondo

Not normally an issue, is it? But as long as they’re happy – we hired a scooter in Italy a couple of years ago and I’m damn sure the bikes that passed us would have said we weren’t making progress! Traffic was nose to tail and we were filtering, but way off local pace. 🙂

yosemitepaul

I was always told that 60mph was a maximum not a minimum speed!
    If a rider wants to go at 45, then whats the problem?

nickc

should’ve known… 🙄

There isn’t a problem…

I don’t think I’ve ever had to overtake motorcycles in my car before, because mostly they rarely sit behind people doing 40-45 on roads that are OK to overtake on…

It was odd, that’s all. Not wrong, just weird. and I wondered if the advice had changed.

falkirk-mark

They were making progress on the roads in Ayrshire today thought one of the clowns was going into the front of a van.

jekkyl

I overtook one on my bicycle yesterday… *swoon*
    (it was an older chap with a classic bike of sorts and was just twoddling along enjoying the weather)

Northwind

They were probably waiting their turn in the queue.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I don’t think he rides motorbikes does he?

anagallis_arvensis

I got overtaken by a tesnsit when out on my motorbike the other week!

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Did they flash you once you were past?

andcarson
    Free Member

I’m with you here Nickc. Never understood this myself. Why ride a motorbike unless you are going to take advantage of the filtering possibilities

Edukator
    Free Member

Did you wave your leg out of the window to say “thanks”? 8)

Cougar

Saw a few mincing along through Dunsop Bridge today. Can’t say as I blame ’em to be honest, it was painfully picturesque.

Northwind

Edukator – Reformed Troll

Did you wave your leg out of the window to say “thanks”?

😆

My hobby- giving motorbikes The Nod or The Wave while on the pushbike and getting them to respond. But not the Inexplicable Foot Waggle.

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP agreed a bit strange, 45 on an open road with a 60 limit. Possibly just a bunch of “dude riders” deciding no ovetaking today nothing to do with advice imo

Rubber_Buccaneer

I had to over take a couple of groups sat behind slow moving traffic today.

You are sure you didn’t overtake a funeral procession for an old biker?

alanl
    Free Member

You see this heading North into Matlock on a busy weekend – the traffic backs up at Cromford crossroads, there’s loads of room to get to the front, yet you see loads of bikes sat there amongst the cars.

nickc

Rubber, no they weren’t

It was 6-7 sports/sports tourers a couple with pillions, you know regular bunch of motorcyclists. Either lost, enjoying the view or waiting for some-one to catch up I guess. They didn’t come past me, (I only did 50-55 after I overtook them all)

as I said, was a weird experience overtaking bikes 😆

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’d find it strange too OP.

I mean normally they’re brrrrapppping, bap, bap, bap brarrrraping and riding 100mph along the A32 in Hampshire, like today.

Arshatz.

Come the revolution.. 😈

allthegear
    Free Member

I rode over to meet my goddaughter at Bewilderwood today and then back via the coast on the S1000XR. Very much a “sports” tourer bike but found myself happily sometimes just ablimg along with the traffic, it doesn’t *always* have to be at full throttle, you know…

(But when it is, omg that bike is good)

Rachel

Stoner
    Free Member

My only negative on my test was apparently a failure to wring the bike’s neck as I slipped onto the dual carriageway 🙂

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

I will sometimes ease off and enjoy the view when on the motorbike, but to the extent of being overtaken by a car???? The shame is only comparable to attaching stick on bunny ears or a Mohawk to your helmet.

oldtalent
    Free Member

+1
    Bikers seems to be a shameful bunch of dawdling knobbers these days. I always rode like the end of a bell, back in the day. Yes I am (or was) awesome.

drslow
    Free Member

Depends what you want, I rode up side of Loch Lomond this morning and had to slow down (on the empty road) to take in how beautiful it was, no rush. Way home, traffic was 8 mile queue so ‘made progress’ by riding 8 miles on other carriageway and cutting in occasionally. Ride how you want / conditions dictate. Motorbikes are awesome!

garage-dweller

I mean normally they’re brrrrapppping, bap, bap, bap brarrrraping and riding 100mph along the A32 in Hampshire, like today.

Yesterday seemed especially bad. We were riding the Meon Valley trail as a family and the noise was surprisingly intrusive. Leaving aside some of the highly questionable riding on the a32 is it really not possible to engineer/leave fitted an exhaust that doesn’t cause quite so much interruption to other peoples enjoyment of the countryside?

As for the OP I agree unusal but not unheard of.

br
    Free Member

Sunday riders?

I use to ride all-year round and use to find it quite scary when out with ‘Sunday’ riders, as they seemed to ride a bike like they were driving a car. And their levels of observation were shockingly bad.

weeksy

Leaving aside some of the highly questionable riding on the a32 is it really not possible to engineer/leave fitted an exhaust that doesn’t cause quite so much interruption to other peoples enjoyment of the countryside?

Of course it is possible, 90% of standard exhausts are pretty quiet, however a large majority of riders swap them for a race can because their 190bhp BMW S1000RR needs another 9bhp to use on the UK roads 🙂

I can be all holier than though with this as I run standard exhausts on both my motorbikes.

Drac

How dare you overtake, don’t you no one on STW overtakes as the speed limit isn’t a compulsory minimum.

br
    Free Member

I can be all holier than though with this as I run standard exhausts on both my motorbikes.

+1

Never saw the point of changing them, except when I was 17 y/o and had a set of race exhausts on my RD250E – but then I realised that I was more likely to get stopped than someone with standard exhausts, so didn’t waste my money again.

rocketman
    Free Member

The op is right motorcyclists aren’t what they used to be

Apart from being content to follow other traffic some of them even wait in queues 🙄

reformedfatty
    Free Member

I’ve been known to not make progress on my 125, either due to lack of sufficient go, or if I’m filtering and don’t like the look of something ahead. Sometimes other bikes will scoot through but when you see them stopped having run out of room in a blind spot between two trucks you realise sometimes it’s better to wait!

Not travelling above 60 does confuse some drivers though, as I have a full license, so no L plates and the bike is largish for a 125 so they don’t twig that there is just no more power available.

slowoldman

Way home, traffic was 8 mile queue so ‘made progress’ by riding 8 miles on other carriageway

The other carriageway?

drslow
    Free Member

only a dotted line separates them. Nothing too dodgy!

biglee1

If it was a group who were all together sometimes it’s just a pain trying to keep up as Barry bloody Sheene at the front has to overtake everything and so other riders sometimes do dodgy overtakes to keep up. It`s just a bit harder getting a group to make progress tidily than a single or pair of riders 😀

mattsccm
    Free Member

Pottering is nice. Much more fun than giving it welly.

allthegear
    Free Member

Pottering is nice. Much more fun than giving it welly.

hence me buying the XR – get it out of my system. Not sure it’s working, mind…

Rachel

charliemort

It’s seems a bit weird to me

Sometimes I am happy to pootle along but not with a row of cars in front of me obscuring the view! I’ll blat past then pootle. Clear road is safer too

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘motorbike riders not making progress’ is closed to new replies.