Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Motivation to not eat the cake – help!
  • SamB
    Free Member

Reading the BMI thread (and the fact that it’s summer!) has reminded me that I’m trying to shed a bit of flab. I’m not particularly overweight, but I would like to slim down the one-pack. I do plenty of exercise already, so I’m fine with the “move more” part of the equation. So, I need to try and fix up the “eat betterer” bit.

I think the main thing I struggle with is fighting the temptation of cake. My meals are normally fairly healthy, but I think the two big problems at the moment are
    – I have “large portions” for breakfast (and it’s often cereal – so fairly sugary)
    – I’m easily tempted by cake/chocolate at work and after dinner

Any pro tips for fixing this? Breakfast-wise I’m thinking of switching back to pre-packaged porridge. It’s probably not as good as the real stuff, but it removes my ability to eat too much (I won’t eat two packs of the stuff). Either that, or start weighing breakfast cereal out…

I’m a bit stuck on the cake part though. We have free, unlimited chocolate and crisps at work. They’re on the floor below me, but I know they’re there… waiting for me… calling out to me. I have a similar problem at home – it’s all too easy to nip out to the newsagents next door and get a chocolate bar to have after dinner. Any pro tips for staving off the temptation? Motivational stuff, alternative food options, …?

MoreCashThanDash

Get a photo of yourself in shorts with your stomach “relaxed”.

Look at it every time you go to eat something.

jekkyl

flubble your belly with your hands when you feel like eating.

p7rich
    Free Member

Stick at it. You’ll be surprised how quickly you lose your ‘sweet tooth’ (cake tooth??). A couple of years ago i went a full year without any chocolate or crisps. After a few weeks you just stop craving and don’t miss it.

Flaperon

Go for a ride / run and THEN eat the cake.

Esme
    Free Member

“free, unlimited chocolate and crisps at work” 😯
    Wow, any vacancies?

PMK2060

Chew but dont swallow :). Part of my job is to sample new cake ideas and this is the strategy I am now following.

_tom_
    Free Member

At home, dont buy it. Work you may struggle though. As for the cereal, that’s what I had to do as I love cereal – pre packaged stuff stops me over eating it. Or weetabix as I would hate to leave the biscuits in the packet at an odd number 😆

or have toast for breakfast. Or even better, no carbs and something with protein and fat like eggs.

jonba
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with eating a large breakfast. Better that than getting hungry mid morning. Try finding something healthier to replace sugary cereal? Personally I have a massive bowl of muesli and full fat greek yoghurt. Stops me being hungry and binging later on.

When I was trying to get my weight down for the hill climb season last year I kept things like carrots, mange tout, carrots and green/mint tea in my desk. If I felt hungry, I’d have a drink or eat a carrot. By that point I’d realise I wasn’t hungry or get distracted and forget about it.

Ultimately though, I like cake, so this year I’ve done about 10,000km already to balance it out a bit.

Northwind

Rscott
    Free Member

think every time you go to eat a cake (i presume all cakes are home made) that small children may have been helping, thus meaning all sorts of baggies and dirt are probably in it.

alfabus
    Free Member

the cake is a lie

momo

I’ve dropped nearly 3st so far this year, the biggest change has been to replace cereal at breakfast time with an omelette, keeps me going right through to lunchtime. Lunch will be rice or similar, no bread and a healthy tea. I do allow myself treats, but usually only when I’ve been out for exercise (like tonight, 20 miles on the bike so rewarding myself with a beer and ice cream)

leftyboy
    Free Member

We have free lunches and as much chocolate/crisps/snacks as you want.

I eat fruit, again free, and a salad or soup for lunch. I don’t have any snacks and since stopping these I’ve shed 8 pounds in 3 weeks! Just need willpower there’s no other way IMHO but to not give in and be a bit hungry for a few hours a day.

HTH

mrblobby
    Free Member

We have free, unlimited chocolate and crisps at work.

I see no option but to binge massively on the free chocolate and crisps for a few days. This should hopefully then put you off for a good few months.

buck53

I’m currently on (more of) a weight loss drive (than usual) after stagnating and letting things slip from a successful period last year.

I’ve found that having a larger breakfast has helped BUT I’m having homemade granola so that I know exactly what’s gone into it and I’m having it after my cycle to work. I weighed out a decent portion once and then counted it out in spoonfuls, means I hit the right ballpark without it feeling like a punishment, the way weighing stuff out can do.

As far as snack attacks go, at home I don’t keep things in the house and if I get the urge I so something to distract myself, being busy in the evenings rather than hanging around not doing much also helps. At work I take in a homemade ‘healthier’ sweet treat as a mid-morning or afternoon snack. (Quinoa French today bake atm) but ultimately it comes down to willpower. Personally if I really behave for a week AND exercise more/harder I can see and tell a difference, which gives me a boost. Even if it’s just something small like my calf muscles getting a little bit pumped and defined.

Sorry for the long post, but I feel your pain!

benjishucksmith
    Free Member

More cake, more cycling.

timidwheeler

You can eat whatever you like, provided you are wearing nothing but tight-fitting bib shorts and staring into a full length mirror as you stuff yourself.
    I recommend Rapha bibshorts for the ultimate disgusted-with-myself feeling.

fibre
    Free Member

I’ve lost just over a stone this year so far not by doing anything radical (eat rubbish at the weekend still).

The main thing I changed was trying to generally cut down on anything sugary and high carb snacks (for me: crisps, fizzy drinks and juice), especially those in between meal snacks. Also I’ve been logging my weight daily on “My Fitness Pal” app, that way I can’t lie to myself about current\past weight and being able to visibly see a graph as well as my appearance really helped.

_tom_
    Free Member

Try finding something healthier to replace sugary cereal? Personally I have a massive bowl of muesli and full fat greek yoghurt

muesli has quite a bit of sugar in it as well though, some of em have way more than a lot of normal cereals. Weetabix and total yoghurt is great though, I find the yoghurt so filling.

molgrips
    Free Member

I, the constant dieter, have lost 3kg in 2 weeks.

You couldn’t possibly admit that you’re a worse dieter than molgrips now could you? Get to it.

SamB
    Free Member

Thanks everyone for the input. I particularly liked the first two suggestions, which I think are probably the best option right now!

Also liking the “veg in the desk” approach to eating. I used to try that with nuts (cashews, almonds) but they’re pretty calorie-dense too so may not be that helpful.

Maybe I need some sort of public embarrassment motivation, like promising to post the Rapha kit photo in 3 months 😳

molgrips
    Free Member

Embarassment like me losing more weight than you?

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Motivation to not eat the cake – help!’ is closed to new replies.