Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Motor Home Tour – Scotland
  • franksinatra

I’ve got a week spare in the summer when Mrs S is working and I’m looking after the kids. I quite fancy heading north. This is what I want to do:

• 4 nights in a camper van
    • Me, three kids and dog
    • Thinking Highland 500 but not absolutely fixed on this
    • Want beaches, ½ day walks, wild swimming, big empty spaces and adventures
    • Will need to hire a van, not sure from where or what size. We are in the Borders so could pick up in Edinburgh / Fife / Perth etc.
    • Wife not coming so do not need to wash or eat anything other than bbq sausages

Any tips then on where to hire from, where to go or what to do? Final thing, don’t really want to break the bank on this as it will not be our ‘main’ holiday?

Ta

RobHilton
    Free Member

East coast: boring, West coast: loverly.

Is how I renember it

IHN

Want beaches, ½ day walks, wild swimming, big empty spaces and adventures

Harris

franksinatra

Been to Harris a couple of times and absolutely loved it but given time and cost constraint will probably stick to mainland

grantmccall63
    Free Member

Contact Glory Days in Edinburgh. They do Motorhomes and the fleet was new last year.

Speak to Dave Hardy and mention my name

Cheers

Grant

scotroutes

I’d avoid the NC500 this year. Head for Arisaig/Morar, Sanna in Ardnamurchan, Mull if you want an island option.

allthegear
    Free Member

Why avoid this year?

Davesport

Arisaig will be chock full during the summer. Pretty place but now over-run by the displaced from Loch Lomond.

Wild swimming, Plenty places to choose from. Top of my list would be Oldshoremore, Talmine, Clashnessie, Cuilken, Clachtol Beach, Achmelvich, Altandhu. I’ve had a dip at all of these and there’s great parking for your van in one shape or form. I’d like to recommend the rock pools in Glen Etive but I’ve not swam in these yet. They’re on the list.

D.

scotroutes

It’s going to be hellish busy this year. It was bad enough in 2016. The roads will struggle to cope and accommodation is already at a premium. The idea of finding some quiet spot with your camper is a fantasy.

I’m hoping this is peak NC500 and next year it’ll drop to more manageable numbers.

tjagain

scotroutes has decent options there. Plenty of hire places. I have used Atlas in Glasgow and lothian motor homes in Edinburgh. there is also big tree campers near perth but their vans might be too small

ivorlott
    Free Member

Any tips then on where to hire from

Open Road Scotland

km79
    Free Member

You’ll be lucky to find a hire place that will do you only 4 nights during the summer, most will be 1 week minimum. They are also very pricey (£1k plus per week) so I suppose …

Final thing, don’t really want to break the bank on this as it will not be our ‘main’ holiday?

… depends on how big your bank is.

Spin
    Free Member

Many of the rental companies won’t take dogs.

These guys do though:

http://www.roverrentals.co.uk

ticsmon

• Wife not coming so do not need to wash or eat anything other than bbq sausages

^^^ brilliant!!

duncancallum

my vote is

gairloch/loch broom area

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

East Kilbride and wishaw, unmissable.

gordimhor

Don’t rule out Cowal and Kintyre . You could link onto Scotroutes suggested route. It’s quieter,lots of historic sites some stunning beaches and has very very very excellent whisky Springbank Longrow Glen Scotia etc

revs1972
    Free Member

Just hire a standard panel van (big sprinter or crafter). These are fairly comfy up front for 2 passengers.
    Airbeds / cooking gear etc in the back along with all the rest of your crap for 4 days , table / chairs etc
    That’s what I’d do if the wife wasn’t coming . Save a few quid too

revs1972
    Free Member

Scratch that. Just saw the 3 kids bit

iainc

Nobeerinthefridge – Member
    East Kilbride and wishaw, unmissable.

, indeed combined with the Ayrshire Riviera it would be quite an epic 😀

TheDTs
    Free Member

We hired from
    http://www.highlandcampervans.com/faq.asp
    In Inverness, they do have some dog friendly motors.

vongassit
    Free Member

If you come up to the west coast & find yourself on single tracks, please remeber to check your mirrors & read the signs 😉

[/url]gif uploader[/img]

bikebouy
    Free Member

£1000 a week is an awful lot of cash for a van.

TheDTs
    Free Member

Good tip, get an internet shop in and have it delivered to the van hire place. Jump in and hit the road.

onehundredthidiot

These guys are local (Hawick) vw hire in Hawick

br
    Free Member

If you want ‘classic’ the guy at the valet near SBC has VW’s to hire too.

franksinatra

Wow, i seriously underestimated the cost.

Camping trip it is then!

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Motor Home Tour – Scotland’ is closed to new replies.