Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Motorbike clothing in hot weather
  • iolo
    Free Member

I’ve just been on my bike for a spin and felt like a jacket potato as it’s so bloody hot.
    Can anyone recommend a decent but not too expensive jacket/trouser combo for going out for a 4 hour blast when it’s in the 30’s outside?

5thElefant
    Free Member

Shorts and t-shirt always worked for me.

Stoner
    Free Member

check out the Revit Levante

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/revit-levante-jacket

I got it for pretty much that reason. It’s a two part jacket. The inner is water proof and has some thermal properties. It zips into an abrasion/padded fabric/mesh outer. In summer I take out the inner and wear appropriate layers underneath the protective outer. Sometimes I wear a rain shell jacket over a t shirt if there’s a risk of a shower to keep dry, but can lose the coat if it turns out nice.

allthegear
    Free Member

I’m partly ashamed to say I just rode about 5km across Milan in tshirt.

I know, I know, all the fear all the time. I was burning up even without ANY protection, though.

Of course, I never got out of 2nd so maybe a lot different to actually going for a spin.

As an aside, BMW S1000XR engines get bloody hot!!

Rachel

iolo
    Free Member

I rode to Sopron in Hungary in t shirt yesterday. All on back roads. Naughty so that’s why i’m asking. Today I went to Gyor and was on motorways so full kit. I just melted.

anagallis_arvensis

lazybike
    Free Member

I rode from Malaga to Cadiz in shorts and tee shirt…burned to a crisp! I’ve seen people riding in those mesh armour things..

kilo

I’ve got hein gericke stuff, trousers quite light weight, armoured but with mesh in some places to let a bit of air in, jacket with lots of vents, front side, sleeves etc, tend to ride in normal boots and not m/c boots in summer, if you’re moving its not too bad.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I cringe when I see folks riding without gear on.

I’ve seen the outcome of motorbike collisions first hand and always been thankful that my dad always buys best of gear for him and mum – and I don’t mean the most pricy flash gear.

His textiles have always provided top protection when cars have decided he no longer needs to be upright.

-he is a life long motorcyclist-former sports bike rider now tourer on n fjr1300 in Europe -well he was till a van hit him head on after the van overcooked a corner on a mountain road when he was just popping to the village for dinner from the chalet Bike was a write off…..but he’s looking for another. But it would have been a different result had he been lax on his protective gear after all its just popping to shops.

Probably preaching to the choir but it’s not what you do it’s what they do.

mogrim

Full summer motorbike clothing FTW. There’s lot of stuff out there, they’re fine when you’re moving but pretty awful when you’re stopped at lights etc. But then that’s also true for any other clothes.

I’ve got a Richa jacket and Suomy trousers, which are OK in Madrid heat – assuming you’re moving. TBH I can’t imagine anything else would be much better, they’re exceedingly well ventilated.

Head to your local shop and try some stuff on!

iolo
    Free Member

Does anyone know anything about Merlin stuff?This seems to get good reviews.

br
    Free Member

Leathers, or at worst textiles.

If it’s too hot/cold for either of these, use another form of transport.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

I’ve got some KLIM trousers,they have a lot of zipped ventilation & get good reviews.
    There’s a lot of choice out there,have a look here;
    http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/equipment-reviews/too-many-choices-jackets-boots-73999

siwhite
    Free Member

OP – I think I have a set of the Hein Gerike mesh trousers somewhere. About a 32-34 waist. I’ll gladly stick them in the post for a modest contribution to the White Family nappy fund….

colp

That moment after you have just filled up with petrol again and your Netherlands hit the lovely cool tank!
    Always ride in leathers on the road, just won’t risk it.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Get to Hein Gericke iolo
    Still running a set of their Master V and you’d never know its almost 8yrs old now and done over 40k miles.
    Never leaked – ever. Not once.

Edit: removable thermal liner, enough space to wear a heated jacket underneath through winter, storm collar that stores in the rear, loads of vents.

allthegear
    Free Member

Very obvious spam is obvious

scotroutes

Not a problem I’m currently experiencing but I’ve ridden with a t shirt and jeans while in France and Italy. I was a lot younger then….

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I have a Triumph mesh/textile jacket that has armour and a back protector. Got it from World of Triumph who always have Triumph branded clothing really cheap. Think I paid about £30? Is actually a decent casual jacket too. Seems like it’d hold up pretty well in a crash. I’ve had a lot of Triumph branded clothing and it’s good quality – rebadged Alpinestars etc.

I used to wear that with a cycling baselayer on under, kevlar jeans and some puma ankle boots and full face helmet.

Worked pretty well, but only when you’re moving. Stopped at lights gets you cooking, especially with the motor and exhaust heat. I think that is kind of inevitable though.

Ex-wife had a full set of Hein Gericke summer mesh textiles which were crash tested (40mph lowside) and stood up to it fine.

benp1

I have a mesh jacket which gets worn infrequently, still wear a separate back protector though

I find kevlar/aramid jeans to be a lot comfier/lighter than leather or textile bottoms

And I use short boots rather than long ones

On the move it’s mostly OK, in traffic or slow moving conditions it’s hot. I used to have a bike with an underseat exhaust, that was really hot!

Agreed re having a nice cool tank once you’ve filled up!

allthegear
    Free Member

I now have a Rev-It Neptune jacket and jeans. Three layers so can zip out the thermal and waterproof layers leaving something protective but really quite cool to ride in.

If I’m just out for a bimble, I also have Dainese Jessville jeans. Love them to bits – wear them on and off the bike.

Rachel

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Apparently bikers v road never turns out well (who would have thought it)

So wear what you like, but just accept the consequences.

tootallpaul

I just picked up a Furygan vented jacket.

Then it started raining.

🙁

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

“Drilled out” leathers?

craigxxl
    Free Member

Then it started raining.

I knew someone would be to blame.

I have a very old Hein Gericke vented jacket which is great, comes with a shower proof liner that folds up small enough to go in a pocket in case it does rain. Unfortunately it seems to have shrank and I’m looking at Rev’IT Airwave in a larger size

hammyuk
    Free Member

craigxxxxl – Member
    Then it started raining.
    I knew someone would be to blame.

I have a very old Hein Gericke vented jacket which is great, comes with a shower proof liner that folds up small enough to go in a pocket in case it does rain. Unfortunately it seems to have shrank and I’m looking at Rev’IT Airwave in a larger size

FTFY

Merak

I have one of these, its great.comes with a water proof in the pocket too.

httpsw.hein-gericke-outlet.com/hein-gericke-bullson-breeze-jacket.html

epicyclo

When I lived in the outback temps used to get up to 40ºC+ on the edge of the desert. I wore a leather jacket and leather jeans.

The important thing was to drink plenty water before heading out. The leather gear stops the wind blast dehydrating you – I tried denim but it flapped too much at speed and you get dried out too quickly.

On my last visit to Oz I wore a perforated leather jacket and kevlar jeans and that seemed ok, but it wasn’t really hot on the coast – rarely over 30ºC and on really hot days you could rely on a spot of cooling rain.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Motorbike clothing in hot weather’ is closed to new replies.