Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 204 total)
  • motorbike (mk2 – vintage, small) – should I?
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

Still thinking about this but last thread focussed on bigger bikes than I want – what’s a useable, safe-ish, not fast motorbike from 60-70s for short trips in /near town…prefer something with flair (Euro) or Jap (and def not Brit)?

I don’t want to get a big bike cos it’ll be too fast and I’ll kill myself…thinking 125-250.

I saw a nice 75 1960s Duke on the last thread…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Nothing meets the criteria apart from maybe a MZ 250. Those small bikes are simply not usable safely in modern traffic, too slow, rubbish brakes and handling. Expensive and no spares available.

druidh
    Free Member

Avoid early Ducatis like the plague – same goes for anything else Italian. Electrics are absolutely vile and you’ll spend more time fettling it than riding it.

cynic-al
    Free Member

If I’m only in town or on quiet roads do I need the speed?

What’s the closest alternative…something bigger from the same era?

Moses

Or an ancient Honda 125,as seen throughout the world. You can even buy more modern ones!

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

What about an old Kawasaki KH ?

druidh
    Free Member

If you can find a Honda CG125, that would be ideal. 4-stroke, great fuel economy, reliable. They were launched in 1976. I used to load mine up with tent and stuff and go camping trips into the Highlands.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

should I?

Yes you most definitely should. Motorbikes are hawt. Can i bagsy first backie? 🙂

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

A Honda Cub, as used throughout Asia, or maybe an old Velocette, as used nowhere.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Avoid early Ducatis like the plague – same goes for anything else Italian. Electrics are absolutely vile and you’ll spend more time fettling it than riding it.

I’m not sure that’s fair. Avoid all but the newest Ducatis (see above), but for truly old stuff they’ll all be a nightmare so you’re back to a level playing field. Older stuff has simple electrics which helps as long as you’re comfortable replacing the lot anything should be OK.

How about a Honda CD Benly (various versions and capacities)?

The main thing to check on anything you fancy is the availability of parts.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Or this small-engined moped

But realistically, what about the old Super Dream 250?

5thElefant
    Free Member

Actually… a CD90 might be ideal.

Like this one on ebay…

Modern versions of the engines are still being made, including Chinese copies, so parts are cheap and plentiful. For £100 you could slot in a new engine. For a bit more you could have a new 140cc engine.

cynic-al
    Free Member
    bazzer
    Free Member

Aren’t most of the above going to fall apart if used all year round in our British weather ?

I reckon most would become tiresome as everyday transport.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Thanks all….this sort of thing might fit the bill?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1975-HONDA-CB-125-GREEN-/330582506765?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item4cf840bd0d

Oh that looks ideal, in fact the first owner of that stood on the brake when he rode it out of the shop, It should have just about stopped by now.

flange
    Free Member

I’d not touch a Ducati, new or old if it were free. My mates 1198 has just been taken back to the shop after it lost all its electrics and tried to highside him on a round-about. And then there’s the parts prices….

Any old bike is going to require a fair bit of spannering. My money would be on the SuperDream – its honda so it won’t break, parts will be cheap and you can make them look pretty cool. Theres a fair few flat track ones about which look mint.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Thanks all….this sort of thing might fit the bill?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1975-HONDA-CB-125-GREEN-/330582506765?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item4cf840bd0d
    Yes, that’s ideal.

Again, that engine is still in production by the Chinese so you could get a new Chinese engine for the price of an OEM piston.

bazzer
    Free Member

A CB125 is one of the most terrifying bikes I have ridden in modern times. I know I have been spoilt by decent disk brakes. The CB125 I rode had practically no brakes. My mountain bike has better brakes.

5thElefant
    Free Member

That’s true of all 60s/70s bikes. And 80s…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

It will be shit and dangerous. Rubbish brakes, slow, rubbish handling, ancient tyres

cynic-al
    Free Member

Hmmmm a spectrum of opinions as ever!

It’d be good-weather use only for short trips, nothing fast needed, but safety and brakes are obviously a concern.

Any good noo8-friendly motorbike forums out there?

5thElefant
    Free Member

If you want brakes that work you need to forget 60s/70s stuff. You can of course fit modern stuff. A complete front end swap is easy with a bit of research.

A modern retro styled bike will be easier and cheaper though.

epicyclo

I saw a nice 75 1960s Duke on the last thread…

No such thing, except as a wall ornament. You really don’t want the hassle of actually using it for commuting. Nice bike though. 🙂

As many others have said it is hard to beat the small Honda for reliability.

My opinion is many small motorbikes are more dangerous than big ones. Areas like suspension and braking are built down to the price point.

I’d look at at least a 250 aircooled 4 stroke. Sufficient acceleration to keep ahead of the lads in their penis substitute cars, and light on tyres, chains etc. Also light enough to crash cheaply – don’t usually bend much.

(Big bikes are less economical than small cars when you add up all the ownership costs although loads more fun)

RustySpanner

If you’ve only ridden modern bikes, an old one will come as a bit of a shock – they really, apart from the odd one, weren’t very good, even when new.

If you’re used to old bikes or haven’t ridden at all, then go for it!

If you must have an old one, something like an MZ would be quirky, easy to fix and great fun, as would a Honda CB250RS.

An older trail bike would be great fun, but prices are rising and spares can be hard to find.

In your situation, I’d go for a more modern trail bike, something like a Yamaha 225 Serow or a Suzuki DR350/400 – great bikes that can also do some proper off roading.

5thElefant
    Free Member

I’d look at at least a 250 aircooled 4 stroke. Sufficient acceleration to keep ahead of the lads in their penis

Are you sure? My CB250 Superdream wasn’t up to much in the 80s. 80mph flat out, 0-60 took forever. It wouldn’t even wheelie. I doubt it could outdrag the slowest of cars these days. I guess it was faster than a 4 stroke 125 but it was slower than a 2 stroke 125. By a lot.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Why do you want vintage?

epicyclo

5thElefant – Member
    ” I’d look at at least a 250 aircooled 4 stroke. Sufficient acceleration to keep ahead of the lads in their penis”
    Are you sure? My CB250 Superdream wasn’t up to much in the 80s…

Fair point. Should make it clear I was meaning about urban use.

My experience of the small Hondas was in Oz – I think your bikes here were restricted for learners etc.

But I’m still sure they would beat just about any car in a traffic light derby.

cynic-al
    Free Member

OK just to recap:

It’s not for commuting.
    It’s not for offroad.
    It’s for the odd good-weather trip in town or <50 miles on B-roads.
    I don’t want something fast* as I really do think I might kill myself, though 50cc would be too wee.
    I’ve never riddden a motorbike before.
    I want Vintage because of * above, fun & character – but safety is important too.
    I’d rather have an “honest” bike than a retro-styled one – if the best thing is a recent 125/250 then that might be it.

5thElefant
    Free Member

250s weren’t restricted. The Superdream was a particular slug though. It was built to mimic a 750 but without the power. The 250RS would be as you described.

druidh
    Free Member

The OP wants something for using in and around town, where the average speed of a car is less than 15mph. The fact that an old Japanese 125 wouldn’t break 70mph is somewhat irrelevant.

LoCo
    Free Member

Get an eighties single cylinder, like say an Yamaha SRX 250, 400 or 600cc (if you fancy a bit more umphf) or similar as they’ll have decent brakes be reasonable speedy (enough to keep up with traffic with out ragging it) and be reasonably economical and look lovely too as well as not needing to be fettled on a regular basis, classic are great but time consuming which’ll mean les time on your pedal cycles 😉

hels
    Free Member

If I pass my Big Girls licence this year can flog you my 125. One careful lady owner… Serviced regularly and I even clean it.

They hold their value well so you won’t lose a lot, and the only advice I can add to this thread is that motorbikering isn’t for everybody. Don’t lay down loads of cash until you are sure.

Every time I get on my wee bike, even just to get to work, I reflect on how awesometastic and legend motorbikes are.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You need to listen to the advice. Small old bikes are really shit. Bigger bikes are no more dangerous.

Old Euro stuff was not imported into the UK so the spares and dealer backup will not be available.

Want a vintage bike then a BSA bantam is a good starting point. Available, cheap. spares and expertise available. No small vintage bike will be at all practicable or safe.

Old jap stuff is around but expensive and spares can be a real issue apart from stuff like the CG.

Just want the style – get a retro

cynic-al
    Free Member

**** me I am SOLD!

http://www.classicmotorcycles.org.uk/classicbikes/cb_honda_cb250rs.htm

Hmmm can anyone fill me in on tests etc? TJ said £500, is that about right?

5thElefant
    Free Member

If you want decent brakes and suspension you can either buy a vintage bike and upgrade it. That’s more than fine if you want to do that, but a modern bike will be cheaper (probably) and less hassle (certainly).

There are degrees of retro. There are many traditional looking bikes that have looked more or less the same since the 80s as well as newly produced models made to look like something out of the 70s.

The Yamaha SRX is a good example of a modern(ish) bike in traditional form. Various capacities were made.

epicsteve
    Free Member

My CB250 Superdream wasn’t up to much in the 80s. 80mph flat out, 0-60 took forever. It wouldn’t even wheelie. I doubt it could outdrag the slowest of cars these days. I guess it was faster than a 4 stroke 125 but it was slower than a 2 stroke 125. By a lot.

I had a pre-resriction CB125TB (16bhp) and that could keep up with Superdream 250’s no problem and my deristricted AR125LC was definitely quicker.

Like other posters have said I’d also suggest moving up to at least the 80’s if you’re looking for something that’s reasonably practical. I’d also agree that moving up to 400 or 500cc would also be worthwhile. The 250 Superdream wasn’t a good bike but the 400cc version was better. The single-cylinder CB250RS was a good bike but it might be difficult finding a decent one now as they tended to be used as workhorses.

I’d suggest something like a Hond 400-4, a Kawasaki Z400J or even a Honda XBR500 like mine.

5thElefant
    Free Member

**** me I am SOLD!

http://www.classicmotorcycles.org.uk/classicbikes/cb_honda_cb250rs.htm

Hmmm can anyone fill me in on tests etc? TJ said £500, is that about right?

You could do worse.

My lad did a weekend training course type thing with a test at the end (4 years ago). That was £500 I think.

flange
    Free Member

My ex has a new Guzzi V7 classic – stood next to a 1979 version of the same bike its nigh on identical, but with fuel injection, better brakes and stuff. Like this

It still breaks down on a regular basis like a proper Guzzi too…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

cb250 RS is a good bike. its not vintage, its not euro and its not small – still fits your criteria eh?

epicyclo

Then I think you’re looking for a Suzuki Goose.

pic from suzukigoose.co.uk

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 204 total)

The topic ‘motorbike (mk2 – vintage, small) – should I?’ is closed to new replies.