Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • motor neurone disease
  • valleydaddy
    Free Member

what a cruel disease just lost my Mum to it 🙁

kiwijohn

My condolences.
    Lost my mum to it 6 years ago. Really shit disease.

IanMunro
    Free Member

So sorry to hear that.
    My thoughts are with you. 🙁

chipsngravy
    Free Member

One of the cruelest of them all. My Aunty lost both her parents and her husband to MND.

Thoughts are with you and your family.

loddrik
    Free Member

My sympathies. It really is one of the most horrific diseases.

Do you mind me asking how long ago her diagnosis was?

valleydaddy
    Free Member

not at all loddrick ready for the shock?

15 days ago

loddrik
    Free Member

**** me, really??! I thought it was 2-4 years!!!

carbon337
    Free Member

Sorry for your loss valleydadddy, my grandfather has it and it’s hard to see a strong former miner wither into a weak frail old man.

He has the longer strain thankfully and has had it for about 5 years now. He has server muscle wastage now and his arms are like skeletons.

hs125
    Free Member

Very sorry to hear of your loss. I went through the same ten years ago. A relatively unknown condition which affects so many. My thoughts are with you.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Sorry to hear your news, thoughts are with you.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Awful disease.

Deepest sympathy to you

X

redwoods
    Free Member

God sorry to hear that.. Lost my mum to MND seven years ago but in many ways it still only feels like yesterday 🙁
    Shocked about her diagnosis only being 15 days ago though – had she been ill for some time? Never heard of it happening that quickly before. My mum was diagnosed in the may and died the following January.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

I didn’t know it could come on so quickly either. Frightening.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

well we and the doctors thought she had severe arthritis but when the treatment for that was not working and her neck muscles failed she was referred to a Neuro consultant who ran tests and confirmed it was MND, the rest is history.

We know believe Mum just gave up and willed her life away 🙁

If you want to see what MND does to you watch this, be warned it is truly shocking

http://www.sarahsstory.org.uk/

thanks for you thoughts and good wishes

Pete

deluded
    Free Member

Tragic – all the best mate with trying to come to terms with the loss of your mum.

I note that Sarah was 34 when she was diagnosed – I was under the impression it occurred later on in life 😯

Hopefully this disease is on the end of some decent funding in order to find a cure or improve a sufferers quality of life.

mattbee

Lost a good friend to this 5 years ago. My thoughts are with you. X

redwoods
    Free Member

So sorry Pete. You’ll all be in a state of shock right now I imagine 🙁

That’s a pretty powerful video though. Difficult to watch but thanks for posting it. I’ve always found in the past that many people either don’t really know what Motor Neurone Disease is or have never even heard of it. They seem a bit shocked if you say it’s what Stephen Hawking suffers from – I think people confuse what he has with cerebal palsy sometimes as he’s lived with it for an almost inexplicable amount of time.

We also believe my mum gave up – the only thing she could control in her life was what she ate, and so I think as eating and swallowing became increasingly difficult not eating at all was easier and also hastened the end of her life. It sounds awful to say it but I’m glad it did and that she didn’t suffer any longer. You could see it written all over her face every day that just existing, was torture.

Awful, awful disease. My heart goes out to you.

project
    Free Member

Valley daddy sorry for your loss of a parent.

Bunnyhop

Valley daddy – really sorry to hear of your loss 🙁

duckman

Sorry for your loss, a mate in the rugby club died of it in his early 50’s just before xmas.

bren2709

Watched my Nanna die with this awful disease!
    So know what you are going through buddy!

ivantate
    Free Member

Sorry to hear about your loss. My uncle died from it a few years ago.

Just about as bad as it can get for everyone concerned.

racefaceec90

my condolences to you and your family 🙁

SaxonRider

My sincere sympathy, Valleydaddy.

nickswolves
    Free Member

So sorry to hear about your news and sincerest condolences. I lost my dad to that dreadful disease 10 years ago. He degenerated over 2 years which was awful to see as he went from being a strong, fit man to a frail and weak shadow of his former self. Got to be one of the cruelest diseases with their mind remaining completely normal but trapped in a body that weakens by the day.

matttromans
    Free Member

A truly horrific disease. We lost my GF’s dad to it earlier this year. Horrible. He degenerated from a highly intelligent, articulate, communicative man to a weak, frail corpse, unable to talk. It still haunts me now. I hope you’re bearing up ok.

lowey

Deepest condolences.

That Video is truly shocking.

tails
    Free Member

So sorry to hear this, horrible illness. x

unklehomered
    Free Member

So sorry to hear of your loss. I lost my mum 6 weeks ago, not much advice to offer than don’t rush stuff, and take some time to replace the memories of her ill, with those of her being her normal self.

I often see my Mum in the Kitchen doorway with a look on her face asking if I’m going to clean up the mess when I’m finished. I often didn’t 😳

It was cancer for us, but still very quick, 5 weeks. I recognise what you say about the wishing her life away as well, helplessness doesn’t begin to cover it. But I do beleive it was better than long lingering suffering. My mum was the busy bussling type who wasn’t made for lying in bed not in control of her life. didn’t stop me wrapping myself knots over it though.

Its a shit time. I found getting out on a hill on my own on the bike a welcome chance just to let it all out for 5 minutes.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

Thanks guys funeral tomorrow, going to be a hard day 🙁

stevemorg2

will be thinking about you tomorrow Pete

valleydaddy
    Free Member

cheers Steve I will try and catch up with you next week

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘motor neurone disease’ is closed to new replies.