Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Mother in law argument…
  • burko73

I’m on holiday with the inlaws.

Mother in law is borderline paranoid and we’re having a heated discussion – can anyone help?

She spends most of her time looking on the internet at property to the point when a house comes up in her street she’s right on it and comparing it to hers.

She “can’t believe that the old sale particulars of people’s private houses are still on the internet”

It’s a personal invasion of privacy by people googling on the internet (usually her) and they can see what people have in their house and where the windows and doors are in case they want to break in!

So her question was how do you/ can you get the old sale particulars removed from the tinternet?

I said to her that it’s only her that she wants to protect people from but that didn’t go down well.

Another thing that I ponder over is that her son and my father in law have the front cameras on their iPads masked with gaffer tape….? What’s that about, can someone really hack my iPad camera whilst I’m busy typing on singletrack?

rs
    Free Member

yes, put some clothes on FFS!

thestabiliser
    Free Member

I’m in her house now and tbh there’s EFF all worth nicking

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Kill them all – no camera footage will be available

burko73

Come on, I need answers, this is a serious situation……

jonahtonto
    Free Member

i had an estate agent photo my house for the landlord and it was only as she left i realised there were pic of 5 bikes in them about to be published on the internet with outside photos of the house and the name of the road.

oh, and its surprisingly easy to hack a webcam. why is a different question

dannybgoode

But an iPad camera is not a webcam per se.

To the op – by mother in law (and associated family) are you actually married or can you still escape?

GrahamS

its surprisingly easy to hack a webcam

A PC-based camera or a standalone IP camera maybe. But (unless you are on the NSA naughty list and have an iPad installed with their special software) no one is having your iPad’s camera.

burko73

Can you get your old house sale particulars removed from the web?

She’s looked at our old house sale particulars but I explained to her they are the old owners and not ours so I’m not worried! I don’t think she got that.

konabunny
    Free Member

There are quite a few people that cover the webcams in tablets phones etc

burko73

No estate agents on here then? 😉

mattyfez

Op needs to switch to a new brand of coffee, preferably one that’s not full of cocain!

mrsfry
    Free Member

On the iPad go to settings. Go through the apps and turn off permissions for parts they want to access.
    As for the house on net thing, no you can’t really as other websites poach house sale details and being the net it’s a bin that never gets full.

PS
    I cover the cameras on my laptops and front camera on my phone 🙂
    Story on the net, papers,BBC that if you don’t want to be watched, the only real way to do it is cover your camera
    and is it is their stuff don’t worry about it. 🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

Your main mistake is going on holiday with the MIL

Who knows what the contract you sign when advertising your hoise for sale says, plus as agents generally subcontract out the internet listings they probably don’t know either. Another thread recently a guy found his house was readvertised after he took it off the market

hels
    Free Member

My stepfather comes up with all kinds of mad stuff. I learned years ago not to argue with him about it – not worth it. Standard responses “gosh, that’s interesting, anybody fancy a walk along the beach today ?”

growinglad
    Free Member

I always have a bit of tape over my tablet camera….nobody needs to see my facial expressions when I’m “surfing the net“…

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Make (an eyeless) papier mache mask from an old DM and glue it to her face.

jam-bo

mouseprice have an archive of photos and plans from house adverts. Its behind a paywall now but used to be free to access.

It was quite useful when working out how to internally layout our extension and some mods to see what other houses on the road had done without having to peer through the windows…

in short, once its on the internet, its on the internet for good.

Cougar

they can see what people have in their house and where the windows and doors are in case they want to break in!

If a couple of burglars standing outside your house with a crowbar have to google where the door is, they’re probably not the greatest threat to home security ever.

Another thing that I ponder over is that her son and my father in law have the front cameras on their iPads masked with gaffer tape….? What’s that about, can someone really hack my iPad camera whilst I’m busy typing on singletrack?

That tells you all you need to know really. Buy her a roll of Bacofoil and get on with your life.

Scapegoat

Have you tried explaining that if they are old particulars of places that have been sold, the precious things aren’t in the house anymore?

amedias
    Free Member

don’t tell her about Google streetview whatever you do!

scandal42
    Free Member

You could have so much fun here.

Get stuck in

GrahamS

My stepfather comes up with all kinds of mad stuff. I learned years ago not to argue with him about it

I take a similar approach with my dad’s partner when she comes out with the latest bollocks she’s read about the EU wanting to decimalise eggs or the Human Rights Act giving free puppies to paedos.

Yes she is a Daily Mail reader and yes she’s not very bright. She believes everything it prints without question 🙄

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Thank your lucky stars your wife isn’t insane.

IA

her son and my father in law have the front cameras on their iPads masked with gaffer tape….? What’s that about,

Accidentally answering facetime calls whilst browsing on the bog etc?

marcus7
    Free Member

Could be worse, my MIL told me that wearing PJ’s in public should be a criminal offence when quizzed as to on what basis the law should change her answer was pretty much because she says so! (oh and I’m a smart arse for asking the question apparently). 😀

mmannerr

Slightly OT but tape over laptop webcam became norm at office when one mate accidentally turned on his cam when one of the big bosses was doing presenation over Skype 🙂 Nothing dirty was going on, he just was yawning all the time and nice view of his nostrils was on the big screen at main office for a good while. 🙂

gilesmartin81

Look at Zoopla sold prices, they tend to have links to the old particulars from the sales.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Mother in law argument…’ is closed to new replies.