Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • Motorbike riders ever think it's time to call it a day.
  • project
    Free Member

as a van driver and a road cycling cyclist, motorbikes and some of the idiots who ride/race them are just a drain on the nhs, like the two that passed me tonight on a dirt track road, totally illegal no helmets and just t shirts.

Excessive acceleration causes the riders to either loose control or other motorists and pedestrians not to see them as if they where obeying the speed limits, thus the need for hi viz and engine speed governors to reduce their aceleration , a tax on their insurance would also help refund the nhs for all their serious rtc,s.

Its all rather quite simple really.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I have the same issue with car an van drivers too.

Asshats in all walks of life im afraid.

Anyway – you think the folk tht passedylu were motorcyclists or some kids who owned/stole a motorbike ?

garage-dweller

project you could replace the word motorcyclists with van drivers in your post and it would substantially still hold true.

The way some of the more powerful modern vans are driven is every bit as bad as crap motorcyclists behaviour. 3.5tonne higher centre of gravity barge with suspension geared up for load lugging being driven 6 feet from the car in front, hammered round corners at the limits of the tyres … Of course not all van drivers or motorcyclists behave like pillocks…

You can apply this with variations to just about every type of road user (car, van, hgv, bicycle, mobility scooter) – in fact this is precisely the tar them all with one brush nonsense that very badly affects cyclists.

The issue is not the vehicle it is the user.

If you make the vehicle safer (actually slower) then by their nature the risk takers will fill that reduction in risk with taking elevated risks in other ways (smaller gaps, slow down less for corners, brake later) and before you know it the death rate will be back up.

peajay

Gave it up in 2002, had a Fazer600, speed just gradually increased over time and spent most of the time overtaking cars, was just a matter of time till it went wrong, plus had a young family at the time. A monopoly type get out of hospital free card would have been nice! Still get the urge once the weather improves in the spring especially now with pcp deals making bikes affordable, then we get the usual brace of bikers getting wiped out the roads and it makes me reassess things and ask is it really worth the ultimate price? In saying that when it’s good it’s flipping marvellous!

benmotogp46
    Free Member

My Ducati has been sat idle for around 5 years now. At first it was because I invested most of my time and money into MTB and with the belts needing doing, it just ended up being sat there. Up until that point, I had been riding non-stop from the age of 16 – 25.

Another reason is the accidents and fatal rates which have been a major factor in my reluctance to return to the road.

I will however be getting the bike ready for a trip to Almeria next year and will probably keep the bike for track use only with the possibility of a return to the road one day….

bullheart
    Free Member

Had a big off on the A64 a long time ago, and decided that being that vulnerable was no longer a choice I wanted to make. That old adage about ‘it not being about you, but about the other folk on the roads’ is partially true, but my desire to ride fast outmatched my ability on a bike, and that is entirely the wrong equation to live your life by…

bazzer
    Free Member

I gave up for about 5 years then returned to bikes about 5years ago.

However would not be interested in commuting everyday on a bike.

So I pretty much just do trackdays and a big Euro/Alps tour each year. I probably do a couple of hundred miles on UK roads a year and about 3000 on holiday.

Off to Spain on Wednesday for 4days on Almeria circuit and then riding back home via Santandar. I have a track bike but this time the road bike is being shipped down and we decided to ride back.

But before I gave up I remember being out for a ride (on an R6 at the time) thinking why am I doing this, roads are too busy covered in potholes and the temptation to do something that could lose my license or worse.

So I would not want to be without a bike now, but happy to limit its use a bit.

smokey_jo

Just returned to motorbikes after a 10 year sabbatical. I used to commute on the M6 daily and it put me off when the generator failed and the engine cut out in the fast lane during rush hour. My commute now is 6 miles direct or (12 if it’s a dry morning) and I live on the border of the dales so I just bought a KTM Duke 390 for weekend fun. You can have a lot of fun with 40hp.

I’d never use one for motorway commuting again though

redstripe
    Free Member

Read above with interest, I’d ridden regularly for 25 years mainly trail bikes and occasional 100 mile commuting when working on London on a Pan European. 5 years ago for the first and only time I got wiped out 2 minutes from my house, crawling along when a tractor came around the corner on my side of the road with it’s loading forks down. Bike took the brunt of it, I had all the gear on but it did still really hurt. That coupled with the fact that I wasn’t really enjoying it any more with so many dinlos/old retired people where I live on the road meant I gave up. Ferrying kids about and carrying stuff for work as well meant no time and not practical. It wasn’t a conscious decision, just kind of happened. Then 2 of my kids did their CBT’s and started riding scooters/small trail bikes for getting to their jobs/college etc. I used their bikes occasionally for a bit of fun on local trips and it’s been fine for just that once in a while. In fact it’s kind of re-kindled my love of biking and I forgot you could have so much fun on little bikes. I don’t think I’d go back to big bikes/commuting again though. Mind you, once it’s in your blood, every time I go down Poole Quay on a summer Tuesday night I do start getting all wanty. Winter’s coming so I guess that urge will die down for a bit

sobriety
    Free Member

Kayla’s post made me chuckle, as I’ve gone the other way. Gotten pissed off with the proliferation of ‘standards’ and the price of mtb stuff, and not helped by the fact that I now live somewhere that I can’t ride mtb from my doorstep (I’ve never got the whole drving for an hour to ride bicycles because, well, I never had to), my mountainbikes are gathering dust in the basement, and my garage is slowly filling up with old small capacity 2-strokes.

The motorbikes are for fun, and working on them is part of that, they’re old (the newest one is 20 next year), parts are reasonably cheap, they won’t magically become obsolete (because they already are), the quickest one is fast up tp about 60-70mph and will run out off puff at about 95-100, which is more than enough for me, as I ride like an old lady anyways!

rocketman
    Free Member

Nope have been riding since 1978 and never thought about packing it in

Take it easy never commit 100% to anything and always have a plan B, C and preferably D

metalheart
    Free Member

As I did 293.3 miles yesterday (mainly on back country roads in North/East Scotland) I suspect I’m one of the people some of you cagers are wringing about…. 😆 people’s perception of risk vary (no way I’d ride big drops, proper downhill, road gaps, etc., but blasting about on a bike, overtaking at speed, etc. I’m fine with).

I gave up motorcycling 28 years ago after a self inflicted, no other vehicle involved off at speed resulting in hospitalisation, surgery, stitches and some plasterwork. I was lucky though as despite what I just typed the damage was mainly superficial and I was back to work within two, three weeks. At the time I thought nobody is that lucky twice, best give it up.

Then a couple years ago I got an idea that burrowed deep into my skull: pass your test, get a bike. So I did.

Yes it’s dangerous, yes there are complete **** out there (on all types of vehicle and on foot). My view of it is you (literally and metaphorically) never know what’s around the corner (see About Jenn) so if you enjoy it, go for it. I know a couple people who have had heart attacks whilst cycling (pimp)messiah formally of these parts being one of them. Now I’d have thought I was more high risk than Brian, do I give up because I *might* be next?

My rationalisation is that I’d rather live a little before I die and if the result if me being wiped out (by my own exuberance or someone else’s stupidity) then that’s better than a poor old woman I saw some years back in an OP/nursing home: sat/laying in a chair head back, mouth open, towel on shoulder, plate of soup on table, half filled syringe resting on towel…

The rules as I’ve learned on the bike is ride defensively, keep constantly aware, be prepared for evasive action at all times, stick to all numbered speed limits, stick below 90 (get ticketed rather than automatically banned) and try not to be an arse (you can hustle on the roads but don’t bully). And remember, chances are you are going to come off worst.

alansd1980

Its typical that this mornings ride in was the best in weeks!

I had been planning on trying the cycle train option but because I know the motorbike is there it is the most convenient option and save 20 minutes in the morning.

I appreciate a lot of you saying that you can go out and do several hundred miles on quiet country roads with little or no drama but my problem is that I am never using it for that. Its a monday to friday slog through rush hour traffic. The other comments about having to live your life and risk being everywhere, well I do agree with that but when you have young children there is a balancing act of managing that risk and living your life, at the moment I am not sure where the tipping point for me is. I am also getting that urge for a bigger bike that a few of you mentioned so I am a bit wary of controling the right hand if I have more power!

I think if I decide to continue I will do my full licence for that extra training.

Going to try and week or two on the train to see if it is practical and decide from there.

br
    Free Member

I just lost the mojo and mountain bikes took over the same space in my life, so it became a method of transport, then I got a car for bike hauling.

Kinda, except I didn’t lose my mojo but once I was only commuting then when I didn’t need a bike for commuting, I didn’t need a bike.

I use to commute +90 miles per day in all weathers (into London, so only lost a few days with ice), and then we moved to Scotland 3 years ago and my commutes are now 10 miles on country roads with no traffic at all – so a bike is not needed.

If I had to commute again, say into Edinburgh, I’d have another bike straight away.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I gave up shortly after I got my first 50cc. Have had periodic urges ever since but something in the back of my head tells me that I’m already so vulnerable on a bicycle that having the extra speed and weight of a motorcycle would put me at increased risk. There are so many careless drivers these days that the endless pre-empting and second-guessing isn’t fun for me.

As a driver I also somewhat lazily group motorcyclists into two categories:

A. Those who stay back until it’s safe to overtake.
    B. Those who accelerate up to my nearside brake-light and stick there like a testosterone-addled mosquito until blatting past to continue their ongoing TT fantasy scenario. Rinse and repeat until the inevitable happens.

Like I say, it’s a lazy generalisation but I see plenty of both.

yosemitepaul

Ridden bikes for decades. All round the U.K. and Europe. Trained by the job to advanced level and beyond. Retired now.
    Have seen loads of collisions loads of injuries; and unfortunately quite a few riders who just didn’t make it.
    However I always enjoyed my own bike and riding.
    Then, earlier this year, took my BM out for a run and I just didn’t enjoy it. For the first time I felt I wasn’t as good as I once was and felt a spark had gone out of my riding.
    That sowed the seed in my own mind. I thought back to some of those who I’d seen who had come off and the subsequent problems it had caused either them or their families.
    Within a couple of months a very nice shiny big BM and all its gear had gone. I’m finished with it.
    Do I now regret it? No I don’t think so, I felt vulnerable, I knew my best days were over. I spent the money on a new road bike and camera, and enjoy my days just as much and perhaps with a little bit more of a chance of coming home intact.

Northwind

Malvern Rider – Member

A. Those who stay back until it’s safe to overtake.
    B. Those who accelerate up to my nearside brake-light and stick there like a testosterone-addled mosquito until blatting past to continue their ongoing TT fantasy scenario. Rinse and repeat until the inevitable happens.

And the real irony is, it’s much harder to overtake from position B.

footflaps

I gave up purely as I didn’t have enough time to split between bikes and motorbikes, so sold the GSer.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I passed my bike test at 18. Rode bikes for many years since, didn’t own a car until I was 30 and that was for the wife and kids.
    Sold my bike about 6 years ago to finance a VW camper project with new wife and missed the bike straight away.
    It was a couple of years until I could afford another but when I did, I hated it. Similar bike to what I had owned previously so it wasn’t the wrong bike, it was the roads and weight of traffic that seemed to have increased so much it just took the enjoyment away. There is no longer an ‘open road’ as far as my experience went. I guess the traffic had increased gradually for years but the 2 year break really made it an obvious increase.
    So, I sold my last bike, bought the missus a 5 Spot. Pedal power only from then on.
    I still get badgered by mates to get another but I am just no longer interested.
    Most motorcycle riders that I see around nowadays just ride to the cafe anyway.

philjunior
    Free Member

I’d like a bike but I think the only way I’d trust myself would be if I used it day in, day out. I like cycling so I don’t have time for that. Maybe when I get too old to propel myself!

Money and safety worries play their part too, I suspect to get what I’d want to get out of motorcycling I’d need to do a lot of track days of take huge risks (which I don’t want to do, having a family etc.)

shifter
    Free Member

C. Straight past.

No-one sits on a nearside brake light, offside maybe.

thorlz
    Free Member

I decided to call it a day about 4 years ago.
    Like others here I rode from bikes from about 20 years old and rode all weathers for many a year. Never passed my car test until I was 32 and only bought one 3 years later (would pinch the other halfs occasionally).

4 years ago, at 36 and after 16 years of riding I decided it was enough for a few reasons

1) I wanted to get back into mtb and couldn’t justify 2 expensive hobbies
    2) I was going too fast. 30-50 zones I rode strictly to the limit, national speed limit was far game for me. If I was caught it would be a long ban and with having a young lad by then I enjoyed the car for days out. I didn’t want to lose my license.

I was never concerned with the dangers, I took that as part of riding bikes, everyone crashes eventually, some get lucky others don’t. Part of the game.

I still love bikes but I don’t really miss riding them (I thought I would).
    The only time I do when the TT is on, which is the best time not to ride really, that would end badly.

The biggest difference on the roads from when I first rode to now, is in my opion not the volume of traffic but mobile phones. The roads are full of a staggering number of twunts talking on them or looking at them. No amount of defensive riding can proctect you from them idiots ( a real pet hate of mine – arsehole, all of them).

So there you are, long post but yes, for me it was time to call it a day, or maybe just a rest, time will tell.

anagallis_arvensis

I still ride. A 1978 gl1000. I’m happy doing 60mph on an a road on this big heavy naked bike. Can pick over takes if cars are trundling along slowly. The bike doesnt make me feel like I need to rush.

tomaso
    Free Member

Not got a working bike since sold it to buy a campervan 3 years ago. I’ve got a project buried like Northwind’s in the garage but no interest.

I miss the speed, the thrill and ring ding of a 250 two stroke and the revs of a supersport bike. But then I remember the sound of silence before the noise of sliding down the road or going into the front wing of a car.

Not selling the boots helmet and leathers just yet but no hurry to get out on a bike. Closest I’ve come is walking into a hire bike shop in Marrakech at Easter and looking longingly at an XT600…

allthegear
    Free Member

I suppose I’m at the other end of the cycle; having bought a GS last June and just got the 18000 mile service indicator show up…

Trips up North, to Hungary and to Barcelona (from where I’m currently returning) have kept me amused. It’s a GS that’s actually seen a good few kilometres of dirt track, too!

Rachel

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

No-one sits on a nearside brake light, offside maybe.

Offside! Thnks

(NB: I also point left when I mean right – would make an entertaining driving instructor) 😳

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

My rationalisation is that I’d rather live a little before I die and if the result if me being wiped out (by my own exuberance or someone else’s stupidity) then that’s better than a poor old woman I saw some years back in an OP/nursing home: sat/laying in a chair head back

Reaching an old age does not automatically preclude ‘living a little’ when you are younger. The ‘poor old woman’ you mentioned (I have it on good authority) was a famed tiger-wrestler in her youth and went on to perform as a ‘human-cannonball’ under the assumed pseudonym ‘Ethel Kneiffel’, only quitting at 57yrs on account of ‘the fear’*. She wrote her memoirs at 84yrs of age before becoming a heroin addict which was probably around the time you encountered her.

And to think – she could have instead ‘lived a little’ by successfully overtaking an aggressive young man in an Audi on an adverse camber, only to then be taken down by Maureen (in a Mini) who exited a side road whilst looking at her mobile phone. Ensuring they both drink through straws for the rest of their days (and well before old age).

🙁

*In reality her name was Helge Schock, she defected from the Nazis and worked undercover for the resistance. Helga personally engineered complex escape routes allowing 176 Jews to escape from Berlin, many of them children. In later life she fostered troubled children and took them on holday every year.

kayla1
    Free Member

philjunior- there’s much less risk in riding on track (trackdays or racing) than there is in riding on the road. There’s never anything coming the other way, no farmers trailing shite all over the place, no boy racers, no mindless pedestrians zombie shuffling their way to Asda, no diesel spills… You get the occasional ‘all the gear, no idea’ nobber who thinks they’re fast cos they’re on a <insert name of latest hot-poop superbike here> but that’s also true of lots of sports/pastimes!

Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Motorbike riders ever think it's time to call it a day.’ is closed to new replies.