Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Motorbike – DAS and learning to ride
  • MrGrim

Completed the CBT a couple of weeks ago and want to move onto Direct Access, but i’m very new to the world of motorbiking so was going to hire a 125cc bike from my local school a few times to get my confidence up. However, a friend of a friend has a 2005 Honda CBR 125 with a load of work done to it and a fresh MOT for about £600 which seems cheap. I was thinking about buying this, running it for 2-3 months then selling hopefully without too much of a loss. It will give me the freedom to ride when I want rather than having to book a hire bike and travel (15 miles) each time to get it. The downsides are having to pay for insurance etc.

Anyone done anything similar? Any advice?

allthegear
    Free Member

I wouldn’t bother, to be honest. Once you get on a 600 for the DAS, you’ll realise how much easier they are to ride and will not look back.

I booked one extra day’s hire on the 125 before the 600 lessons, that’s all. Just for confidence. Probably didn’t need it, looking back.

Rachel

itstartedwithakona
    Free Member

I learned to ride a motorbike last year and would agree with ATG that there’s no point in getting a temporary 125.

You’ll be using 600s for your lessons and test anyway, and once you’ve passed you won’t want to be on a 125.

MrGrim

Thanks for the replies, you both talk sense. The local place does half day hire for £40 so i’ll try that first and see how I get on. I can then either book more time or just take my first Mod 1 lesson.

lmcol
    Free Member

It depends. If you already drive, then you won’t get much benefit from riding a 125. They’re mostly useful for getting complete novices up to speed with general road use. As above, a DAS “proper” bike rides completely differently so you might as well just go for the proper training.

lmcol
    Free Member

Oops, double post

MrGrim

Thanks lmcol. I’ve got a full car license and have been driving for 16 years, so happy that I understand most road rules. The main things I need to brush up on are bike specific like road positioning, gear changes, mirror checks and life savers.

poolman
    Free Member

I hired a 125 for a week to get some practice in. That Honda 125 does about 150 mpg, I couldn’t believe it, used about a pint of fuel a day running about.

If I was commuting on a budget I would get one.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

I drive a car also and did my CBT last year. I decided to get a 125 – still riding it now – and will do my DAS this year.

Right move? Not sure. Feel more confident now but sure I would have been fine just to do the DAS straight away. I got a good deal on my 125 so will probably lose very little money wise.

And when I drive my car I do the same checks as when riding my bike!

joefm

I can see no harm in riding a 125 for longer if you have the money for a few days rental or even buying one.

Being familiar (second nature) with the bike and it’s controls before the DAS will be a big help.

And 125’s can be fun. Probably the only bike you can rag while being within the speed limits.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Motorbike – DAS and learning to ride’ is closed to new replies.