Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Motorbike 125cc Options/Decisions
  • Skippy

I have recently completed my CBT and would like to get some experience on a 125 before deciding which test to take. I’ve currently got the choice of a new 2017 bike with ABS or a 2016 without ABS, price difference is around 1k.
    So should I get the new bike with ABS and accept the corresponding price increase or get a second hand one knowing It may get a few scratches.
    I suppose I’m trying to understand if I will get the benefit of ABS on a smaller bike at my level of riding. My instinct is to go for the safer option but would be interested to get opinions from people with actual experience.

Also any advice on security as I’m told bike theft can be a problem.

Kato

I bought my first ABS motorbike last year because it came standard. I’d been riding for 15 years on bikes without it and never felt I needed it

Cougar

A brand new bike as a first bike after just completing your CBT? Each to their own, but I wouldn’t.

mssansserif
    Free Member

Don’t mess about on a 125. Do the biggest test you can and then get whatever you want. 125’s are expensive for what they are because of the young market.

Chew
    Free Member

No need for ABS. You’d have to be trying especially hard to lock the front on a 125.

Wouldnt buy a new bike unless you were going to keep it for 5+ years.
    After a couple of hundred miles you’ll be wanting something bigger

chewkw
    Free Member

If I were to ride a bike it will be Honda Integra with automatic gear.

A utility bike like this is good enough.

grim168
    Free Member

That thing is hideous. Bikes are much more than just transport. 😀

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Which bike are you looking at skip? Yamaha MT-125 by any chance?

If so, they’re expensive and doubt you’ll keep it any more than a couple of years before your CBT runs out.

I’m currently 1 year into a CBT and bought a nearly new Honda CB125F for a very good price – I could probably sell it now for the same price I paid.

But keen to move on to something bigger so going for the full licence this year so the 125 will be going soon.

So basically, just buy something with the mindset that you’re not going to keep the bike for long. ABS is reassuring to have for a learner but costly at £1k (my Honda doesn’t have it).

Skippy

Thanks for all the comments. I should add that I have ridden a bike before both on and off road but only when quite a few years younger and only up to 125. I know 125 is quite limited and I learnt that they are now restricted as I thought it was a bit slower than I remember. I just want to use a bike for local riding to and from the gym and shorter journeys, but keeping an open mind as I know it can be addictive. At the moment can’t imagine being able to handle a bigger bike, but I’m told that that outlook can change so will see how it develops.
    Still in two minds about the bike choice, don’t think ABS is essential on smaller bike, but it could help avoid avoid an accident and I think 125s hold their price quite well. On the hand I could do without spending the extra especially with all the other startup expenses.

The bike I’m looking at is an MSX125, CB125 would probably be the more sensible choice, but like the quirky look of the MSX. Also considered Van Van, but it’s a bit marmite.

tootallpaul

Skippy – Yamaha YBR125. Hold their value really well.

chewkw
    Free Member

grim168 – Member
    That thing is hideous. Bikes are much more than just transport.

That is a thing of beauty especially when it can be considered utilitarian and a workhorse. 😛

It is fast enough for UK road tbh. 😀

tootallpaul

And you will be wanting to move on to something bigger very soon. I did my CBT a year ago, spent a year on the 125’s – a combination of a Vespa LX 125, a YBR 125 Classic, and a Yamaha XVS 125. The Vespa was Mrs TTP’s, and the YBR was mine and is now hers.

I did my DAS last week, and got my Mod 1 on Friday. Mod 2 next Friday, then all the XVS 125 is going straight onto Autotrader.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Nsufhv]DSC01273[/url] by Paul Stanley, on Flickr

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

At the moment can’t imagine being able to handle a bigger bike

I had the same reservations. I went from absolutely no bike experience onto a 125, but after a few months things clicked into place and now I’m very keen for something bigger. Currently considering a Yamaha MT-07 or Honda CB650.

My CBT instructor at the time said I should move on straight away but I didn’t think I could. He was correct… 🙂

chewkw
    Free Member

tootallpaul – Member

[quote] GlennQuagmire – Member [/quote]

So the consensus is 125 for a year then straight to big bikes. :mrgreen:

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

So the consensus is 125 for a year then straight to big bikes.

Looks that way 😉

Not necessarily big, just bigger. I’m constantly pushing the 125 to its limits to keep up with traffic and it just gets tiresome after a while.

Fun around town, yep. Long commute, no.

allthegear
    Free Member

If you like the look of something, buy it. You’ll love it.

Mind you, what do I know? I’m clearly not to be trusted, having had three days in total on a 125, three on a 600 and then bought an 800…

Rachel

tootallpaul

I’m constantly pushing the 125 to its limits to keep up with traffic and it just gets tiresome after a while.

Agree. Completely.

And once you have done DAS 650 + seems the natural size.

chewkw
    Free Member

That Honda Integra is 750 (749 precise) so should be able to keep up with majority of the traffic I guess.

In the far east most people ride 100 – 125 scooter even for long journey so big bikes not the norm. 😛

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

In the far east most people ride 100 – 125 scooter even for long journey so big bikes not the norm

😐

mattsccm
    Free Member

Now here’s a thought.
    Have the original 125 rules ever been removed? Ie the horsepwoer limit only applied after 1st Jan 1982 (or was it 1?)I had a Cagiva 125 enduro bike registed between Xmas and new year just before the cut off. Supposedly 32 bhp although with a power band that Barry Sheene would have commented on. Most definitly leaner legal as it was “old”. Went like stink. Weighted bugger all. Now that would be different nowadays.

lotsroad
    Free Member

RE ABS I think this is a red herring. It doesn’t make you a safer rider: learning how a bike handles, brakes, weight transfer, grip…this is what makes you safe. Actually experiencing grip levels on tyres as they skid -pracitce area obvviously – is a good idea. Personally, I wouldn’t pay that much extra for ABS esp. since it doesn’t provide the real safety you are looking for. ABS can become somethign you rely on instead of developing real feel…if you are riding in such a way that ABS is kicking in you’re probably not riding safely..
    RE bikes obvs its a matter for you. I respect your choice to stay safe and build confidence on a 125… My favourites are the Suzuki Van Van 125 or the Honda Varadero.

gears_suck
    Free Member

If your bike is as you say for short trips and local riding, I think a 125 is fine. In fact, I’ve ridden for many years and owned a range of bikes from 150 to 1200. Currently I don’t have one but have been seriously considering a 125. I think it’s the riding that is fun, not straight line speed. Many of the modern 125’s look great and handle brilliantly.
    Top 10

grenosteve
    Free Member

ABS isn’t necessary – I’d go cheap for your first bike, there’s a good chance of dropping it off the stand, we’ve all done it!

I did 2 years on a few 125 (CBT), 2 years on a “restricted” 500 then onto a 650, then onto a 1200 BMW. The BMW was the easiest to ride and felt the safest – no revving it to death to go quick, just cruising along on torque. 🙂 Big bikes aren’t automatically fast and/or scary. They just need a bit more respect.

If you can afford it, just do your test and get a (cheap) big bike.

That first ride on the CB500 though, that was magic I’ll always remember! I was bricking it at the dealers, dropped the 125 PX off and was chatting to everyone for well over an hour because I was so nervous to ride the 500 for the first time.

turboferret

My first bike was a 750, before I’d even done any training.

Personally I wouldn’t bother with a 125, a tatty 600 like a Bandit would be perfect and you won’t be too upset when you drop it.

Cheers, Rich

Skippy

Im glad its not just me that fears switching to a 500. Would prefer to try one sonewhere safe for a first ride. Will stick with the 125 for now though.

tootallpaul

Skippy- this is why we have DAS training, so we can learn in a safe environment.

I spent half a day riding round a car park before I was allowed on the road.

I now feel more nervous riding the 125 – it just doesn’t have the stability of the bigger bike. Can’t wait to move up to my own bigger bike…

Module 2 on Friday. Bike shopping Saturday.

kayak23

How about a Mutt?

sobriety
    Free Member

Have the original 125 rules ever been removed?

As far as I know, yes. The new rules superseed the old. So if you’re riding any bike that’s over the power/power to weight ratio you’re breaking the law, but you’d be unlucky to get caught.

I beleive the crime is ‘riding not in accordance with the conditions of your license’ and carries a 6-point penalty and a fine.

robbo167
    Free Member

Have you thought about cruiser style bikes,like the xvs above?..the v-twins are bigger bikes so they feel more like “real”motorbikes plus you won’t be so cramped whilst riding it…Honda Shadow and Yamaha Dragstar are the main runners,the Shadows were built up to 2007 so you could get one thats not to worn out /rusty…really good engine,mine will do 70 ish and can keep up with and overtake traffic if you plan ahead,the same engine is used in the Varadero (later ones with fuel injection)..the xvs runs out of gears a bit quickly but is not as heavy so handles a bit different,the last ones were made in 2004 so you need to look closely at the frame etc..seen some really rusty ones about…and I’ve repaired a few with snapped off side stands..Seems a steady market for them when you have finished with it too,they seem to appeal to the older guys looking to learn to ride.

tootallpaul

robbo167 – what are you trying to say? 😀

rocco

I am in the same boat, although just about to take my CBT, with the intention of going on to do DAS straight away. However I have been thinking that maybe I am better to ride a 125 for a few months to gain experience before taking DAS. Although not being able to ride on motorways would be a problem.

When I have completed my DAS my plan is to go for an older 600 as a first big bike, something like a Bandit or Hornet, something cheap and nothing fancy that I won’t mind if, or when, I drop it.

Sundayjumper

Skip the 125, do DAS, buy something 600+.

I did my CBT, spent *one* day on a hired 125 to see if I liked it, and decided I really really didn’t. Did my DAS on a CB500 (this was in 2002), bought a brand new Bandit 600 and did not regret it one bit.

Skippy

Kayak23, not usually my type of bike but the one in your picture looks really good, is it yours?

benp1

When I did my DAS in 2008 I much preferred the 500 than the 125. If felt comfier, safer, more solid and more fun. I didn’t particularly rate the 125, I think it was a CG, it was OK but not fun. The 500 was much more fun, more power but it just felt more stable.

I bought a 650 after I passed

smokey_jo

If it has to be a 125 then either a tw125 or a Mutt. I rode an MZ.125 for 2 years and basically rang it’s neck everywhere as it was so gutless. As soon as I got the heat heights of a gpz305 I felt a lot safer.

kayak23

Kayak23, not usually my type of bike but the one in your picture looks really good, is it yours?

No, not mine. I’ve just noticed the brand lately and seen a couple around and quite like the look. If I was doing my 125 time again I think it’d be the sort of thing I’d fancy.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Motorbike 125cc Options/Decisions’ is closed to new replies.