Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Motivation in winter to get out and ride!!!!!!!
  • 888trojan888
    Free Member

I am working like a mad man at the minute and motivation to ride in the current weather is at an all time low.

As the nights are in and the weather is cold and wet………how do you motivate yourself to get out and ride???

Trimix
    Free Member

I go every Tuesday some Thursdays plus every weekend, sometimes both Sat and Sun.

Motivation may not me the issue, it may be the ease with which to have your fun that is the problem.

Ive got good lights, so the dark is fun.
    Ive got a van so getting there, changed and back is easy.
    Ive got a jet wash so cleaing the bike is easy.
    Ive got a group of like minded mates so there is always someone to ride with.
    Ive got a selection of base layers, tights and jackets so cold is not an issue.
    I ride in places where mud is not a problem, so its fun all year round.

Perhaps these are the things you should look at.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

A turbo trainer in the garage.

spindi
    Free Member

Turbo trainers are a bit boring though. Unless you can park them in the front room with the TV. I’d recommend some good lights and kit (as above) and also considering commuting to work if you can. Once you get used to it you just get on with it.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

The pint at the end of each night ride 😉

Plus we really enjoy it.

_tom_
    Free Member

I don’t, I’ve started going to the gym for the time being, since my rides in the week are only for fitness rather than pleasure anyway 🙂

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Rides with no fun = doomed

888trojan888
    Free Member

Yep all good suggestions apart from the turbo trainer……not really my thing.

Need to find some new riding buddies as i have recently moved up north to Ashton-under-lyne.

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

I reckon riding buddies is the key. I don’t really have any that I can just meet up with of an evening and that means I haven’t been out in ages. Back home soon though so beaucoups de shred is in order…

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Turbo trainers are a bit boring though.

Only if you are doing it wrong.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Hmm. I cycle to work everyday , Road training ride sat (or rollers if weather very bad/icy) and MTB sunday. I have to admit I push harder and ride further if I have company 🙂

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Turbo trainers are a bit boring though.

Some years ago, a friend of mine had a french girl lodging who was into triathlons. He used to sit in the living room pretending to watch all manner of crap on the telly while she turbo-trained in skimpy kit in the same room.

888trojan888
    Free Member

A little french girl in skimpy kit would definately help my motivation 😉

spindi
    Free Member

Some years ago, a friend of mine had a french girl lodging who was into triathlons. He used to sit in the living room pretending to watch all manner of crap on the telly while she turbo-trained in skimpy kit in the same room.

I don’t think I would look very cool in such a situation – drool running down my face whilst pretending to watch antiques roadshow intently. Then again, maybe that’s the program demographic anyway.

avdave2

If I don’t ride I don’t get to work and if I don’t get to work I won’t get paid. I could ride on the roads and avoid the all the mud and water and the hills as well come to think of it but I wouldn’t enjoy it as much. Hub geared or single speed hardtail or rigid bike helps as they require very little cleaning.

Trimix
    Free Member

Gets some mates (biking mates, that is) – that way you will ride more and have a laugh. Make sure they are slightly fitter than you so your riding also improves.

coastkid
    Free Member

I look forward to winter riding…in fact to each season-if you can tell them apart!. For me its as much about the skys and views as the trail in front..take this now we have thaw/frozen snow on trails…not ideal but the sky`s are amazing…
    from sunrise`s…

001 by coastkid71, on Flickr
    to sunsets…

008 by coastkid71, on Flickr
    I like to ride to get home just after sunset and look forward to the hot bath followed by a few pints sat infront of a roaring wood fire…
    Working outdoors i except changeable weather and have learned to except it all for as it is…something maybe not as easy to do if you work indoors…but i see the scenery and wildlife as the benefits of sometimes severe weather conditions to endure (often damp on-shore cold winds the worse)
    Good point to find some friends to go Nightriding with, just an hour around some local woods will put a smile on your face the next day at work…often i think how lucky i am to enjoy whats on my doorstep on a bicycle and there is alot of folk out there who would love to do what we do and cant or never will be able to… 😮
    Take some jelly babies or other sweets to share with friends…
    Shouldnt recommend this but a hip flask shared can work wonders when out on the trail… 😉

william
    Free Member

I find it is very easy to make excuses not to ride, cold, mud, rain, dark, but if you get past it you will have a good time so just get out there.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

I’ve entered some spring sportives as motivation to make sure i get some miles in through the winter. Managed to do a few hours the last couple of weekends, so it seems to be working.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Motivation in winter to get out and ride!!!!!!!’ is closed to new replies.