• This topic has 10 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by sbob.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Motor Oil
  • wombat

Does motor oil go off?

Is it likely that an unopened 12 year old bottle of motor oil will still be ok to use to topup my car?

I bought the bottle about 12 years ago and it has sat at the back of my garage ever since.

And before anyone asks, yes, it is the correct grade for my current vehicle 😉

jeffl

You say it’s the correct grade but you also need to check the specs to ensure it meets your vehicle requirements. For example cars with a DPF quite often require a particular type of oil. I don’t think 12 year old oil would meet the spec as DPFs weren’t widely available in 2004. Happy to be proven wrong.

If it’s an “emergency” and you need to only top up it should be fine. Otherwise by the correct oil.

maccruiskeen

2004 was a vintage year – delicious – get it on eBay you’ll make a fortune.

rocketman
    Free Member

Seem to recall it goes off after 4-5 years if it’s been opened but that could be marketing. Unopened should be fine.

As above the main issue is whether it meets the requirements for your current vehicle

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Its been under the ground for millions of years so one more won’t make any difference 🙂

neilnevill
    Free Member

Dpf engines need low sulphur oil, stuff like vw spec 507.

No it doesn’t age in the bottle

wombat

Thanks folks, I’d better double check the oil spec for my engine…

Rockhopper, similar to my thought, the same applies to bottled water and table salt 😉

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

Never heard of motor oil going off, but some gear box oil and power steering fluids have use by dates usually 2-3 years from manufacturing, don’t know why?

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Some grades can absorb (adsorb?) moisture from the atmosphere. Especially those with lots of additives.
    So after a few years (especially if they’ve been opened) they won’t work as well as new stuff.
    Also (i’ve heard) that the additives can react with each other once they start to “go off”, makes the process quicker.

Some engines/gearboxes are very sensitive to this “not so good” oil.
    Others don’t care. I’d not want to put ancient oil in a shiny new auto gearbox. But a 10 year old diesel engine. Probably not so bothered. As long as it’s the right grade/spec. And the oils actually been stored somewhere, rather than dumped in the corner of a damp garage.

I had to dispose of about 3000 litres of posh engine oil when one of our logistics guys took a sample from each of half a dozen barrels then left the caps off.

Wouldn’t have been so bad, except the pallets were outside. In december. It rained.

Idiot.

sbob
    Free Member

My live in petrochemist says make sure you give the bottle a good shake as the contents can settle.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Motor Oil’ is closed to new replies.