Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Moto G3 micro SD card problems & data recovery
  • scruffywelder
    Free Member

Recently I’ve been getting fed up by the lack of internal storage on my Moto G so I decided to put in a 32gb micro SD card (formatted as internal storage). I moved my media/photos and a few apps to the card when I did this.
    All went fine for the first few days (including a holiday with lots of photos) before I hit problems. The Facebook & messenger apps both seemed to have problems updating then the phone started giving “SD card not inserted, please reinsert” error messages.
    I’ve tried removing & cleaning the card & rebooting the phone. Sometimes the card shows up for a few seconds but cuts out again as soon as I try to access it. I’ve also tried to access the card by mounting it in an adapter and loading it into my laptop. No joy, the card appears unreadable.
    Has anyone else had this happen? What can I do about it?
    All I really want just now is to recover the holiday pics. What would be my best bet for data recovery?

GeForceJunky

My Moto G3 does the same thing, can’t use SD as internal storage reliability. Sorry no advice on recovery.

mikey74
    Free Member

I had the same issue: I replaced the SD card and it’s worked fine since. SD cards go wrong occasionally.

No idea about recovery, sorry.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    torsoinalake
    Free Member

+1 to this happening. New card fixed it.

Data will be gone unless you explicitly backed it up.

Cougar

Try Recuva.

Is it a branded card from a reputable source? That sounds like the sort of symptom you’d get from a lower capacity card that’s been hacked to claim it’s 32Gb when it’s probably 2 or something.

scruffywelder
    Free Member

Bugger!

I’m waiting to hear back from my local IT guy so fingers crossed…

If he comes up with something useful, I’ll post again for the other victims…

Shame as it’s otherwise a decent phone 🙁

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Cougar, it’s formatted as internal storage and encrypted, so needs to be in the phone for any data to be read.

scruffywelder, have you tried https://photos.google.com? If you have said yes, your phone will backup photos to here. Worth logging in and having a look.

scruffywelder
    Free Member

It’s a 32gb Sandisk bought from Tesco (don’t know if that’s a reputable source or not 😉 )
    I’ll give Google photos a try for the future, thanks.

scruffywelder
    Free Member

I think it was a corrupted Facebook update that caused the problem*.
    Put card back in phone, rebooted.
    Nothing. Bugger.
    Rebooted again (it has sporadically worked on startup, so worth a try)
    Card found!
    Uninstalled BBC weather app from the card (first on list, easiest to ditch quickly).
    Card self unmounted. Bugger, try again.
    Rebooted.
    Uninstalled eBay app.
    Card self unmounted. Bugger, try again.
    Rebooted.
    Uninstalled Facebook.
    Card useage immediately dropped from 22gb down to 5.5gb.
    Uninstalled Facebook Messenger.
    Uninstalled Wikipedia app.
    Card has been running for about 90mins without issue. Before it would crap out in 30 seconds or less.
    Going to try it for a few days before I try reinstalling the apps.
    Photos now uploaded to Google photos (thanks torsoinalake) and backed up onto laptop/NAS. 😀 😀 😀
    Interesting experience but not one I would care to repeat.

* this time, anyway…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Moto G3 micro SD card problems & data recovery’ is closed to new replies.