Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Motivation
  • oblique
    Free Member

It is getting to that time of year that I find it really hard to motivate my self to ride. Most of my riding is becoming road riding as most of my riding i do on my own any how and any trails are a drive away.

Does anyone on here have good tips to keep me motivated this winter?

Cheers

blue_mountain_goat
    Free Member

Plan a trip away, a race or an event for early spring, a target that means you want to keep your skills and fitness in form!

njee20
    Free Member

Take a month off. Don't ride your bike at all, after a month you'll be clamouring to get back on it and brimming with motivation just when it's getting cold dark and generally crap.

Or you'll give up the sport altogether, maybe depends how much riding you do the rest of the time!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    simonfbarnes
    Free Member

get some riding buddies :o)
    Riding on your own is poo.

woody2000

You're looking for excuses. MTFU and get out there soldier!

BTW – you live in N Yorks and you have to drive to get to trails? Really?
    BBTW – Nowt wrong with road riding over winter, but get yourself a few buddies as simon says.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Nowt wrong with road riding over winter

I beg to differ, I long for ice & snow, the stark outlines of bare trees & clear, bitter air :o)

foxyrider
    Free Member

get some riding buddies :o)
    Riding on your own is poo.

Happy to ride with mates on on my own – I prefer sharing the experience with my mates but I guess I am motivated by knowing the enjoyment I get from riding. I also go riding more on the road int eh winter esp when really really wet and muddy esp if I only want a 1-2hr blast. Each to their own I guess.

Motivation I think is all to do with that first step out the door – once you out the mood usually takes you. Have to think of the grin you get of a craking bit of singletrack or descent, climbs tec?

zaskar
    Free Member

Buy the right clothing, mudguards and lights and go on a dry day.

I ride alone and soemtimes gps-both have cons pro/etc.

nuke

Motivation I think is all to do with that first step out the door – once you out the mood usually takes you.

Yeah, that's spot on for me. Always reminds me of my Mum saying "You'll like it when you get there" when my brother and me were moaning about going to swimming/judo/etc

tracknicko
    Free Member

Get injured mid summer, so you sit around for 4 months waiting for a shattered knee to support your own weight, whilst it goes from 25 degrees and sunny to -10 and sh!tty.

Then, when you can finally spin a pedal at all, look outside and go 'oh look its hurricane season and its minus 57 centigrade' and still go out riding… as not riding sucks ass and at that point you'd ride in ANY weather.

Right now i'd give almost anything to get back on my bike. So stop whining princess, suck it up and go have fun. If its that much of a battle to will yourself to get on your bloody bike then do something else with your life.

bialled_dikes
    Free Member

Get some riding mates.

oblique
    Free Member

That is all good advice, thank you.

I think getting some people to ride with would give me a good reason to get out but i have recently moved up here and don't really know anyone in local that i could ride with.

With out sounding like a crazy stalker from friends reunited how is a good way to find people in the area. I have looked for MTB clubs and there arn't any.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Oblique: post a thread man! STWers are lovely folks.

oblique
    Free Member

i have got a post up asking for local riders, will keep posting till i get some responses i guess.

Kramer
    Free Member

STW – northern chapter group ride. A motley crew to be sure, but all as nuts as each other, and there are bound to be some near you.

Also I picked up one of my regular riding buddies at a trail centre. 😆

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Motivation’ is closed to new replies.