Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Bent on one hanger
  • parling
    Free Member

Any tips for straightening a rear hanger on a 456 summer season I think one one have made it out of the worlds strongest steel. Ive tried hitting it with a hammer bending it with mole grips its still quite warped and twisted i cant seem to get it straight, has any got any handy tips.

Cheers

argoose
    Free Member

Warm it up

parling
    Free Member

what would be best a heat gun or blow torch

v10
    Free Member

Proper hanger alignment tool is usually the best bet, might be worth a quick trip to the lbs.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

A hanger bolt is the same as a chainring bolt. Bolt an old drive crank by the spider to the hanger and use it as a lever to bend the hanger straight.

Bonkers but it might work

shaggy

Bike shop. Or Park DAG-2.

hrcmonty
    Free Member

A bolt with the same pitch as a hanger bolt, put through a ‘long’ bar and use leverage.
    But to be honest, you’ll be lucky to get it good enough to ensure good gear change again.

shaggy

Bending it is the easy bit. Bending it to the correct place is hard.

argoose
    Free Member

Blow torch

stratman
    Free Member

Shaggy is right. Trip to the lbs. they’ll have the tool and the knack. I tried to straighten mine and messed it up. They fixed it.

parling
    Free Member

cheers that’s the problem its in a lovely “s” shape and i know for a fact in its current shape my gears ain’t working.

mrelectric

Trying to straighten it hardly ever works, at least not for long. Get a new one (and a toolkit spare); did you try BETD?

jota180
    Free Member

I don’t think he’s talking about a removable hanger

nuke

Peterpoddy required on this thread…he diy fixed a bent mech hanger on his Inbred 853

parling
    Free Member

yep its a steel frame so it cant be swapped for a shinny new one. will call my LBS in the morning but would have liked to have fixed it my self so I can ride this weekend. Would also like to know if i can fix it in case it has an accident in the alps next year

stratman
    Free Member

I couldn’t even get the rear mech to screw back in when I’d finished messing it up. I’d also bent the parallelogram of the rear mech – dear do overall. That’ll teach me not to ride into a trench, if my bashed up face didn’t!

JoeG
    Free Member

A big (12-15 inch) Crescent wrench is good for the bending. Alignment is the issue as said above. If it were my bike, I’d let the LBS handle it. They should have the proper tools and experience doing it.

parling
    Free Member

Cheers everyone, stratman yeh my rear mech has died (thanks sram for making a rear mech you cant take the whole cage off)

doubledunter
    Free Member

Did the same thing on my ss and mangled the mech, bent it back into place to get me home, local lbs properly straightened for pennies 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

adjustable spanner and a good eye, simples.

iain1775
    Free Member

Cynic -al +1
    Straightened the hanger on an original inbred that a mate gave me after it fell off the back of his car at 80mph and bounced across 2 lanes of the A46
    Been fine since, gets 8 of 9 gears perfectly, top one is a bit hit and miss but if I could be arsed to take it I’m sure a workshop would sort that easy enough
    Took 20 minutes to get it good
    Blowtorch to heat up a bit, it was compressed so wheel wouldnt fit in, bent it out so I could get a 10mm threaded bar in (happened to have one in shed and easier than using a wheel)then just used combination of a big metal tube and an adustablespanner to bend it back as straight as I could by eye
    It’s still a bit twisted but bike serves as a run around now and has been off road a few times since (strong frames them on ones!)

shaggy

8 of 9 gears perfectly,

Or take it to a bike shop, especially if you don’t have the proper tools. Blow torches are not required. It will work 100% with a bit of bending.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Having seen the Proper tools in action that is best. That and someone who knows what they are doing.

Either that or look at the On One Sales page for a replacement frame 🙂 Cheaper than some hangers/drop outs out there

Northwind

Useful bodge-it tool for the straightening is an old cup-and-cone axle- the thread is the same as the mech bolt, so you screw it in and 1) you’ve got a nice lever and 2) you can easily tell when it’s straight. (if you want perfection, get a bit of threaded rod or similiar and stick it in the dropouts to give you a comparative straight line.

Now… Not sure about this but gut feeling is that heating it up isn’t required but should reduce the strain on the dropout? Obviously steel’s pretty bendable and durable but it’ll weaken eventually… Anyone confirm or deny?

jonba
    Free Member

Bike upside down and adjustable spanner worked for me. You can get most of the hanger in the jaws to control the bend better. No need to heat it. Trick is getting it straight. Lbs if you are not sure. Would not be much.

Andy-R

What Northwind said, except I’ve used a complete wheel rather than just the spindle for an in-the-field repair.
    The wheel gives you leverage and something to sight the alignment with.
    As long as it ends up “square” – it wouldn’t matter if it was 1mm further in or out as you can adjust the mech to take this into account.

t-p26
    Free Member

Its an On-One ffs, cheap as chips, bin it and buy a new frame!
    <joke!>

or maybe not?

iain1775
    Free Member

Shaggy, I agree bike shop would be best but bike was donated to me, with the challenge of getting it back on road at zero cost using only spare partsI had lying round
    I achieved that, if I was actually likely to use it I would take it to my mate who has the tool to have it sorted properly

parling
    Free Member

me and my adjustable spanner will have another crack tonight otherwise pray the bike shop can fix it on sat want to ride this weekend while the ground is nice an hard. One thing though seen how touch the hanger is ive no worries about the rest of the frame.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Bent on one hanger’ is closed to new replies.