Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • motorbike Q
  • slowoldgit
    Free Member

So driving my small boring family saloon and a motorbike catches up with me, I’ll ease over towards the left side. I assume this gives the rider a better view of the road and any bad patches, and the traffic ahead, and easier route to get by.

Often I get a wave.

Is there anything else I sould know?

posiwev
    Free Member

As a motorcyclist you couldn’t really ask for more than that, when anyone obviously moves over to give me room I always acknowledge and likewise when I’m in the car I move over and appreciate the motorcyclist’s acknowledgment.
    More noticeable on the continent where the majority of drivers appear to move over, where over here it appears to be the minority and then you get the cretins that try and block the route.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

I hate the blockers – trying to “police” the roads by stopping you passing on a corner (where there is a clear view ahead). Particularly prevalent in the Lake District in Summer when the blocker is travelling at a massive 20mph!

grim168
    Free Member

Don’t move over too far as you start kicking all sorts of crap up from the gutter. I always wave a thanks. The ones that try to block I pass s close as poss. 👿

Rockhopper
    Free Member

I sooner the car driver just stay where they are and concentrate on their driving and let me decide when to overtake but if they insist on moving over I always give them a wave as I go past (generally only in queues though).

simon_g

It’s nice to do in slow traffic to keep things moving.

I get a little unnerved when people dive for the gutter on NSL roads despite a load of traffic coming the other way. Nice that you’ve seen me, but I’m not going to squeeze between you and oncoming traffic, and when it’s clear I can easily get past anyway.

br
    Free Member

Happy for you to do it as I can then see you’ve seen me, but just make sure you don’t pick up a puncture through running into crap in the gutter.

And I wave too.

mark90
    Free Member

As a currently ex-biker, on NSL roads I’ll pull over a little bit but not right in to the gutter, not really expecting the bike to squeeze through with oncoming traffic unless a partucularly wide road, but mostly to show I’ve seen them. In slow traffic then pull over enough to allow filtering.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Bumping along in the gutter, the gravel and the dead cats is not part of the plan. Thanks each.

fourbanger
    Free Member

I personally wouldn’t unless the traffic is crawling. When I overtake on my bike, it’s when I think it’s safe to overtake. A pavement that jutts out would see you sideswipe me to avoid it. I’m normally happiest if the driver makes eye contact in the mirror, so I know they know I’m there.

amplebrew

I’ll always wave to say thanks to a driver when I’m on my motorbike.

Similary I’ll always give a car driver a wave when I’m on my push bike if they’ve hung back to give me loads of space before overtaking.

It’s nice to show your appreciation and quite often the driver or passenger will wave back.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘motorbike Q’ is closed to new replies.