Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Motorbike helmet replacement
  • cat69uk
    Free Member

Have not had a motorbike for 7 years, dreaming of getting one again. Quick question, have a pretty top end Arai, which is probably 13 years old, can’t quite remember when I bought it. Has been safely in its bag unused for the last 7, ok to use or not?

cat69uk
    Free Member

Looks like 5 years, oh well.

CheesybeanZ

I seem to remember it 5 yrs , should be a manufacturers date on the d buckle .

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    failedengineer

There were some test on ‘old’ helmets a few years ago, can’t remember where. I seem to remember that helmets way past their ‘Best by’ date were perfectly OK. FWIW, I’ve got two helmets, one of which is an Arai about 12 years old and the other a 3 year old Shoei. I tend to use whichever one I see first in the Garage. The Shoei is quieter, the Arai is comfier.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

If its been used a lot then five years is a good guideline, the lining compresses which makes the fit a bit looser which is not what you want. If its been stored in the dark and dry for a while I don’t think I’d worry too much.

chrissyboy
    Free Member

I think 5 years is about right provided it’s been used – just replaced my 6 year old Shoei and the newer one definitely feels better and a bit more snug.

If it’s been sitting in the dark unused then I wouldn’t worry about it.

However if you’re going to be back into bikes seriously then you should get a new one, if only because they’re supposed to be safer (sharp rating) and certainly are quieter, better vented, lighter, etc.

br
    Free Member

I wouldn’t.

FWIW When I was doing a lot of miles I’d buy a new helmet per year, and concentrate on fit (and the gold badge) – usually looked at last year’ colours etc.

One ‘issue’ with buying very expensive helmets is that folk don’t replace them often enough and/or after minor bumps etc. As they paid so much.

Oh, and always get your haircut before going to try some on.

craigxxl
    Free Member

I thought the reason for replacing helmets every 5 years was the foam deteriorated over time.
    For the cost of the helmet and the new stronger yet lighter materials, better air flow and linings used even in budget helmets now I would get a new one.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Helmets only deteriorate with use or exposure to daylight. If it’s been stored in a bag in a cupboard it’s be fine.
    I’ve always done a fair amount of miles (12,500 last year) on bikes and mine last around 5-6 years before I can tell they’re getting baggy, the straps and the lining wear too. I buy a decent mid range Shoei, usually last years in a sale, for £200-£300. There no point going for a top of the range lid, they don’t last any longer. I bought a new Shoei Qwest a couple of months ago: £270. (Plain ones are cheaper) The Qwest is the “touring” lid but it’s no heavier than the top of the range and tests say its quieter. It is very quiet too.

footflaps

I have a 10 year old lid in a cupboard (kept in the dark in a bag) and when I took it out last year to use for go-karting, the foam had started to moult, it left tiny bits of foam all over my head. Was quite surprised as I thought being boxed away it wouldn’t deteriorate.

cat69uk
    Free Member

Thanks all. It looks brand new, it is a snug fit and all padding is perfect. Hardly been used really. Anyway off to look at MCN and spend money with my eyes!

failedengineer

I’ll second the Shoei Qwest (yes, it is spelled like that). Good quality helmet for a good price.

5thElefant
    Free Member

I remeber the tests that showed that they don’t age too. If you’ve left it in a window it might be different. I still use a 15 year old arai. I’d not wear one if I had the option though…

br
    Free Member

tbh I use to buy mine at whichever bike show (either Ally Pally or the NEC) I went to. Loads to choose from and they’d always do a deal.

biglee1

If you’re buying a bike from a dealer get them to chuck a helmet etc in with the deal 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Motorbike helmet replacement’ is closed to new replies.